PDA

View Full Version : Good morning from Greece

faye_arv
08-25-11, 12:21 am
Hello everyone, I'm from Distomo Greece. I don't have any cavy's yet, I'm waiting for them to wean, I'll have them in a couple of weeks, I'll upload pictures then.

Best regards,

Faye

KiwiCavyAdorer
08-25-11, 12:28 am
Hallo Faye and welcome here!

there is a wealth of information on this site! Have you picked(chosen) your piglets yet? How many are you planning to get? there are wonderful cage ideas here, if you don't already have one set up.

faye_arv
08-25-11, 01:51 am
I've chosen 2 little girls, they are currently 1 1/2 weeks old, I'm waiting for them to wean so I can go pick them up. As for cage ideas, you hit a sore spot there, the cube cages haven't come to Greece yet and no supplier will send to Europe (at least I haven't found one). So I'm looking for the largest cage I can find. Luckily, I've got some time on my hands to look.

lissie
08-25-11, 02:19 am
Hi! Welcome to GPC.

As for the cage, can you get something built?

This user is also from Greece and her cage is amazing.
Candy Cherry home - Guinea Pig Cage Photos (http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=17024&title=candy-cherry-home&cat=500)

SweetiePig
08-25-11, 07:23 am
Oh how exciting I bet your anxious and tired of waiting, right?!? haha.
I cant wait to see pics! :)

faye_arv
08-25-11, 09:52 am
14685 I'm very anxious, I feel like I'm going to be a mommy again!! LOL

My babies are going to be the two that have a little white in their fur. You can see the 3 sisters munching down with their mommy!! :-)

faye_arv
08-25-11, 09:57 am
Hi! Welcome to GPC.

As for the cage, can you get something built?

This user is also from Greece and her cage is amazing.
Candy Cherry home - Guinea Pig Cage Photos (http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=17024&title=candy-cherry-home&cat=500)

Wow what a beautiful cage!!! It looks so simple to make...is it high enough? It looks like they can easily jump out.

Could you add a link with her name so I can pm her. I'd like more details on how she made those cages...for one thing where did she find the squared wire thingamajigys that she has connected to make the second cage??

lissie
08-25-11, 04:25 pm
Here's her member profile.
Member Profile - Guinea Pig Cage Photos (http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/member.php?uid=12231&username=mariatito)

Her cage walls seem high enough. I think they look short compared to the size of the cage.

For regular C&C, grids are 14 inches (35.56 cm) high.

Here's another pic of her cage.
http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/data/512/medium/Candy-Cherry_home4.jpg (http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=17010&title=candy-cherry-home4&cat=512)

Kim37040
08-25-11, 05:04 pm

My babies are going to be the two that have a little white in their fur. You can see the 3 sisters munching down with their mommy!! :-)

The babies are too cute. I am excited for you.
Seeing that you are from Greece made me pull out photos from 2 trips I took there years ago. I was fortunate to visit a friend in Thessaloniki a couple of times while he was serving in the Greek military. Beautiful and some of the tastiest food I have ever had!

Welcome and good luck with the cage!

faye_arv
08-25-11, 05:08 pm
Thank you very much...I found a similar cage although not as well decorated on a Greek site where there is a video explaining the construction of the cage. I hope my husband is up for it :-)

SweetiePig
08-25-11, 05:09 pm
Aawwwww how adorable!! :)

KiwiCavyAdorer
08-26-11, 04:03 pm
Hi Faye,

oh your little girls are look like munchkins - they are so cute!!

Cages and cage building and cage modifying are one of the most fun aspects discussed here! :) you'll be happy to know that lots of us girls get cages made all by ourselves too... when the hubby's aren't too eager at first, but then lots of times their pendulum swings too and they get all into it and helpful lol.

