Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Two boars in Central Pennsylvania need homes!

BigChiefHoho

Cavy Slave
It's been quite a while since I've had guinea pigs (haven't had the heart to get one since my last baby died of old age last summer - had her for a good seven years :(), but yesterday I accidentally found myself with three boars. The friend of a friend was going to put them in a sack and drown them, because they had belonged to his girlfriend, with whom he had just broken up. Naturally, I said I'd take them all, so he gave me the guinea pigs and their cage. It isn't very good - about 2' x 2' x 2.5', with a wire bottom (I think it's an old bird cage that they were keeping them in). I wouldn't keep one piggie in it, let alone three. Poor guys.

The problem is that one of them does not get along at all with the other two. He is very dominant and mounts them and won't let them near the water bottle or food dish. Since I have extremely limited room, I've decided I need to find homes for the other two and I'll keep him (despite his dominance with other piggies, he has a really awesome personality with people :)).

The two that need homes get along just fine. They're a bit shy (I get the feeling they were neglected even before the drowning incident), but pretty calm, and I think they'll be very friendly once they've gotten adjusted. One is American and the other has two or three rosettes (really cute - has a big cowlick right up his back). The American is mostly black with a few white and tan markings, and the almost-Abyssinian is about 75% chocolate-with-reddish-ticking (not sure what it's called) and 25% white. The drowner didn't tell me any names.

I'm in Williamsport, PA, right now, but I can drive a few hours to get these two to a good home.

BigChiefHoho

Cavy Slave
Oh, and I just spoke with me boyfriend, who lives around Pittsburgh. If anyone in the Pittsburgh area would like them, he can take them to his house for you to pick up, although he is not able to deliver them right to you. His business requires some travel, so if you're in that area at all, he might come near you.

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
I might be able to help you out. I will email Lisa who helps with rescues and all.

Angel

AmiableAnimals

Cavy Slave
What size cage do you have them in? There should be thre or four of everything - water bottles, hidey houses, food boawls so no one can hog them all. With enough space and resources, you may find they do get along. Good luck.

BigChiefHoho

Cavy Slave
Hmm, they're getting along much better today...perhaps it was just the stress of the move causing the one to behave more aggressively? Anyway, I think I'm going to put this adoption attempt on hold while I see if they can all live together in a big cage.

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
That would be nice to see that happen. I did speak to Lisa and she can not take them anyways. so just let us know and we can help you.

ginnymommy

Cavy Slave
I was wondering how the boys are getting along and if you found them homes.
Got any updates?

BigChiefHoho

Cavy Slave
I moved them into a larger cage (still not nearly large enough, but much better than the original and good enough until the cubes come in the mail) and gave them several food/water dishes to choose from and three separate hide boxes, and they've actually been getting along much better. There is still the occasional fight, but I think that once they get into their final big cage, they'll get along fine.

ginnymommy

Cavy Slave
Great to hear. I am glad that all things have worked out. Remember all things happen for a reason. Good luck with them and keep us or me posted.
thanks

BigChiefHoho

Cavy Slave
Final update:

Big cage is finally built! The piggies almost never fight any more. The only fights are little bits of bickering over the food bowls occasionally. They get along now and seem very happy. :) Thanks for all of the advice!

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
I would love to see pictures of the cage and of the boys!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.