Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello! =)

jessesarmywife

Cavy Slave
Hello. I am new to this forum but I thought I would say hello to everyone and try to make some friends here. I have had a couple Guinea pigs growing up and I just got one about a week ago. I named him G-Force because of the movie and the white up the middle of his face.lol He is long haired though and I love him to death. I have never had a long haired one though so that's something new to me. I thought he would be a great pet for my fiance's son which is going to be 7 in December and a pet that would be easy for him to take care of when he comes over. Of course I take care of him when his son is not here but anyways, I would greatly appreciate anyone's welcome! Thanks!:)

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
Welcome! I LOOOVE long haired piggys! I have two, soon to be 3 long haired pigs. They are texel. What kind of long hair does your piggy have? I'd love to see pics :) Also, what kinda cage is he in? Just curious, I always love hearing about and seeing pics of other members cages! Hope to see you around the forum!

jessesarmywife

Cavy Slave
303828_271334876215191_100000160426120_1392009_2515975_s.jpg He is in a fish tank right now but I am getting my cage from my grandmas today. He is a lot bigger than a 20 gallon tank. It has the plastic bottom and the wire top.

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
He looks like a silkie! Very pretty! And yes he needs out of that tank! Tanks are HORRIBLE for guinea pigs, no ventilation and the tank is so tiny! Im sure he will like a bigger cage with bars so the air can flow threw.
Have you considered a C&C cage or a custom made cage? Most pet store cages, well actually all pet store cages are way to small and guinea pigs really need a lot of room to run around and with a C&C cage, you can amke is as big as you'd liek and whatever shape you want/need.
Do you plan to get him a friend?

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
P.S. Noticed your user name, you hubby in the military? Mine is :)

jessesarmywife

Cavy Slave
I want to get him a friend. I usually dont like getting animals is just 1 so maybe after next week (depends on money) we can go back and get one of his brothers. Im just scared of getting another male that they will fight. I may consider building him a cage. Ill talk to my fiance and let him read about it. Yes. He is a silkie and he sooooooooo soft. Shes got others up there that is calico and has swirls on them and all kinds of different one. If she has the ones that has the swirls ill probably get 1 of those if it isnt a female. He was in the military. He got honorably discharged like 2 years ago. He was in Iraq for a couple years.

jessesarmywife

Cavy Slave
my photo i set as my profile isnt showing on here yet when i post. Is it because i am new? When I go to my profile I see it as my main pic.

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
I seen the pic, hes pretty. You could always go to a rescue and adopt a guinea pig? There are so many homeless guinea pigs out there needing homes and plus, most of the guinea pigs in rescues get neutered/spayed so that way you dont have to worry about babies or fighting! That would be a great thing to do rather than buy one, adopt. Just sayin' its up to you though. And yes, guinea pigs LOVE to be kept in groups and pairs as they are social animals and get lonely.

jessesarmywife

Cavy Slave
OK how do I find a rescue for them?

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
my photo i set as my profile isnt showing on here yet when i post. Is it because i am new? When I go to my profile I see it as my main pic.

There are two images, one is your profile image that people see when they click on your profile, but the main one is called your AVATAR. You need to upload whatever image you want displayed with all your posts as your avatar. Please make sure that your avatar is of a guinea pig in some fashion. We don't allow non-guinea pig avatars. But your profile pic can be anything you want. And your avatar is also editable in from your control panel.

jessesarmywife

Cavy Slave
thank you cavyspirit!!!

jessesarmywife

Cavy Slave
I also have a 2 level cage. Would that be better than the 1 without levels? Its not as roomy though form what I can remember as the one without levels. i may be wrong.

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
Depends on the dimensions. Get some pics and post in the cage section of the forum and others can help you outmore

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.