Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast I feel horrible. Just plain horrible.

Nikkipig

Cavy Slave
Questions at the bottom, but mainly wanted to rant.

When I first got Nikki, my dad pulled out a hamster cage for her. I said absolutely not, that I wanted a cage that was at least a 3x2. He grumbled a bit but he said he'll get out the old guinea pig cage. I asked if it was the minimum size and he said totally.
Guess what? He pulled out a freakin' pet store cage that was a 1 x >2. (? Don't know exact dimensions.)
I wasn't a happy camper but I put up with it for a week. The cage was so small that her hidey house didn't even fit in the cage without taking up 3/4th of the room.

So, after two weeks or so, I get an idea and pull out the bottom (hard plastic) of the other leftover cage that we housed five or six pigs in when I was geez, probably six.
I haul it upstairs, put some grids around it and discover it's only a 2 x 2. Again, not impressed but I live with it for the time being.
Just a week later I get fed up with the damn thing because I feel like I'm keeping my baby in a litterbox. I spend five hours revamping the cage to make a 1x2 upper floor. It didn't take away floor space because I built behind the cage, and the ramp is just a teeny, short little thing.

My problem is, I had a 3x2 with a 1x2 loft all built and ready to go, but my mom refused to buy me coroplast.
I showed her picture after picture of C&C cages on this site, told her how much longer my guinea would live, how much less space it takes up; all the benefits.
You know what I get told?
"All you do is want more, and more and more. The first cage wasn't big enough so you got that one, and now you want an even bigger one. Why can't you just be happy with what you got!? I'm sick of this. Why don't you just close the door and let the god___ thing loose in your room and let it ___ on the floor? Just go." And then she banished me to my room for the next hour while I cried.

So, a few days pass and I attempt to bring up coroplast again. Worse luck than last time, if possible.
"You listen to everything you hear on the internet. {not true} Those people are ____ animal preachers. {...referring to you guys} It's a ____ing guinea pig! It eats its own poop for god's sake! It doesn't need a luxurious, triple story cage! The smaller the space they can get into, the better! Now you take the cage apart {the 3x2 with 1x2 loft} and put the old one back together {2x2 with 1x2 loft}. If you don't, I swear on god's green earth, I will take that stupid thing back to the petstore tomorrow. You have no idea how mad I am at you. I wish I would have never, ever, EVER brought that guinea pig home for you."

A few other things she said I don't know where to fit:
"I had three guinea pigs and I kept them in a HAMSTER cage. One of them lived for NINE years!"
Doesn't mean they were happy.
"We tried the stupid coroplast before. All they did was chew on it, it made a mess and it didn't work!"
Maybe because you kept FIVE guinea pigs in a teeny, tiny space?
"You ask for that stuff again and I swear that thing will be out of this house immediately. Let me tell you one more time: NO, NO, and NO! *screaming at me*"
She said other stuff but I can't remember it exactly. Anyways, she gets so mad whenever I bring coroplast up and I really don't know why... I ask nicely?
I can't use any alternatives to coro because I tried, and I got yelled at. She has her mind set and there's no changing it.
I can't tell you how many hours I cried because of some of the mean things she said to me. And when she threatened to take Nikki back, I couldn't breathe right and wanted to go to the ER because I thought I was going to die(felt like an asthma attack), but my mom told me to stay in the bathroom until I calmed down and told me "Why not? Nobody can breathe in your room with that guinea pig".

:confused:
So... Would a 2x2, with a 1x2 upper floor be okay? I think I'll expand the 1x2 to a 2x2, or as far as my wall will allow it. I also can add another little 1x2 upper floor in a different spot.
Would that be enough space? If not, I'll see what I can do. :sad:

Alwayzbuzy

Cavy Slave
Awww. I'm sorry. Maybe just don't bring up the subject for a while with your mom. Sometimes they get madder when you do. I'm a mom, I know. ;) Will your mom let you get an alternative to the Coroplast? A shower curtain liner? I saw some other alternatives on this site too. Good luck. Just give the guinea pigs a lot of floor time and love for a while and maybe your mom will come around. :love:

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
NikkiPig,

lets look at what you can do ok? it'll feel better...

how about finding some strategy to buy what you need for yourself? You would then Not have to ask for coroplast to be bought for you from unwilling quarters?