WOW that cage that Lissie showed is so lovely!! nice to know the possibilities exist for you there, one more thing to relax about.

faye_arv
08-26-11, 04:36 pm
I was so stressed about the cage!! :melodrama Now I'm at ease...I decided to go with the Coroplast plastic for the base and to add some rabbit wire so I can hang my water bottles and hay. I found an easy how to video and it seems like you can't mess it up!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdWdcOrVtn8&feature=player_embedded

I'll add pics as soon as I make mine...oohh I can't wait...time seems to stand still...when I'm in the kitchen cutting up veggies or fruit I think, "If I had my piggies now I'd be saving them a portion too!" I'm counting the days!! :)

KiwiCavyAdorer
08-26-11, 07:55 pm
Hi Faye,

See - world of opportunities suddenly replace stress.... nice hey!?

I watched the video - not that I speak Greek - you'll see from the forum on cage building and environments on here that things are pretty similar - a little different - in that there is always space made for the guinea pigs to run laps around their cage. Exercise is paramount to well being. Thats why so many folk end up building a loft for their kitchen and hay. More space to run around and popcorn.

I keep my foods in different places separated. Pellets in an anti spill ceramic bowl, veggies on a matt, and hay in it's own place. They like to pee and poop in the hay that's why I separate mine.

Check out the Fleece Project too - three layers (U-haul pads, and anti-pill polar/ blizzard fleece - are sewn together and laid as a single matt on the cage floor.)

How exciting now for you! Look forward to the progress!

faye_arv
08-27-11, 01:29 pm
Can they be litter trained? If yes why so many layers or are they for mistakes? Do they poo where they eat? Should I put the hay over a litter box?

lissie
08-27-11, 03:55 pm
They can't be litter trained. Some pigs will train themselves, some won't. They do use the litter box more if there's hay and food in there. I do find that they like to use dark corners, so I cover my hay box with towels too.

I think the rabbit wire is a good alternative. JUst be careful of sharp edges.

Have you seen this gallery? Might give you more ideas.
Alternative Cages - Guinea Pig Cage Photos (http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showgallery.php?cat=512)

Do you have wire closet shelving? Something like this:
http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/data/512/medium/IMG_0014.JPG (http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=22737&title=new-cage&cat=512)

Another idea, garage shelving and garden wire.
http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/data/512/medium/IMGP0021.jpg (http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=19276&title=garage-shelving-2fgardening-wire&cat=512)

This cage base is made from shower stall and the sides are closet shelvings.
http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/data/512/medium/DSC_00351.JPG (http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=19726&title=shower-stall-cage&cat=512)

* click on pics to see more details

SweetiePig
08-27-11, 04:52 pm
I really like the idea of the garage shelving and garden wire! Very neat and pretty

faye_arv
08-27-11, 05:34 pm
I wonder if there is a way to make the garden shelving and garden wire a two floor cage...maybe my husband can put a whole in one of the shelves and we can add a ramp plus the extra space on the bottom can be used for storage.

KiwiCavyAdorer
08-30-11, 03:53 am
I'm sure there would be a way Faye, no reason that it couldn't be worked out. I am just in the process of adding a second floor to Maximus von Lichtenwalder's secure cage. So that when he is not out on the bed (I have a waterproof picnic blanket I put on to protect the douvet, plastic side up then cover that with quilted coverlets for him to be on top of) he can have better exercise area. He loves the bed so much for the space it gives him, but when I am not home to supervise the cat then he goes to the secure cage.
I think I've altered his cage every week since he came to me a month ago! I use temporary materials and see how they work out in practice, then I list what he really seems to like the most and adjust platforms and so on...
He also seems to really enjoy the novelty of the new changes...lol

I think they are hardwired to pee on grass and hay, like they were intended to fertilise the world. I often change the hay and shavings underneath it, as soon as I feel its wet. Maximus von Lichtenwalder tends to go pee in only two place in his cage so it's easy for me. But he poops on his running tracks, where he sleeps and in his hay. He avoids pooping in his pellets or on his veggies mat.

faye_arv
08-30-11, 07:28 am
My husband now says that garden shelving is too dangerous for my son's room because they are steel, he wants to make something similar but with wood. We just have to agree with the size.

