Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

more than one level?

WendyK

Cavy Slave
Do guinea pigs like using a ramp to get to a different level in a cage or do they basically keep to the ground level? I'm trying to decide how to set up a new cage - thanks in advance for input!

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
It takes a few days to get them used to the ramp. I feed pellets and veggies on my top level, so shavings don't get stuck to the veggies or in the pellet bowl. I think it is a good thing to have.

Eventrocker33

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig absolutely loves her ramps, so I would recommend having atleast two levels. Take a look at my pictures.

WendyK

Cavy Slave
Nice pics = what is the ramp made out of and what is it covered with?

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Her ramp appears to be bent frids with fleece.

Two 20"x4.5" peices of coroplast hot glued together covered in fleece work too.

pennick

Cavy Slave
Check out my cage. 3 Levels and they use all of them. I keep a water bottle and their food on the 2nd level. I put treats on the third. Each floor has hidey houses. They enjoy them all.

WendyK

Cavy Slave
Wow cavy slave - your cage looks like an absolute blast - you have a lot of interesting hidey houses in there - did you invent some of them or are they all purchased items?

Piglet

Cavy Slave
wendy, who are you talking to? I'm really tempted to build a second level again...Last time I didn't like it because my pigs stayed under the second story 'cause it was dark, Perhaps I can put the loft in a different postion, so light still reaches underneath? I don't know...

Wendy, most pigs will use the upper floor. It is so cute watching them waddle up and down the ramp :)

pennick

Cavy Slave
If I am the cavy slave you are referring to, I am always purchasing different hidey houses. Just to show you how addicted I am, for mothers day I had my daughter purchase me the ferret tunnel blanket. I clean out their cage every 2 weeks including their cozies, hidey houses, whatever and replace with different ones. Keeps them on their toes. For lack of free exercise space I try to make it up in different ways for them.

Everyone should get a unpainted wicker basket that your piggy can climb into with a pillow. My piggies enjoy jumping in to it while relaxing and chewing away on the basket.

cornhill

Cavy Slave
WendyK said:
Do guinea pigs like using a ramp to get to a different level in a cage or do they basically keep to the ground level? I'm trying to decide how to set up a new cage - thanks in advance for input!
Take a look at my pictures. my 5 pigs run up and down their ramps every day. They have the free run from 4 til 10 nightly and they take advantage of it.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
cornhill! *waves* nice to see you back on here

Eventrocker33

Cavy Slave
WendyK said:
Nice pics = what is the ramp made out of and what is it covered with?
It is bent grids and then coroplast secured by cable ties.

cornhill

Cavy Slave
Piglet said:
cornhill! *waves* nice to see you back on here

Thanks Piglet. I haven't gone anywhere. I stay on line 24/7 and I read the forums just about every day. I just don't say much for all the bickering that goes on here. Other than that, I still learn from this site.
Once again, thanks !

Guinea_Gal

Cavy Slave
Cornhill, you don't leave the race track up 24/7, do you? How would you sleep with piggies running all over you? Hehe!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
My girls have a loft and they love running up and down the ramp. I am thinking about converting their loft (also expanding it) and let that be Bubba's temporary home until he is neutered. The girls will lose most of their upper level for a while but I would leave a grid there so they could go up and say hi to Bubba. He would be blocked off from the girls by grids so no accidents can occur. Right now Bubba is in a temporary 2x2 but it's still going to be a couple months before I have enough saved for the neuter. He is in the living room and the girls were moved to my bedroom where it's cooler. I don't really have enough room for Bubba's cage on the floor next to the girls cage, that's why I am wanting to make him a 1x6 loft on top of the girls. Then when he is neutered and is ready to be with the girls, I can open up the entire upstairs to all the pigs.

cornhill

Cavy Slave
Guinea_Gal said:
Cornhill, you don't leave the race track up 24/7, do you? How would you sleep with piggies running all over you? Hehe!

No, I take the ramps down around 10, so they are secured in their big cage for the night. As much as they pee & poop, I wouldn't want them to sleep with me. I pick up enough poops to start a fertilizer farm.

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
I have a small hay loft for my six girls. Five out of six will go up there. My 5yr old piggie hates ramps and will never go up one even if there was food there. But it is deffinately worth building another level!

WendyK

Cavy Slave
Oops - I didn't realize that a bunch of you have cavy slave under your name - I'm just getting the hang of this - I am SOOOOOOO impressed with everyone's creativity with giving quality space to your piggies - it's all very neat - thanks for all the neat ideas - the piggies look very happy!

WendyK

Cavy Slave
Oh - I suppose everyone has cavy slave under their name - OK - so I'm not the brightest bulb in the box!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Almost everyone has "cavy slave" under their name. There are other categories such as cavy person, moderator, administrator, banned, etc.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.