Instead of focusing on what you can't have and aren't allowed put that very creative brain of yours to work and do odd jobs or chores to save up for the money you need to do what you want? (ps I went to a sign writer and asked them if they had any signs that I could peel the failed labels off of and have for free... instead of paying big $ I ended up paying next to nothing from his best rejects pile.)

I wish you luck, persevere but try new ways of getting to where you want to go... avoid pushing buttons that you've learned will not work out well for everyone. Good Luck dear. But the minimum size is 2 x 3 for one pig.

Get creative and show us pictures of what you come up with in your pursuit of it.

(I use a waterproof picnic blanket when Maximus von Lichtenwalder is out on the bed, I cover that with towels or a quilted comforter so his nails can't puncture the plastic side that is up. If his pee gets through the towel etc I just wipe the plastic side like a cage bottom with a damp cloth. It worked so well he has his own queen sized bed now always made up.)

Last edited:

pinky

Cavy Slave
You can place an ad on Craigslist or Freecycle to see if you can get the supplies you need. Goodwill Stores sometimes have things you can use to make a cage. Campaign headquarters give away old coroplast signs that can be used to build a cage. Another option would be to call your local animal shelter or guinea pig rescue to see if anyone surrendered a pet with a coroplast cage. They might give you one for free or for minimal cost.

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
It's always hard when you don't see eye to eye with your parents, especially when it comes to the welfare of your guinea pig. For now, just drop the subject. Don't push, don't beg, just let everyone cool off for a few weeks. A 2x2 is better than whatever she would be living in at a pet store, and with ample floor time she will be ok for now. My suggestion is to try and save up the money so you can purchase the coro yourself. Petsit, babysit, whatever. When you have the money, sit down with both your parents and have a reasonable discussion with them. Lay out the cost of building this cage, the pros and cons of the cage, and most importantly listen to and discuss their concerns. If you totally disregard what they have to say, they are not going to agree to the cage. Good luck, let us know how things turn out!

Nikkipig

Cavy Slave
I did manage to find coroplast for three dollars, which I'm sure I have the money for. Problem is, I'm not allowed to buy it because it's "pointless".
Like I said, I did try alternatives to coroplast. I was willing to try shower curtain, cardboard, tarp, fleece, anything. But I ot told to leave it how it is.
I guess she'll be staying in this cage because if I ask again she will take Nikki to a petstore and drop her off :(

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
Im sorry about all that. My dad was just like that and never wanted me to have anything for my pets. He hated them. So I did what I could to keep them happy. SO you need to do the same. If the cage has to stay the way it is, then thats that and make the best of it. You can give lots and lots of out of cage time to make up for the lost room and occupy your piggy with tons of toys, play time, love, ect. Your a good piggy mom and as long as your pig is alive and healthy and happy, thats all it can ask for :) Your cage isnt what most would say is an acceptable size but then again there are thousands of guinea pigs living in cages half the size of yours and they still grow up and live long healthy somewhat happy lives so Im sure your pig really appreciates the cage you have got for her. Dont be so upset, your guinea pig loves you for what you have done for her already. ❤️

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
I am a bit upset right now, (with your folks of course) and want to be constructive, as all these really really wonderful people have been for you, and send you positive energy and enlightenment. Just try to do the best you can with what you have for now, and challenge yourself to think creatively and "outside the box" so to speak. My heart is hurting for you so much and I am just so sorry about this heart-wrenching, painful situation with your parents. Though as wrong and as bad as I feel, ( and angry) for the way your Mom dealt with you and feels toward your beloved piggie, now that you've had a good cry ( hey, a good cry can be a good release and cleansing to the soul) I would pull up my boot straps, put on a smile( fake it, if you must, and then before long, that smile will begin to feel real, as it makes it's way to your heart) and try to apply the good advice given to you from your piggie friends above. They had some really great ideas !