SweetiePig
08-30-11, 09:18 am
Well, its up to you on what and how you wanna make it, just keep us updated and show pics of the progress.

KiwiCavyAdorer
08-30-11, 06:13 pm
Hi Faye,
it's absolutely up to you two to talk and agree on your girls cage as no-one but you knows your situation, that's the reason that so many wonderful cage idea's are available to everyone.
Just if possible go bigger than the preferred guide. Your piggies will reward with their extra space. The minimum requirements are just that Minimums and here they are so you have a nice easy reference when discussing things with your hubby... It is from the home page of this site:

Two pigs = Preferred is 2x5 grids = 10.5 sq ft 27" x 71" (inches)
Two pigs = Minimum is 2x4 grids = 7.5 sq ft 27" x 56"

Remember to have Fun with this process....

SweetiePig
08-30-11, 06:46 pm
Cage building is super fun!!! You should definitely enjoy it :)

faye_arv
08-30-11, 11:07 pm
I finally talked my husband into making a big cage, it's going to be 1,5x0,80m that's about 59"x31,5". We're going to make it out of wood, the kind that the kitchen counters are made from so it's waterproof.

I also saw a nice cubby hole/house that doubles as a second floor. I was wondering how big it should be made. Can someone tell me how high/wide is should be?

I'm also having trouble figuring out how to organize the cage, can I use the big inside corner for a hiding place/house or will they be using it as their bathroom?

Should I put litter boxes in all the corners and on top put hay and water bottles?

Also, is fleece ok for the summer? It gets really hot here in Greece I wouldn't want them to get sun stroke, I was thinking of maybe a cool bed sheet on top for the bedding, what do you think?

I've also read about mites, do they get those from going outside in the grass or is it possible to get it from being inside the house?

I've found a store that sells alfalfa seeds for planting and am going to plant an area in my yard for my babies, they can eat it fresh, I don't have to dry it do I?

One last question, when should they get their first bath and nails clipped after how many weeks? Mine will be 5 weeks old when I get them.

Thank you for your comments and support!

KiwiCavyAdorer
08-31-11, 01:28 am
Hi Faye,

What great news!! your cage is going to be wonderful and big!! YAY!

Your loft only needs to ensure that both piggies have ample space and no food fights or cornering can occur - so no bullying happens - it must be big enough for peace...
Perhaps someone else knows dimensions?

I don't think there are going to be any definite answers as to how you should arrange your cage... it will be the piggies own choice where they prefer to go to the toilet... not all piggies, it seems, like to go in the same places as everyone else's piggies... my piggie doesn't go in any corners at all, he doesn't go where his new favorite sleeping spot is either... I'd suggest try one thing and see how you feel about it and then try another as the piggies let you know over time.

I've not ever had mites so I'll leave that answer to someone who knows.

Yes they can eat fresh alfalfa, up to their 6 month of age, then the calcium is too high. Pregnant piggies can also eat alfalfa, but adults should not have all the time access because this can create problems in their health. You will be fine to feed it fresh, most people have to have it dry because they can't grow it.

Piggies don't have to have baths. Unless there is a problem it seems that there is some preference to bath as seldom as possible as it is not so natural for them, also if you are one that likes your piggies bathed please be sure to buy the right kinds of soap as their skin is hyper sensitive to soaps. There are few kinds that are gentle enough. I've read a lot about people just sponging down the butt area as and if needed rather than frequent or regular soap and water baths. I have not had to wash Maximus von Lichtenwalder at all, he smells beautiful - rather like the faint fragrance of a fresh cucumber.

Nails should be kept nice and trimmed - around every two weeks. Careful here also, they have a little vein of blood that goes down into the nail, make sure you avoid it. There are threads on nails specifically.

I am so glad you have some resolution on your cage size - thats fantastic! Well done you!!

kathlaaron
08-31-11, 04:09 am

Welcome Faye ! :)

What beautiful piggies ! Ohhhh aren't they adorable...they look to be silky abby's is that right ? I have an abby too, named Cuddles...I got her when she was 6 weeks old. I am so happy for you, to be getting these two precious girls! You have come to a great place to learn and share all about how to take great care of your guinea pigs.

kathlaaron
08-31-11, 04:32 am
He also seems to really enjoy the novelty of the new changes...lol

I think they are hardwired to pee on grass and hay, like they were intended to fertilise the world.

