Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Neutering/Spaying Should I prepare my male for the surgery in any way??

Roxymarie365

Cavy Slave
Hi! My male is getting neutered tomorrow and I was wondering if I have to do anything to help him prepare. Should I give him more vegetables than usual? Give him more/less floor time today? Please answer and if you have any helpful advice feel free to comment. THANKS!

This is hershey, he's my boy that's getting neutered (Yes he is in a bunny hat in this picture).
110801-164344.jpg

Toadies

Cavy Slave
Just carry on as usual. There is no need to withhold food and water or to give extra. Just do your normal things, as something different may put him on edge.

Roxymarie365

Cavy Slave
Just carry on as usual. There is no need to withhold food and water or to give extra. Just do your normal things, as something different may put him on edge.

Thank You!!! :)

Toadies

Cavy Slave
Just checking in. How's your boy doing? How are YOU doing?

c4talys7

Cavy Slave
Hi, how did everything go?

frillint

Cavy Slave
How did everything go? I had my boy neutered and he had a 100% recovery. I had him since birth, so I did a lot to get him ready for the big day. After I had him in a petstore cage for a week so he did not have much room to move around in, nothing for him to jump on, gave him extra green peppers(for the Vitamin C), I checked his site once a day and weighed him everyday, and I cleaned the petstore cage 3 times a day. I also had a white sheet on top of the fleece to see if he was bleeding or anything. He was introduced to the girls after 3 weeks.

Roxymarie365

Cavy Slave
Sorry I haven't replied to anyone! Hershey is doing great! I currently have to give him his medication three times a day (the Tribrissen Liquid 20cc. I give 2x a day and the Meloxicam (1.5 mg/ml) I give once a day). He will continue taking his medication for the rest of the week (for both) and maybe one extra week (for the Tribrissen). He is doing great with recovery and I'm so excited to let him be with the ladies again! He doesn't really like taking his medication but he always get his yummy vegetables afterwards. Thanks for all the replies!!! :)

Roxymarie365

Cavy Slave
I'm so glad to hear that everything went great with Hershey's surgery. Thank you for giving us an update. I love the picture of him. What a handsome little man.

Thanks! I've had him since he was very little so I didn't want him to be depressed any longer (He wouldn't eat or do much in his cage because he was so lonely). :)

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
So very glad all went well. I am sure he will love to be in with his friends.

Roxymarie365

Cavy Slave
I'm so excited! I'm building a new cage tonight! My Hershey finally gets to be with his ladies (I asked the vet and she said this was fine). I've been planning out how I want the cage for oer a month now so this is very exciting!!!

Toadies

Cavy Slave
Whoa! Hold your horses there, Roxy. Are your girls spayed? Even if they are, your boar may try to mate with them and could hurt himself. If they're not, he still has viable sperm and will almost definitely impregnate them. I believe the recommended quarentine in 3 weeks(?) which allows him to heal and time for the remaining sperm to die. If you put their cages close together, make sure that you have a top on your boar's cage as they have been known to climb out to get to females. I'm a firm believer in "better safe than sorry".

Roxymarie365

Cavy Slave
Whoa! Hold your horses there, Roxy. Are your girls spayed? Even if they are, your boar may try to mate with them and could hurt himself. If they're not, he still has viable sperm and will almost definitely impregnate them. I believe the recommended quarantine in 3 weeks(?) which allows him to heal and time for the remaining sperm to die. If you put their cages close together, make sure that you have a top on your boar's cage as they have been known to climb out to get to females. I'm a firm believer in "better safe than sorry".

No my girls aren't spayed but the vet said he could join back with the females around a week (we are going to do just about everything to build our new cage tonight (buy supplies, make more measurements, etc.) but I guess we could start building the actual cage tomorrow). I will call her to double check just in case. Yes both of my cages have a top :) Just one question... Have you ever had your male(s) neutered or did you get this info from a book/friend? Just curious :)
P.S.Thanks for this post :)

Last edited:

lissie

Cavy Slave
See this link:
Guinea Pig Neutering, How to Neuter your Guinea Pigs
Scroll towards the bottom.

"Make sure you wait three to four weeks after surgery before placing your neutered male with a female. The male needs time for any live sperm to die or work its way out of his system."

Roxymarie365

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone I decided to wait on building the cage because I wouldn't want my poor Momo to be pregnant AGAIN!!! Anyway my vet said two weeks should be good but if he still has aggression (the urge to mount oer pigs), we should wait another week (and knowing my Hershey, Iwill probably have to wait a whole 3 weeks). I guess I will start building the cage not this up coming weekend but the next. Thanks everyone for all the helpful replies!!!

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.