Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Is it too big?

LovelyPiggies

Cavy Slave
So today, my Dad & I went to pick up grids for Misty. My dad works for the place that delivers stuff to stores(A warehouse I guess). Anyway, he got to order a ton of Grids from a company. We got 4 Shipping boxes full of grids. So one box has about 15 packages of 12 Grids. I also got 8 sheets of Coroplast. And will pick up 4 more tomorrowBecause I am fostering a pregnant momma, I want lots of space for her and her pups as well as enough room to add more to my herd down the road.The Size I chose was 3x16. Quite large yes but each side will have a 2x4 kitchen/upper level. So that way, I can separate the males(Which will be done with clear cubes) at 3 weeks and they each have a 3x8 Cage with a 2x4 Upper level.Now ... Here's my question ... is this too big?* Please note that this cage will be in an extra bedroom in our house

Keekers

Cavy Slave
That sounds GREAT!! You can never give your pigs a cage that's too big, only one that's too small!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You probably can't make too big a cage, but remember that it has to be cleaned, and that you've got to keep bedding material in it. The cost of that can add up in a hurry, depending on what you're using.

How many pigs do you have, anyway? :eek:ptimist:

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
WOW! My three pigs are so envious. I suppose they do have an entire room, but still... 3x16 is just too cool.

A suggestion for making cleaning a little easier and a ton cheaper: get uhaul blankets and fleece for bedding. Make a bunch of 4x3 sections of this as bedding, and then swap out the dirty ones as they need to be cleaned. Some people even sew the fleece to the uhaul blankets, which might make having segmented bedding easier and quicker to replace.

LovelyPiggies

Cavy Slave
I built the 3x16 last night.

@bpatters One pregnant momma who's expecting 6-7 pups!

A local fleece shop was going out of business and had all their fleece 50% off. I bought basically the whole store out! xDD

Thank you! Misty is home now :D

GuineaTiel

Cavy Slave
I envy you and your cage :) And only in my dreams would i have a cage that big. Good luck with the piggies- especially the prego mama. Don't forget to post pictures!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.