My girls ( especially Cuddles) love LOVE it when I not only clean their whole cage each week, but really express great jubilation when I change the "theme" every week. Every week it's a completely different set-up in their cage.

Do you know--I know this may sound dumb, but I had never really thought about it that way before. How true and basic a conclusion that is, that they are "hard-wired" to pee and poop on grass and hay just like their ancestors did. It's just that I think sometimes we forget the type of animal that they are, and where they came from and what comes "naturally", for them. My thoughts are running away with me now, so I will just end it here, but...anyway, thanks for that "aha" moment. Maybe I sound silly, I don't know !

P.S. Don't even get me started on zoo's...( have strong feelings on that too, though they are mixed)

logansmomma1228
08-31-11, 06:39 am

AWW They are so sweet! The white and brown one looks like mine! I like the Abysinnians, they have just the right amount of hair :) Since I got her I have been picky about getting a short haired one!

I can't wait to see what you do with your cage; I am in the same process. I have been experimenting with different setups and toys for her to play with. She likes to scamper around at random times and I put a capri sun box in there that she plows through as a tunnel! Lol

I am going to work on securing my cage more today since I will have some extra time. Then I will be getting more cubes to make a stand sometime in the next week.

What are you doing for a stand? I don't remember if you said that or not, I know you said you are making an awesome wood cage.

faye_arv
08-31-11, 08:35 am
Basically the stand is part of the cage, the bottom of the cage is going to be made of kitchen counter wood and it's going to have legs (most likely with wheels for easy cleaning). The sides are going to be elevated so the hay doesn't get out and above the sides are going to be the picket fences that I've bought. In the front I'm going to leave a few places with plexi glass so they can look out better. I'm going to make a house out of the same wood with a ramp so they can get a little higher and take a look around. I'm going to place it towards the wall of the cage so there is no danger of them getting out. I'm going to buy a hay rack and make a few more hidey holes and see what nice toys I'll be able to find at the pet stores.

KiwiCavyAdorer
08-31-11, 06:11 pm
Hi Faye,

I forgot to answer your question about a cool material, my opinion in anycase, as I understand the fleece project feedback and other threads about fleece, fleece is used for its superior ability to wick pee down into the woolen layer thereby helping to keep piggie dry and the odour is then less.

What I've noticed with Maximus von Lichtenwalder over time is this... he always pee's in the wood shavings parts of his cage, he pee's on hay, and on the very edge of the towel I put his feed bowls on, he doesn't pee on the cotton cosy's, but he will pee on the inner fabric of a toaster cover covered in cotton. He won't pee on his fleece pad. Now I'm not sure if all piggies do this but he likes to back up to the edge of fabric and then pee with his butt hanging off the edge. If he needs the loo whilst on your arm he wiggles to the edge, but I've learned the prior signals now so I can avoid it.

I have Egyptian Cotton things for him to lie on. They are nice and cool. I also have towel fabric, fleece fabric and an alpaca knitted scarf which he adores. Must be the South American in himlol

I don't know if fleece would be very hot, I know I often find Maximus lying on different fabrics on different days. When he lies under his calzone douvet sometimes he is on the towel base and sometimes on on the fleece pad. (he has taken to climbing up onto his cage roof from the al fresco dining platform I made to extend his cage.... I've secured it well. I throw the douvet over the top as we are still cold at night, towel base is thinner so I figure it's cooler for him.) I guess Piggies know best! and we figure it out as we observe them.