We all do and say mean things to the ones we love, so try to forgive your Mom...for she loves you so very much I am sure.....will be thinking of you...and never feel bad for "venting"...thanks for trusting us with your heart. ❤️ Good luck sweetie !

Nikkipig

Cavy Slave
I just want to apologize, I know I could of sounded kind of bratty in my posts. :love: I was just really upset, but I feel better now. {Music works wonders.}
I do love my parents will all my heart, and I can't hold a grudge for five minutes if it was to save my life. So I do try to understand where she's coming from. I just don't think she understands how much the little pig means to me.
Thanks for all of the support, you guys. I know in a lot of forums I would of gotten "B'awwwed" at for this.
Right now, Nikki's scampering around my room. My room is a small/medium size, perfect for floor time. She's such a wild little furball and will run some laps around the room before scurrying back to me and plopping herself onto my shoulder. lol She's done this for hours at a time.
Basically, I just try to give her floor time every night, as that's when she seems to be the most riled up. I've tried taking her outdoors into a playpen I made out of grids but she isn't a fan and will just sit there and refuse to move.

GuineaPigLova

Cavy Slave
I don't have coroplast, either. I just lined the bottom of my cage with newspaper (about 2 layers) and towels (1 layer) and then put fleec on top... It will do, its not perfect but I make the best of what I have.
I have to pay for everything! The cage, the food, the vet, the bedding... every last nickel.
I'd suggest getting a job. I got my first job when I was 8- cat sitting and had a steady job at 11 walking dogs and animal sitting. Could you do anything like that?

I mean obviously you can't really change the set up, even if we told you it was bad, what could you do?
It's good for now, I'd just get a job and try and get a better cage (I took old small pet store cages and attached them on the c&c cage for extra space and cozy hides.)

JennyDas

Cavy Slave
Some of the things your mom said sounds a whole lot like my mom, but usually it was me she was trying to kick out of the house. What I've learned from the many, many years of living out of her house that helps me out loads is to search for the hidden meaning in what she's saying. I so don't read bratty, I read hurt and pain.

For instance, possibly, your love and care for your guinea pig is taking time away from you spending time with her doing what she wants to do. Finding happiness and joy in something that a parent doesn't understand and doesn't value can create great friction. In example, my mom would think hypothetically speaking about this situation, "The pig is more important to her than I am. So I must get rid of the pig. I'm going to make her miserable and make her choose me or she'll be sorry." {My relationship with my mom is still very flaky. Really, it stinks.}

Some days when I'd left for school, I'd worry that my bunny would be made into dinner. My mom is Filipino and the way she saw it, growing up in another country, in a rural area - Rabbit Stew would make a good meal. That's what she threatened me with.

Best to keep going and thinking. If you have any left over semi gloss, latex paint and some old foam core boards from doing science projects, magic could be made. Don't bring up the guinea pig around the parentals for a while but keep thinking and moving forward. Best wishes.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
There is absolutely no need to apologize for ANYTHING. You did not sound bratty at all, you really didn't. You just needed to let off some steam, ( Hey, who doesn't like a good "sauna" once in awhile ! LOL ...get it ?! hehhee) like we all need to do sometimes ! In my opinion, you expressed yourself in a mature manner, especially under the circumstances. Don't worry, we are not dummies here...we know that there are always two sides to every coin, and that we can't possibly give you any real wise "council" regarding your relationship with your parents....since we don't know you, or your parents. Words on an Internet screen, is severely limiting in that regard. What we all hope very much to do, is give you encouragement and help you do the best job you can, in taking care of your sweet piggie. Hopefully you feel helped and encouraged to just move forward and do the best you can, with what you've got. :cool: Rock on girl, rock on !

