Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

and floor time

MackieDelilah

Cavy Slave
I am just learning the importance of floor time and lap time...a bit slow on the uptake but better late than never I feel.

Obviously floor time is important for exploration, exercise etc. and lap time is important for bonding. But how long should lap time be for and is it a daily event like floor time? If it is daily would you recommend doing one after the other or leaving a gap, giving them a chance to rest in their cage?

I have two guinea pigs so I'm trying to let them have floor time together but lap time separately to give them both my attention equally. Also because I live by myself so it is easier to handle them one at a time.

Any information or tips would be great, thanks!

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
It is really entirely up to you ! Some people let their pigs out for floor time and later, after they've been back in the cage, take them out for some lap time, maybe while watching TV. If your pigs are super friendly, they might come up to you during floor time and let you hold them, especially if you have a treat for them! Others have lap time first and set the pigs out to play. That is what I do. Only one of my pigs is a snuggler, but I do a few minutes of lap time at least a few times a week and sort of check out the pig at the same time, feeling for lumps and looking in their ears, checking out the eyes, etc. Anything that works for you is fine.

frillint

Cavy Slave
It is all kind of up to you and the pigs. I let my 4 out for floor time together, but for lap time I do it one by one. My 4 are different 2 of them with just lay down the other 2 are restless., they will lay still for a little, but then want to get up. Also sometimes they will start moving around and squeeking when they need to go potty. You just kind of need to get to know. your pigs and what they like.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.