How nice of you to think about them enjoying a look out and around. They are Very curious wee creatures...

faye_arv
09-08-11, 05:37 pm
My father surprised me by getting me a custom made cage. He doesn't know much about cages or guinea pigs for that matter so the cage wasn't exactly what I had in mind. I made some minor adjustments and it's looking like a pretty nice cage. It's all made of wire (unfortunately even the bottom, luckily I'll have the fleece at the bottom so it'll be ok.) The cage was closed at the top and only had two small doors in the front. This wasn't at all convenient since I couldn't fit my hand all the way in the cage. What I did is cut the top off and sealed the doors. With the excess wire made a small second floor for the kitchen area.

My cage size is 13 sq feet. I have a question, I don't know if you've noticed a post I made about my gps sister needing to be adopted...well I was thinking 1st is my cage large enough for a third piggy and 2nd. is caring for 3 piggies compared to 2 a lot more work or is it pretty much the same as just two maybe a little more? Should I take the leap or just stay with two? Keep in mind that I'm a new cavy mommy, I don't have prior experience with cavies, with rabbits, hamsters, cats and dogs yes but not with gps.

SweetiePig
09-08-11, 06:18 pm
Can you post a pic of your cage he got you?

faye_arv
09-09-11, 03:53 am
I'm going to receive legs with wheels so the cage will be higher. When I got it, it was closed on top but with only two small openings/doors in the front. I took out the top and kept only a small piece where I'm going to add the second floor so they can't get out. I still haven't cut the wire for the second floor, I just rolled it up so I could get a feel of how the towels and fleece would fit it the cage. I'm going to do the cutting tonight, my hubby's going to bring good wire cutters. The cage has a tray underneath so that hay etc. won't go all over the place. I don't know if you can see it well in the picture. The cage is 13 square feet. I asked earlier but didn't get an answer yet, would this cage suit 3 girls instead of 2? I'm worried about the third sister, I'm afraid she's going to go to a pet shop. :sad:

kathlaaron
09-09-11, 04:26 am
Hello !

Hmmmm it looks to be big enough for two "baby" piggies.. but not two adult ones, in my opinion. The cage looks to be ( c&c grid size) close to a 2x3, comfortable for one adult piggie, a bit too snug for two adult piggies.

I would also highly suggest using some form of coroplast, which some people can find at sign shops, or old political posters, if nothing else, for the ease of cleaning. I would also suggest not adding a second floor, but add more length for now, to what you've got.

If you decide not to continue with what you have, there are many people who have made cages using closet wire shelving, that most department or hardware stores should carry. Is there a "home depot" type place where you live ? For I know that Home Depot cuts it to the length you want, also.

Have you had a chance to look at the alternative cage section on this site ? There are some photo's with the closet wire shelving, that I was referring to there. I am so sorry if I didn't tell you what you want to hear, but honestly, am just trying to be helpful to you !:)

faye_arv
09-09-11, 05:13 am
On the cage requirements for 3 gps it says preferred 13 square feet. I have 13 square feet for 2 piggies and you're telling me that it's too small for two grown ups? Why does it have the table if it's not the preferred size, also, how long till they become full size?

kathlaaron
09-09-11, 07:08 am
No, you are exactly right about the cage requirements, I guess it just doesn't look like 13 sq. feet to me, which is equal to a 2x5 C&C sized cage. Are you sure it's 30"x62" ? If it is, then that is certainly enough room. I do NOT mean to offend or upset you in any way, just trying to help you as you are in the process of building....that's all.

bpatters
09-09-11, 08:05 am
The table is correct, and 13 square feet is fine for three pigs. One thing you might do is make sure the ramp between the two levels doesn't occupy too much space on the bottom level, and isn't place where it interrupts their running room.

Pigs are usually full grown at around nine months as far as length goes. Mine got a little heavier after that, but have been at a stable weight since they were about a year old.

Evangela
09-09-11, 08:20 am
Welcome, nice to have another Greek aboard! This is a great website for all your Guinea Pig needs. Best of luck to you. These are the most lovable pets anyone can have.

faye_arv
09-09-11, 09:07 am
Welcome, nice to have another Greek aboard! This is a great website for all your Guinea Pig needs. Best of luck to you. These are the most lovable pets anyone can have.

