Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Curly Pig Diary

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone!
Im making this diary for my pigs. I will write in hear daily if possible and post many pictures. You can watch my pigs grown and read their life story. Anything about my pigs will be posted here on this thread.

So, I guess I'll start by introducing myself.
My name is Rachel. Im 19, and will be 20 next month. I am married to a wonderful guy named Michael. We just had a beautiful baby girl named Sophie on May 17th of this year, she is 3 months old now. I also have 2 dogs, a boston terrier named Dozer and a yorkie named Jack. My husabnd has a maine coon cat named Dalilah and we have 4 gerbils too. We Love our furry babies!
Below is a picture of myself and my daughter taken 8/20/11

happygirl10.jpg

I am and always have been an animal love. Noticeable my love for guinea pigs has gotten stronger. I have always thought they were cute and what-not but as I became more familiar with them I became more in love with too. Since I now live on my own, I decided to start my research on them so I could be ready to have some piggys to call mine!

I admit, I did buy my guinea pigs from a breeder, which I now know I shouldnt do and will not do in the future. But I am very happy and in love with the piggys I got.
The breeder, who bred texel guinea pigs, seamed nice and from what she said, her pigs were healthy and happy. That though, was clearly not true. When I went to pick up my two babies (which were supposedly 5 weeks old) from the breeder she wouldnt let me inside her house to look at them, instead, she brought them out to my car in a small box. I noticed right off the bat that the piggys were missing lots of fur and what fur they did have was stained with yellow/orange urine! They were also under weight and smelled horrible! I was disgusted but held my tongue as I didnt want her to take the pigs back. I couldnt let them go back in there! I took them home and looked over them. They were infested with mites and lice which I immediately got treated. I also had to cut all the fur off of there body's all the way down to the skin because of how bad the staining was.They were on ivermectin for 4 weeks. After treatment my piggys fur started to come back in, beautiful and clean! They looks like totally different piggys! They were so happy!! It made me very happy to see my little babies running around and playing for the first time!

Now for Piggy introduction!!
This is Sweet Pea, she is pure white with blue eyes. She is the smaller of the two and a little more shy. She likes to run from me and prefers to just be looked at rather then pet or held. haha. She is very sweet though, thus the name Sweet Pea.
pigs30.jpg

And this is..well, she has no name yet. (Anyone have any idea's of names?) She is white with a large gray spot on her back end and two brownish spots on her head. She is the larger of the two and likes all the attention. She is a big talker and like to nibble also. She is such a fun pig, now to pick out a name for her???
pigs400.jpg

They are living in a large 5x2 C&C cage with a 1x5 second level. I have tons of houses, toys, ect. In the cage for them. I will post pic's of the cage later on.

Currently I am looking to adopt another pig or two. I have my eye set on a black/gray/white texel neutered male named Will that a local rescue has for adoption. I am talking with the adoption people about him and have already turned in a application to adopt him so now I wait to see if it gets approved. I will keep you updated on him and if I find any other pig(s) to adopt.

To be continued...

8/24/11

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
My girls:love:
pigs20.jpg

To be continued...

8/24/11

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
They look so adorable. The other one, with no name, looks like one of those big Old English sheep dogs. I like these curly ones but they look kinda wild. No idea what to name it though.

ILoveMillie

Cavy Slave
They are so cute! I'm fostering a neutered Texel right now any he is so fun with his long curly hair! I think the name tulip would fit her :)

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
Tulip is very pretty! I love it :) I may just have to go with that name.

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
Here is an updated pic of my cage as of today 8/24/11
thegirlscage1.jpg

I plan to put a PVC tunnel on the second floor too for them to run/hide in, Just haven't gotten around to buying it yet.

ILoveMillie

Cavy Slave
That's a really nice cage, and I'm so happy you like the name Tulip!

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
Hey SweetiePig (Rachel and Sophie) what a great idea to make a diary so everything about your piggies is in one place, and remains current.

I absolutely love the look of the texels, your girls are SO beautiful. I love the name Tulip. It will be fabulous when Will comes to live with them! Looking forward to the pigtures!

You have really nice big cage. Tell me what you are planning with the tube idea... will that go next to the upper story with cut outs for exits and entries? I could just imagine them loving a space like that!

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
Yeah I was thinking it would be much more organized fi I just had one thread and just kept it updated instead of having tons of threads floating around the forum.
As far as the PVC tunnel, I was just talking about getting one like I have in the 1st floor of the cage and setting it up there so they have something to run threw and play with on the 2nd floor as well.

The pig's really seam to love their cage! I love it too! lol It makes them so much happier and they always seam to be in a good mood now.
I am really liking the name Tulip, it just suits her! Thanks again ilovemillie!!

