Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits Sorry in advance for all the questions

mom2Julius

Cavy Slave
I am a new bunny mom to 2 bunnies (not yet neutered but will be) they are mini rex's and approx. 12 weeks old. I have ordered a large C&C cage for them, they are already bonded and get on great. Is this cage large enough? It's only one level. I am planning to also get them an exercise pen so they get plenty of out of the cage time. I can also add levels as they get bigger if I need to.

Currently they are not litterbox trained. Does this mean I should be using the carefresh bedding in all of their pen or just in the litter pans? Do they need a litter pan each or will they share? If I don't use the bedding throughout what else goes down on the floor for something soft? They don't seem to be chewers yet although it is a little too quick to know as I have only owned them 2 days and am on a steep learning curve lol.

I am slowly introducing fresh veggies, carrots, dandelion leaves and clover is a hit so far. They have free choice grass hay (I have sheep so it is always around a great quality) and pellets. I am using a water dish which they are keeping clean and using. I have some toys and enrichment things for their cage but will probably over do it with more. In the process of finding a good vet in my area, and trying to spend time with the bunnies 3-4 times a day. They are a little skittish of being picked up, but settle down as soon as they are held to me.

I read that they shouldn't have a salt block why is that?

Thanks everyone for the help and advice in advance.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Welcome!! Don't worry about asking questions. Ask all you want. That is what we are here for.
First off let me tell you about a great website for the care of rabbits. Houserabbitsociety.com

House rabbit society has a whole section under housing in building a c&c cage for rabbits. Pictures also. Rabbits need cages that are tall as they stand up and have levels with shelves as rabbits like to jump. There are pictures here in the gallery.
Rabbits are clean, and can be litter trained. A corner box for each rabbit will work. They like to go in one area so are easy to train.
The bedding can be carefresh or fleece. It depends on the rabbit. I had one rabbit who could be on fleece, never chewed, kept everything in her cage perfect. The other one tore everything up. Ate the fleece, left nothing in place. He likes it bare. Both did use their litter boxes. You can try and see how it goes with your rabbits.
You seem to be doing a good job with diet. They like the piggies can have a variety of veggies and fruits. Rabbits make their own vitamin c so that is not as big as concern as the GP's.
Rabbits are smart and very curious. They love toys. They can get bored easy so toys are always welcome.
As for salt. A good diet should help with that.
I use water bottles. They don't get as dirty and there is no chance of them being turned over in the cage.

Welcome to the wonderful world of buns. We love pictures here. Would love to see your babies.

CavyCrazyLady

Cavy Slave
I know your little boys seem very bonded now, but please do keep them seperated until they are neutered. You don't have to keep them from seeing eachother, but they should not be allowed together unsupervised. You never know when those hormones are going to kick in. I have seen what looked like very bonded bunnies suddenly rip their brothers testicle off, seemingly at random.

As Suzi said, the House Rabbit Society is a great reasorce. The site is: rabbit.org

While your boys will probably not take to using the box while not neutered (or for about a month after being neutered), you can still start the training. Use several boxes at first, at least one in each corner of the cage. Once they are neutered they should start using some more than others. Then you can slowly remove the boxes until you only have one large box for both of them.

You can use 100% cotton towles, dog beds, carpet or fleece blankets on the floor for something soft. Some rabbits will pee/poo on, or tear up these things, however.

Rabbits are prey animals, and most don't like to be picked up, so don't worry if your boys always hate it. I have known many sweet and friendly rabbits who will kick and scratch if you try and pick them up.

Even the best quality pellet is very high in salt, and just like us and guinea pigs rabbits don't need teh extra salt in their diet.

mom2Julius

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the help both of you!

I have upped the cage order to a jumbo size cage and will plan to increase height and add levels after the crazy shopping and bunny costs let my wallet recover lol. I have 2 quotes from vets recommended on the house rabbit site for neutering the boys although they vary GREATLY in cost, one is $150 per bunny and the other is $421 per bunny. The second made disparaging bunny remarks before they remembered to put me on hold, so it's safe to say I wouldn't use them anyway. The first also gave the right answers to questions that I asked.

Still no chewing from either of the boys, but Julius seems to like digging in things (Octavian is a lot more chill), so I will look like a crazy lady in the store when I dig on some bedding options to see if fibers come loose. I have ordered some litter pans as well and will try out the advice given.

Thanks again CavyCrazyLady and suzilovespiggie :)

CavyCrazyLady

Cavy Slave
Oh my, $421 is far too much to pay. Ask the one that is $150 per bun if that includes things like bloodwork. That is not usually needed and is quite costly. You can also ask your local HRS chapter or a private bunny rescue group if they know a place that is reliable but also cheap. For example, I send everyone to a low cost clinic that may be a little farther drive, but is only $75 (with tax and pain meds).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.