That's encouraging because I read really mixed impressions on this site. On the one hand I'm soooo excited on getting them (tomorrow) and on the other hand I'm scared to death!! LOL

I hope we can get a lot of Greeks to join, this site is a MUST! Your piggies are adorable!

kathlaaron
09-09-11, 09:41 am
is caring for 3 piggies compared to 2 a lot more work or is it pretty much the same as just two maybe a little more? Should I take the leap or just stay with two?

I just wanted to say how sorry I was for the recent stupid posts I made to you on cage size. I really messed up, and I am sorry. This really IS a wonderful, warm friendly place to learn all about guinea pig care, and swap fun piggies stories!:)

* Caring for 3 piggies is really not that much more work or care than 2 piggies. The only time I "think", it makes a difference is in Vet costs. I think if your heart is really pulling you toward keeping the 3rd, I say go for it !

Evangela
09-09-11, 10:07 am
Thank you very much. Nothing to be scared about, just enjoy them. This site will help with your guestion on feeding and anything else you may want to know. You will learn by trial and error as I did. If I can be of any help, please let me know!

SweetiePig
09-09-11, 11:42 am
Your cage looks fine and what you did, with removing the top was a great idea! And making a second level is even better! I cant wait to see it when its finished! Make sure to post pics!! As far as the size goes, the size is fine for 3 piggys! To your question about 3 guinea pigs vs. 2 guinea pigs, I have personal experiance on this one. I went from 2 guinea pigs to 4 guinea pigs within the same week and I have to say, it is no different besides having to fill there bowl a little more often and hvaing to give a little more water more often, other than that, everything is the same. The only noticable thing Id say is vet bills, you would have 3 instead of two so thats an extra change on one having to go to the vet but its unlikely if they stay healthy,ect. So I doubt you would even be able to tell the difference in having just the two or having three. Thats my opinion! I love having my 4, keeps things interesting lol

KiwiCavyAdorer
09-14-11, 01:35 am
Hi Faye,

wow! things have moved along for you in a big way, how nice that your Father cared to help by giving you a nice big cage! I really wish you all the best when your girls arrive... Caring for a guinea pig is THE most wonderful experience I have had. I adore Maximus von Lichtenwalder, he is SO SWEET in nature. As a personal preference I would go for more than two. They are truly meant to be in a group by design. I long for the time I can increase my numbers.... Let us know with a pigture or two what you decide... its so nice to be back after an absence!

faye_arv
09-14-11, 04:51 am
Hi Faye,

wow! things have moved along for you in a big way, how nice that your Father cared to help by giving you a nice big cage! I really wish you all the best when your girls arrive... Caring for a guinea pig is THE most wonderful experience I have had. I adore Maximus von Lichtenwalder, he is SO SWEET in nature. As a personal preference I would go for more than two. They are truly meant to be in a group by design. I long for the time I can increase my numbers.... Let us know with a pigture or two what you decide... its so nice to be back after an absence!

The girls are home with me since Saturday, check out my post/diary:

http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/about-guinea-pigs/64370-wendy-winnie-diary-two-piggies.html

faye_arv
09-26-11, 02:35 pm
I became a cavy slave!!!

I know I haven't been updating lately. Well, the girls are getting more and more used to us. They don't disappear when they know we are in the room anymore. They eat from our hands even when they are in their cage although they tend to go to my son more, most likely because he is lower down, closer to the cage whereas I loom over it. They also like lap time, they relax and make little noises I gather from pleasure. Winnie surprised me the other day, I was petting Winnie and Wendy and had them next to me on the couch, (on a water proof sheet and blanket on top of that) and Winnie suddenly jumped on my lap! I was soooo surprised!!!