Oh, and I have some WONDERFUL news guys!!!!! Im SOOOOOOOOOO excited!!!!!! But I cant tell you just yet...you'll have to wait till later!

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
Omg I am SO proud of my Sweet Pea! She finally learned to go up and down the ramp today! Good for her!! :) Tulip already new how, she got the hang of it from day one so I have a feeling she showed Sweet Pea how it was done.

How long did it take your pig(s) to learn how to use there stairs/ramp to the nextlevel???

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
Ah I spotted the elbow tubes! nice idea those.

Congratulations Tulip! Maximus von Lichtenwalder is a very curious pig and he tries things right away if he's watched my hand take the route he goes for it. Most pigs it seems distrust downhill, at least that is what I read over and over again. I have to say my lad also hesitates at things downward. He prefers to leap than step downwards.

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
Yeah my pigs love there tubes! And mine seam to do ok now with going down but they were more hesitant at first.

So as some of you know hurricane Irene went threw the east coast yesterday. I am in southern MD and it hit us hard. My poor piggys were scared out of there minds! I felt so bad for them but they made it threw just as I did. Does anyone else have pigs that are scared of storms?

Also,
I have been wanting different bedding. I really like kd pine pellet litter but its so heavy and so pricey since I dont have a farm store close by so then I have to use aspen bedding but it gets EVERYWHERE and makes a mess and I have just about had it. I finally gave into the fleece bedding. I didnt want to use fleece because to me, it seams like it would get messy and everything easier, but I guess the pros out weight the cons. I LOVE the way it looks for one and I guess I will like it, the more I think about fleece bedding the better Im liking the idea.
Yesterday I ordered some some custom fleece cage liners which I should have around this coming up weekend. I am SO excited! I will of course post pics of the cage when the new bedding is in it.
i am also very happy to be getting rid of the aspend and messy stuff. Finally, some nice clean, pretty looking bedding! yay!

I will try and get some pics posted later on of my girls and give some more updated.

8/27/11

Mimi59

Cavy Slave
WOW!! Really awesome cage! You did a great job!!

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
Where did you order your fleece liners from?

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Your pigs are beautiful! I really like their names. Your little girl is a doll too. Adorable.
Lovely cage. You will have to report how you like the fleece.
Did you ever report the breeder ? From what you described, she should not have pigs or be breeding.

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
Mimi59- Thanks, Im pretty proud of it. I really like it. I just cant wait for my liners though, Ikm going nuts waiting!!! I cant wait to see your cage though when your done. You have any idea of how your gunna do it?

Longlostcurls- Here is the link to a thread I wrote about the liners - https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/bedding/64052-do-you-need-fleece-cage-liner.html

suzilovespiggie- Thank you! I like there names too, Im debating sorta on Tulip's though. I like it but it sounds weird when I say it..you know what I mean? But about the breeder, I didnt think about doing that, who would I report her to?

And a short update for today. My girls are doing well, Im exciting to say they are seaming to warm up to me more and more every day. Sweet pea is using her ramp a whole lot now which makes me very happy! I made them a really good huge salad tonight and they seamed to love that as they munched down on it! I got them out for a little bit with my hubby, he seamed to enjoy them and they seamed to enjoy him. Sweet pea wouldnt stop chewing the hairs off his legs though lol it was sooo funny! I had a good day with my girls and I love them VERY much!
I'll take some more pics of them and post them when I get a chance.

8/30/11

tboyd

Cavy Slave
The sweetest little babies:) I think Tulip is a good name, but for some reason when i looked at her I thought 'Lily'. She does seem to inspire the sweet flowery names though,doesnt she? Will be very interested in seeing the fleece liners if you will show them. I will be making a cage soon and am unsure of which sort of bedding I will prefer.

tboyd

Cavy Slave
By the way, I love the 'piggie diary' idea. I will certainly keep following it!

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
tboyd - Thanks, I thought it would be fun to have one thread that I can constantly updated with everything about my piggys so I made them their own diary! Im glad you like it. I should have my fleece set by the end of the week hopefully! If not, probably this weekend. I plan to post lots of pics of my cage once its all in and everything. You can keep checking back and I'll let you know how I like it since it will be my fist time using it. The person who Im ordering my fleece set form is very cheap and does a great job if your interested, I have thread up with info and I can give you her email fi you want to contact her. She makes all sorta of fleece stuff too.
And for the pics!

My little Sophie with the girls. She really likes them, she loves to cuddle them!
sophandpigs1.jpg

And the girls wanting some lap time
sophandpigs20.jpg

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
You're piggies are so sweet! I especially like the picture of them snuggled up with your daughter :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.