PDA

View Full Version : Problem with playpen

Squint96
07-28-11, 09:01 pm
When I first got a cage before I got my guinea pig, it was preowned (the cage, not pig) and came with a playpen. The playpen has a picture of a guinea pig in it and I'm sure for most people it would work great, the only problem is Squint, my piggy, is able to stand up, put his paws on a horizontal wire near the top, and pull himself over and out. So now when I try to do floor time he is constantly escaping and running off. Is there anyway to stop this? I was told that most pigs don't climb, but he does. I was also told that they aren't big bitters but he has bitten me several times and actually made me bleed before. He will nibble if my finger is there but not always... Anyways is this normal or is he just different and not follow the piggy "rules" :) I wouldn't doubt he's a rebel, but what can I do about the climbing out of the cage?

Bremw96
08-06-11, 08:56 pm
My piggy Tiger also loves to climb and bite occasional so I wouldn't call him a rebel. I would just put something around the pen so when he gets out he wont go far. When tiger ecscapes during floor time I let him explore but keep a watchful eye on him. Good luck to you and your piggy

DoodlePig
08-06-11, 09:01 pm
I don't really think you need a playpen for inside, when I give my pigs floor time in my basement, I just let them loose becuase they are to big to really get lost or get under the couch or anything. It is a good idea for outside, though, so I guess just keep an eye on him when he's in there. And the occasional nibbling is normal, my pigs will try to eat anything that enters their cage, including my hand!

Duffinvt
08-10-11, 02:03 pm
Be very careful of electrical cords on the floor, though. My pigs got loose and cut the phone line. I could not believe how fast they did that. I have a sturdy fence made of cubes zip-tied together now to keep them where I want them in the room. It folds up accordian style when they go back to their cage.

blackarrow
08-10-11, 02:40 pm
Many of us successfully use C&C grids ziptied together to form a playpen.

Doodlepig, I can't at all agree with your suggestion to let him be outside in a playpen his owner knows he can escape and just to "keep an eye on him" then - cavies need someone to keep an eye on them at *all* times when they're outside in playpen even when the walls are high enough to contain them, because you never know when a snake or dog or even a crow might spot them, and it would be downright dangerous to have a guinea pig outside who is able to jump it even if you were right there - they can be incredibly fast, and it's incredibly sad when we've had members have pets who have escaped and run under decks or into woods and can't be coaxed back to safety.

DoodlePig
08-10-11, 03:04 pm
Yes I know about the cords, I would never let my pigs run around if there was any danger of them getting to the cords. (Our TV stand goes all the way to the wall and the cords are tucked away and there's no possible way they could get to them.) Our basement is basically a little room, and the only furniture is the TV, couch, and cage, so there's no way they could get lost.

DoodlePig
08-10-11, 03:12 pm
Exactly what I'm saying-you're watching them anyway, you don't just leave them in there, you sit there and watch them. If the piggy starts to climb, what I'm saying is to take their little piggy paws and let them down until you can find another option. You didn't think I meant that permanently, did you? I'm sorry if it came across that way, I would never want anything like that to happen to another cavy!

Duffinvt
08-10-11, 03:14 pm
Yes I know about the cords, I would never let my pigs run around if there was any danger of them getting to the cords. (Our TV stand goes all the way to the wall and the cords are tucked away and there's no possible way they could get to them.) Our basement is basically a little room, and the only furniture is the TV, couch, and cage, so there's no way they could get lost. OK, it sounds good. Do heed Blackarrow's advice about the pen if you ever take the pigs outside, though. Lots of tunnels and hideys keep pigs occupied during floortime, too !