Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Help blood found on towel

Gabbels

Cavy Slave
This is kind of an emergancy when I was spot cleaning the cage, I changed one of the towels, wapped around a cardboard box to for a tunnel. In side I found BLOOD I have some pictures of it. they both seem completely fine, but eating and drinking. Is it from their urine? It this serious? Is it from fighting? I did try to cut Pippa's nails and she did squeek a bit, but at the time there was no blood is it from that? NEED REPLIES ASAP

IMG_5500.jpgIMG_5495.jpgIMG_5496.jpgIMG_5497.jpgIMG_5498.jpg

Gabbels

Cavy Slave
Blood has been spotted in the cage once before but this was from fighting. A little nip on the ear. Today during cuddles, they seemed even more affectionate then usual. I am feeding them all the right things. I checked their skin, not lumps/ cuts and their nails but nothing.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
From the way it's smudged out, I don't think it would be from their urine as that would be more in a puddle-like shape. It could very well be from the nail clipping, this would leave a trace of coagulated blood in the nail that you will see if you put light under it if the nail is light colored, like a black streak going thorugh the nail out from the pulp.
Use a pet brush & comb through their fur to see if there's any traces of a fight, but with that much blood I'm sure it would show in their coat.

Best option really is to take them both to a vet.

Gabbels

Cavy Slave
oh thankyou so much for the advice. I really do think that it was from the clipping as she does have black nails. but they all seem fine now. As I said, they are both fine and taking them to the vet is kind of a life or death situation. I was doing my home work by their cage before and they were popcorning everywhere!

frillint

Cavy Slave
My guess is a fight or something. Two of my guinea pigs have had a UTI before and it was small circles of blood nothing like that. Maybe you cut a nail and didn't realize it at the time. I got one of my girls quick once and it looked like that on the wash cloth I was using. We didn't have flour at the time to make it stop bleeding. Then again I think you would notice of you hit the quick, because it would bleed right away. I would check them all over and see if you notice anything.

Gabbels

Cavy Slave
I'm really stressing now, I put a new towel in under their house and found blood AGAIN today. They are both still acting fine. Here are some pictures:

Is it possible that it is something vaginal? they are both girls for sure, I checked them again today, eyes to feet but nothing NOTHING!! where is this coming from????? It is such a mystery and it is killing me! I am staying up all night trying to work it out. I just contacted an exotic vet about my findings.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
I'd be worried about a possible bladder stone, infection of the uterus or a URI, with this much blood it's quite serious & you need to take them to a vet first thing in the morning. When you watch them pee, do you see or notice any sign of pain at all?
Take out each pig & put them on your lap with a white towel underneath & see which one is possibly bleeding.

Gabbels

Cavy Slave
I will probably take them to the vet on the weekend or maybe even tomorrow. I have checked both of their genital areas and they are both clean. Does URI involve blood? never heard or seen any pain while peeing. I will try that technique asap, but since it's pretty late in aus, I may have to wait.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Oh I'm sorry I meant UTI, writing from work. Please keep us updated on how it goes, I really do think you should go tomorrow & not wait for the weekend. Most vet's charge more on weekends & cavies could deteriorate really quicky.

Gabbels

Cavy Slave
I doubt that it is UTI because in didn't come in pee. Niether do bladder stones. I am concerned about a vaginal or some internal problem. I will try my best to get them to the vet ASAP

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
What I would do is separate them, maybe put up some grids to keep them separate. Bed with white or light colored towels. That way you can pinpoint which one is actually bleeding, and only take that one to the vet.

It could still be urinary tract related. If it is indeed a reproductive tract problem, time is of the essence. Usually antibiotics alone will not be enough--a spay is usually called for.

Have you been weighing them? Has one of them been losing weight?

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Please take both to the vet regardless if you figure out which one is ill, it will make the whole thing much less stressful for the pig not to travel alone.

pinky

Cavy Slave
It looks like the marks that a bleeding nail would make. If it was from that, you should be able to tell if it bled by really examining the cut edge of the nail. Go to to a well lit area, preferably near a window so you have natural sunlight. Examine the blunt edge of each nail, one at a time. Look for a darker color in the center of the edge. When you clip closer to the quick, you'll see a tiny darker spot in the center. If you cut the quick, the dark area will be a lot larger. If you see that on one of the nails (and you can tell even on black nails) you probably hit the quick and it was bleeding.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
If it was a bleeding nail, it is doubtful it would still be bleeding a day later.

You can transport both to the vet, but make sure the vet knows you are only having the one that has the bleeding checked. Otherwise you will get double the bill!

Gabbels

Cavy Slave
Thanks all for the responses. I found no blood today, (YAY!!!!!) Is it possible that I did accidently cut the quick and a scab formed and she picked it, or it fell off? I am having suspicions that it is Pippa my black pig. But they still seem fine as ever.

Gabbels

Cavy Slave
Ok, so Here is my Hypothosis:
1. This is not coming from their but because, as many of you said, is spread and smeared out like it couldn't be pee.
2. It is coming from Pippa's nail. When I was attempting to trim them, I didn't go fully through the nail and cut all of it off. I kind of cut a bit, then I heard her squeek and stopped. At the time, I checked so see if it was bleeding but found nothing. I put her back in the cage and a day later I find blood on a towel (in first picture) This is just too coincidental. Why did I find blood again the second day? Could it be: the nail/quick was in recovery, it some how got picked/disturbed and started bleeding again. They do run SUPER FAST and I do have bedding (when they hear a noise they will, freeze and dart into the house.) so could this be a possibility?? I checked them again today but found nothing. their feet are still soft as ever!

Let me know what you think about my educated guess.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.