Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

This is our rather lengthy story.... from California

CaMahjonggMom

Cavy Slave
Hello. My teen daughter was given a black and chocolate tan, short haired American boar, who had been purchased from an AZ breeder that her High School Agriculture Dept uses, in March of this year. He was approx 10 weeks old at time of purchase. He is the AG/science project for her school years, for credit & East County Junior Fair showmanship competitions. She named him Pickles. We have never owned anything other than fish and aquatic frogs before, so this has been a real learning experience.
He is an adorable piggie, and he lives in her room. We surprisingly also found out he calms down to Country music. When we knew we were going to be recieving a guinea pig somewhere between Sept & Spring break, I went to Petsmart and purchased an all-in-one piggie cage and set up stuff. Now I know some will say I shouldn't have done that, but I had no knowlege of "things called guineas". I have since learned some of those things. We are now in the process of building a C&C type grid cage with a white Coroplast base & edges. We bought 2 packages of Bed Bath & Beyond's 14" 9x9 square grids (I read about them in this forum). We are attempting to make Pickles a bigger cage, it'll be a 2 x3 size. We bought a 4' x 8' sheet of 0.09mm Coroplast and cut it to fit the measurements. We also bought FTP L joint holders for the edges.
I really would like help 1, in knowing if this is even a correct thing to do since we've invested about $75 thus far. 2, I keep reading about the use of Fleece over the base & edges, why fleece? doesnt the bedding stick to it? or is it instead of bedding. and then, how do you cover the base so the guinea does chew on the material? he loves to chew on everything, including me on occasion. 3, do guineas need things to do to not go stir crazy? i see animals in zoos that just wander aimlessly, our piggie just sleeps. i want him to get up and move around and not just get pudgy. any suggestion?
And I'd just like to be able to type chat with other new Guinea people, if any are willing. I am a stay at home Mother, by the way.

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Welcome ! Fleece over towels or other absorbant material is used instead of shavings. Fleece is a synthetic fiber that "wicks", the liquid goes through to the material under and the fleece stays dry. There are tons and tons of threads here about fleece bedding. I suggest you read up and you will get the hang of it. My four pigs never chew the coroplast so I have fleece pads (fleece sewed to mattress pads) on the bottom only, not covering the sides. You may want to consider adopting a pal for your pig to keep him company. They are social critters and, with proper introductions, can really liven up when they have a buddy ! They do need toys and other things to keep them busy, plus time out on the floor to play. All these things have threads here on the forum so do spend some time reading, but post any specific questions and we will try to help you get started !

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome! I'm so glad you decided to make a C&C cage for your piggy! Definitely the way to go. Guinea pigs are social critters though and would probably appreciate a same gender buddy to pal around with.

Yes fleece is a stand alone bedding. You use it instead of wood-bedding or paper bedding. Make sure you look up the sticky called "The Fleece Project" here on the forum to learn how to prepare it so it works efficiently. You also need an absorbant layer (like bath towels) underneath the fleece. If prepped correctly, the moisture is pulled away from the surface of the fleece leaving it dry for the pigs. That's where the absorbant layer comes in. The moisture needs somewhere to go.

Yes, guineas also appreciate some kind of mental stimulation. Another reason for having a buddy. You can add things to the cage like toilet paper rolls (some people also fill the rolls with hay which pigs LOVE). Some people include ping pong balls for the pigs to toss around.

Make sure you check out the diet thread on this forum to see what kind of veggies guinea pigs need, how often, and definitely what is off-limits.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.