Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Abscess Recurring abcesses?

LoveMySnickers

Cavy Slave
Hi all,

I took Licorice to the vet today for his re-check hoping he would get a clean bill of health. However the vet found another small abscess somewhere around his shoulder blade. (that's how she explained it) It is about the size of a pea right now and it wasn't found last week so she's certain its new. He has been on baytril since his initial abscess surgery 4 weeks ago.

She believes that although the culture that was taken at the time of the surgery showed that the baytril would work most effectively on the abcsess, it is not doing anything to stop the development of new ones.. She stated that they could preform more surgery but that it would be risky considering where the abscess is. (she said there are a lot of blood vessels and veins) She said he would most likely continue to get abscesses even after a 2nd removal surgery. She recommended we finish up the baytril we have left and keep an eye on the new abscess.

I don't know what to do. I don't see the point in giving him more baytril if it isn't working and I don't want to risk another surgery. I feel like my hands are tied because I don't know if we have more options as far as treatment is concerned. Is there anything else that may keep him from developing more abscesses? I just don't feel right about her solutions to the problem. Which were basically "We could preform risky surgery.. or you just keep an eye on it, and call us if it gets worse"

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you in advance..

LoveMySnickers

Cavy Slave
No one????

pinky

Cavy Slave
If it's the size of a pea, she could lance and drain it. You can continue to flush it at home with diluted chlorhexidine and keep him on the antibiotic and probiotic. I've treated two abscesses without having to have them surgically removed. The key is to clean out the pocket and keep it clean while allowing the pocket to heal up from the inside out. You don't want the skin to close up until the pocket is gone.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Why does she say that he will continue to get abscesses? I had a pig with an abscess of the bone in the jaw that took several months to heal, but once we found the right combination of antibiotics to treat, it cleared up without recurrence.

LoveMySnickers

Cavy Slave
She said it's a problem that's difficult to control. I'm thinking about looking to see if there may be another exotic vet in the area because every time I suggest something (I did suggest trying a different combination of AB) they tell me it most likely wont make a difference and he may just be prone to them. I've spent over $600 at this point and I feel like we're going in circles with this vet.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
He may be prone to them but that doesn't mean trying a different therapy wouldn't work. Ditto the thought on a second opinion.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.