I did do something stupid yesterday, though. I have a "brush" which is a plastic glove, I don't know if you know the kind. Well I tried to brush the girls with this and I guess they didn't like it because they got annoyed pretty fast! I stopped only after a few tries but they got aggravated and started to popcorn in defense rather than in enjoyment. I put them right back in their cage as fast as I could and was disappointed and guilty for the whole incident. I guess I have to get a comb instead. I'll also have to be more careful. Today they were back to their chipper self! Popcorning all over the place.

kathlaaron
09-27-11, 02:55 pm
I became a cavy slave!!!
I have a "brush" which is a plastic glove, I don't know if you know the kind. Well I tried to brush the girls with this and I guess they didn't like it because they got annoyed pretty fast! I stopped only after a few tries but they got aggravated and started to popcorn in defense rather than in enjoyment. I put them right back in their cage as fast as I could and was disappointed and guilty for the whole incident. I guess I have to get a comb instead.

Congratulations on becoming a cavy slave ! Yaaaay ! :D

I "think" I know what you mean about a "glove brush" but I am not sure. I use a brush that is for pets, it is small with semi-soft plastic bristles, and with the little white knobs on the ends. At any rate, I brush my girls ( even if they don't like it too much, kind of like getting their nails done, ears cleaned, and teeth checked ) at least once a week, but usually twice. It is very good for their skin and fur, as it loosens any dirt, dead skin, and helps reduce shedding. It also encourages the natural oils from their skin to disperse throughout, keeping it healthy and giving your piggies a soft, shiny coat of fur. I highly recommend brushing your piggies, even if they have short hair.

http://www.guinealynx.info/grooming.html#brushing

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images/Categoryimages/normal/p-29079-38811-smallpet.jpg

I was able to find the brush that I use for my two girls. This picture above is the one I use.

Sometimes they like the brushing, other times they don't. I am very very gentle, especially around Cuddles ( my Abby) hips, as they are "bonier" than my other girl's, and protrude outward a little bit when she is sitting. Cuddles overall is much more petite in stature, and she is very dainty !

faye_arv
09-27-11, 03:22 pm

This is the glove brush I have. It is gentle but maybe because it is rubber it pulls too much on their fur? I had the same for my cat an bunnies and they never complained. I have two abbys so I figured I should brush their fur at least twice a week. What about if I use a comb you know the old fashioned mens combs.

Today I bought them a plastic T shaped pipe. They just looooved it. The problem is they pooed and peed in there and made a huge mess. Now I'm sure they are all stinky! What can I do about this, should I put a small towel in the pipe to pick up all the poo? Will it stay in there or will the girls pull it out? I also added two teddy bears well one teddy and one dinosaur and I found the teddy in the pipe as well...isn't that cute they wanted company :-)

I received a book on caring for gps yesterday...oh my God you wouldn't believe some of the stuff it says in there!! I feel bad for the animals whose owners have the book but no internet! I'll post more on that tomorrow!

By for now :-)

kathlaaron
09-27-11, 05:02 pm
Even though I have never seen a glove brush before, what you have pictured there up above,is what I had imagined them to look like. Although, you might be right, about using this type of brush, since the rubber nodules are so short, it may indeed "pull" on their fur, rather than "brushing through" their fur.

Personally, I wouldn't want to use a metal or plastic comb, in case their are snarls in your abby's coat,( especially for even longer haired piggies) which you wouldn't know while combing, until you hit one, and you heard EEK !( ouch) You also want the bristles to have contact with their skin while brushing, otherwise you are defeating the purpose. I like the ones like the one I use, because it is a good size, it has semi-flexible bristles at a good length, and it has knobs on the end of each bristle to prevent scratching their skin.

I have YET to hear of a piggie who doesn't love those PVC pipes !! I have never gotten any ( no reason really, they already have so much stuff, you know ?) but as far as the peeps/poops mess, I would just wash/dry it out every night before bed, or when you wake up in the morning. I mean you could velcro a small piece of fleece/u-haul pad to the inside and remove that as it gets dirty, but I think washing it out would be much easier.