GuineaPigsRCute

Cavy Slave
I feel so sorry for you!
I think that if a guiena pig has lots of cuddles and treats and love then they can learn to live in smaller places, have you tried your mum with a old shower curtain? they can work well and if she says yes, and you have enough cubes you can make a decent cage and if you could get one well, once you have one i doubt your mum will say no, espeically if you could get one from a friend!

mari11

Cavy Slave
I picked up my coroplast from a signwriter for free, he had a small stack of mistakes and gave me a big piece. It's worth asking around and explaining why you want it - my main problem was getting it home, would likely be an issue for you too. We don't actually use the coroplast now, I have two flat ikea boxes with plastic wrapped over them then the fleece or newspaper over the top. The boxes can be slid together or apart to make it smaller or larger, depending on the room I need and the weather - rain forecast and I set it up for more room, sunny and warmish, when they're only in during the evening it can be a little smaller, About the same size as a 2x3/4. The plastic was a mattress bag so it's pretty heavy duty. As long as you can clean it there's some flexibility.

My guys are on the floor and when we take them out for floor time they'll wander for a few minutes then head back to the cage and climb in - no grids, they don't like being out!

For outside time, try tipping a few boxes upside down and cut out doors - we have 5-8 most days outside and I move them round for variety and to cover the best grass spots. They will run laps through the boxes or meander between them, but put them outside with only one box and that's where they'll stay. I have the grids (3x3 with a top, hay rack and plastic cover) plus a low mesh fence around it so they can be in the grids, shut in without direct supervision or with a couple of grids opened and more space when we're out there.

Sounds like your pig is pretty happy though, if you can give her lots of floor/outside time the small cage won't bother her too much.

Nikkipig

Cavy Slave
I actually did have several hidey houses for outside, but she'd run into the forest corner of one of the hiding places and stay there until I take her inside. Unfortunately I think it'd be best for her to stay indoors, she looks stressed when she's out.
In fact a few days ago I asked my mom what she did with the old shower curtain (we just got a new one) and she said she threw it away. Ughh, oh well. It is what it is.
Thank you guys, again. To be honest, I kind of feel overwhelmed from everyone saying they feel bad, and I just want to say no need to feel sorry for me. ❤️ There's really not.
Now I'm going to get to work on another loft and maybe, just maybe a little third floor... There's lots of leftover cardboard boxes around, and double those with towels, fleece and whatnot and I'll have enough for upper floors. Mom doesn't mind me using it for little spaces (actually, she kind of does. But she lets me do it because it took five hours to build.), so fingers crossed I can make use out of what I got.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
I know you will do the best job you can, and we can't wait to see your piggie's little bungalow ! Just be sure to return to this thread, so everyone has easy reference and understands your back-story....and have fun with it ! :)❤️

pinky

Cavy Slave
Make sure you never leave your guinea pig unattended outdoors. It only takes a split second for a predator, like a hawk or dog, to get them. They can also run away if they're loose.

GuineaTiel

Cavy Slave
I am sorry to hear that my friends mom did that, too so my friend just gave them away. I don't know if this would work but you could possibly buy some plastic trays/containers (with low sides and you could put holes in it) and connect those. Like I said, though, I don't know if that would really work. Sorry if I wasn't much help.

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
NikkiPig, you are improving your guinea pigs life, at the pace that you can - right? You improved their living conditions twice already with bigger cages and fewer animals per cage right?;) You are moving along the right path and you are learning that an even bigger cage is better. You want that, and that's the right idea. Thing is with someone like you - you WILL get there. Many won't or don't want to. You DO. That is what this site is all about, educating people why bigger, and uncrowded is better... you've got it - the message that this site's folks wanted to convey and now you are in the planning stages. Not only that but you try, you say you spent 5 hours building something and your Mom let you keep it... likely because you put so much effort in. One day you will be able to put your plan into action. You might even be able to rig up a tube outside of the multi story cage that twists around it so it's a long long running track for your piggie. (make sure if you do that it has Plenty of good air holes and keep the exit holes exact onto the cage entrances too) Have fun with it all:heart: keep heart and love the wee pig, sounds like you got this one too...

Last edited:

Nikkipig

Cavy Slave
I've got good news.
My mom says she plans on letting me make a bigger cage for my pig, only she'll be using plexiglass instead of coroplast. It'll be a 2x4 and she said I can make whatever size loft I'd like.

I have no idea where her change of heart came from, but it sure makes me happy. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.