Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

She's Crafty!

JennyDas

Cavy Slave
Hi all,

I'm Jenny and live in Durham, NC USA. I found the site a couple weeks ago when looking up guinea pig cages. I was surprised to see cubes formally used as cages as I thought I was cutting edge when I built my rabbit cage out of cubes 10 years ago. Using coroplast is a big improvement over building a large coffee-height table and covering it with linoleum.

My daughter, almost 5, has fallen in love with guinea pigs. Cor has committed to memory a vast knowledge of guinea pig facts, information, and necessities. The pigs will be her responsibility, which means really my responsibility; but don't inform her of that fact.

I'm a quilter, fabric artist, seamstress, and stay at home mom. I am getting quite a kick out of the little sewing projects. As a family, we grow (not certified) organic fruit and vegetables in our garden. We build furniture, eat local produce, and don't have cable TV. Surprisingly, we are not crunchy at all. Conservative family values and I rule with an iron fist. *insert evil laugh here* And my husband works in marketing.

We have three outdoor egg laying hens and two excessively overweight senior cats. We have high hopes on adopting a pair of male guinea pigs in a few days. Application approved and waiting on a match.

Yesterday, Cor and I built a 3x3 with a 1x2 loft. No ramp yet. I'll be making fleece blankets and buying uhaul blankets tomorrow.

Cheers,
Jenny

(broken link removed)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the site! If you're new to guinea pigs, be sure to read off the main page -- there's lots of info on GP care, socialization, etc.

And we'll need pictures when you get your piggies. :cheerful:

pinky

Cavy Slave
Welcome, Jenny. I live in a no cable household, too, with conservative family values...... My kids are young adults but I also have always been pretty strict.... I think guinea pigs are the perfect pets for kids. My kids still bring them out to just hold them.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Hmmm. Am I 'crunchy?' What's crunchy? Clearly I'm out of touch with the latest. :cheerful:

Welcome to the forum!

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Welcome! Your family sounds awesome! Oh I how envy a garden with organic veggies. (I live in Az, in the country and a garden bewteen the heat, ground squirrals, and jack rabbits. there is no garden....)
How exciting for your family to be adopting 2 guys! You will find some wonderful info on how to care for your new pets.
In the diet/nutrition thread Ly&pigs has an awesome chart on what to feed and when. The hay section on what type of hay to use. Feel free to ask all the questions you want. We are here for you and your piggies.
We love pictures! Keep us posted on all things piggies.

P.S. I don't know what "crunchy" is either....

Henrysmommy

Cavy Slave
Crunchy as in like granola?

guineapikhs

Cavy Slave
I believe "crunchy" does refer to "crunchy granola," but it ultimately refers to liberal/hippy -- the type of person who would make their own crunchy granola. It makes sense with Jenny's contrast to "conservative family values" and "I rule with an iron fist." Although I would say that my husband and I are dangerously close to "crunchy," and I am most definitely a strict aunt/babysitter/big sister(/wife) and love setting boundaries. I'm probably considered "the boss" right now, but I look forward to the day I have a household to run with an iron fist while I laugh evilly. :)

JennyDas

Cavy Slave
I believe "crunchy" does refer to "crunchy granola," but it ultimately refers to liberal/hippy -- the type of person who would make their own crunchy granola. It makes sense with Jenny's contrast to "conservative family values" and "I rule with an iron fist." Although I would say that my husband and I are dangerously close to "crunchy," and I am most definitely a strict aunt/babysitter/big sister(/wife) and love setting boundaries. I'm probably considered "the boss" right now, but I look forward to the day I have a household to run with an iron fist while I laugh evilly. :)

Thanks everyone! I've been running around like crazy the last couple days. Baby proofing, making a uhaul soaker quilt, and running around town looking for the right cavy food.

Yes, that's exactly what I mean by crunchy. However, I do make my own granola with certified gluten free oats. lol

Henrysmommy

Cavy Slave
Yeah.. Thats moderately offensive. Good thing guinea pigs don't care about politics.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
And it's also probably a good thing it's against our forum policy to discuss politics (and religion). I'd love to continue the crunchy stereotype discussion, but can see it devolving pretty quickly. Sooooo, in the interest of forum peace and following the 'rules,' as the grand poo pa of the forum, I'll ask everyone to stick to piggies and pass (meaning refrain from commenting) on further crunchy comments.

But thanks for clarifying the meaning for me!

JennyDas

Cavy Slave
PICTURES! Re: She's Crafty!

DSC06933.jpg

Last night, everything is set up and perfect.

DSC06935.jpg

Up early, hours before our scheduled appointment.

DSC06941.jpg

Cute brothers after some play time and getting to know one another. Very sweet. First separation from their mother. 3 weeks old.

DSC06942.jpg

Here's a picture of their momma, Berry. She was a recent rescue after a local animal shelter was abandoned by their owner. 23 pigs with many of the females pregnant. They are Himalayans, just like momma.

DSC06944.jpg

Candle is very adventurous and food driven. Here he is after an hour in the new cage. I was surprised to see him so happy running around and popcorning so soon after cowering quietly in the corner.

DSC06947.jpg

Pepito is more shy, a bit slower and only leaves this corner to visit the corner litterbox.

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
Oh mo gosh I love the name Pepito. They are so adorable. I absolutely love himilayans. So sad to hear that an animal shelter was abandoned. Sometimes its just too much for some people. I know I couldnt do it.

JennyDas

Cavy Slave
Oh mo gosh I love the name Pepito. They are so adorable. I absolutely love himilayans. So sad to hear that an animal shelter was abandoned. Sometimes its just too much for some people. I know I couldnt do it.

Thanks, but I can't take any credit for originalityPepito and Candle are friends of Madeline in the Madeline book series. DH was against naming them Cor's first choice, Lacey and Macey. Sasquatch and Yeti had a close running. DH is also known around as Sasquatch, self-chosen, to reflect his height.

JennyDas

Cavy Slave
BTW, not to inflame just to educate. Urban dictionary's definition of crunchy(1). Urban Dictionary: crunchy In the crunchy world I tread in, crunchy is a good thing. I just don't fit the mold which surprises many people - over and over again.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.