Yeah...from the few books that I have read on guinea pigs, they are very inaccurate or have a lot of mixed truths. I am just curious, what book did you buy ? I have one from a long time ago, that I got when my girls were little, called the Animal Planet that is a good example of "mixed truths", and is horribly out dated.

faye_arv
09-28-11, 03:29 am
The book is called "Guinea Pigs A Complete Introduction" published in 1987. I'm a member of a book exchange site and I found this book and one more I don't remember the title. This is by Margaret Elward. First off it talks a LOT about breeding/grooming etc for shows. In her 50 years of experience in breeding she says and shows a pic of their food that is "A sampling of food for cavies includes common edible seeds and a green vegetable, such as lettuce." It says that it is ok to give them shelled seeds such as peanuts and sunflowers! This is nut (pun intended!).

Just a few of the crazy things I've read so far! She has a pic of a little girl using a toothbrush to comb a piggy, is this a good idea?

kathlaaron
09-28-11, 04:01 am
Toothbrush to brush a piggie with ? Weird. I really can't relate or understand breeding and showing piggies. It's horribly wrong in my opinion, and makes me crazy mad ! :mad:

Well out dated books, from un-educated authors in this specific field of guinea pigs...1987 well that was more than 20 years ago. Not much we can expect from that period. Hopefully excellent web sites like this one,:) specifically geared to guinea pigs will become more accessible to millions of people via the internet, therefore eradicating inaccurate information and educating the uniformed public.

bpatters
09-28-11, 06:04 am
Nothing wrong with using a toothbrush -- you can get to more of their hair without having to lift them up or move them around.

faye_arv
10-02-11, 02:35 pm
I used the toothbrush and it did wonders...I have a question though...when I tried to brush their bum area they definitely didn't like it. The problem is that that area was the worse off...it really needed to be brushed, their fur was stuck together and a bit wet. What can I do?

Also, I think they have added a LOT of weight since I got them...I've had them for 3 weeks now and their tummies are round and big in comparison to when I got them. They have gained 112 grams (Winnie now weighs 312 grams) and 110 grams (Wendy now weighs 304 grams) since I got them. They are 7 weeks old so I give them hay and pellets (their bowls are always filled) and veggies 3 times a day. I was told that they were separated from any males so I'm guessing they aren't pregnant. Am I feeding them too much or is this weight gain normal?

bpatters
10-02-11, 03:01 pm
Too many pellets... One-fourth cup of pellets per pig per day is plenty. Pellets are the least important part of their diet, and should be used just to make sure that they've got all the minerals they need. They need good hay ALL the time, and veggies 2-3 times per day.

The weight gain doesn't sound too much to me, but keep weighing and recording daily so you'll know how they're doing.

As far as the wet bottom, I keep the skirts trimmed off mine so they don't reach the floor. You can also wipe their butts down with a damp washcloth, or even give them a full bath if needed.

faye_arv
10-02-11, 03:25 pm
I've already given them a full bath so that isn't an option. Maybe I'll just wash their bums and trim Winnie's bun fur a little, she's furrier than Wendy.

faye_arv
10-02-11, 05:02 pm
Pellets in Greece are the mixed ones with fruits and stuff so if I give them only 1/4 of a cup each they most likely won't be eating it all. Should I maybe give them more?

faye_arv
10-11-11, 04:39 pm
Although Winnie and Wendy are sisters, abbys, Winnie has much longer fur than Wendy. I noticed that her fur is often wet and was a bit tangled in the rear because she doesn't let me comb her there, she gets very aggravated and jumpy when I try to comb her there. I tried and managed to shorten her fur there a little bit but it could be shorter. Any ideas?

Other than that, there life here is rather uneventful. They have become more and more accustomed to us going past there cage but when I stress them out by combing them or trimming their nails, they hold a grudge and hide more when we get close to the cage.

They are just soooo adorable...yesterday I had them at lap time on their home made bed and they were both so relaxed (separate not together) that they lied there on their side, not a care in the world.

bpatters
10-11-11, 05:00 pm
Give her a butt trim. Both of mine have long skirts, and I trim them so that they don't even touch the floor.

faye_arv
10-13-11, 06:59 am
I tried that but it was very hard to get her to stand still, she doesn't like for me to touch her butt at all, not even the fur. It was tough!