Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Neutering/Spaying Help got some neutering questions...

pigpigpiggy

Cavy Slave
So I ended up with a male and female guinea pig, but know enough about guinea pigs to catch my male guinea pig before getting my female pregnant :) We have two large cages in my living room, Both my pigs are happy and healthy. They talk to each other from both cages. But they would be much happier together. I refuse to get rid of either because i love them both :D So heres the problem..... After much calling I found only one vet that would neuter my male. BUT ! He said he hasn 't done many, but he would do everything he could do to make it a good procedure. I am afraid for my boar i don't want him to die. I want your advise what do you think ???

Last edited by a moderator:

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
Re: Help got some nuetering questions...

I think it's a matter of what you want to do: Do you want to risk it so that the two can live together? Or are you willing to find friends for each of them? I know the latter of the two may seem a bit of a crazy idea, but surgery is expensive and it can be risky. Any surgery carries risk. What would make me feel uncomfortable is the fact that your vet hasn't done many neuters. Even an experienced vet can lose an animal. What is his success rate - how many of the surgeries were successful?

It's definitely worth considering just skipping the surgery and finding same-sex friends for both of your piggies.

Toadies

Cavy Slave

Is your sow pregnant for sure? If so, when is she due? If she is, why not wait until she has her babies and then decide about what to do? If she has boys and girls, that could solve your problem right there. The girl(s) could stay with mom and the boy(s) could stay with dad. If you neuter your boar and you sow has a male, you will have to seperate somebody somehow anyway. Tincture of time may solve the issue.

pigpigpiggy

Cavy Slave

No she is not pregnate i figured out before he got to her as said in my first post :D And it will not be expensive only 100 $ .

pinky

Cavy Slave

Do you have any guinea pig rescues in your area? If so, I would contact them and ask for a recommendation of a vet that treats exotics and is experienced doing guinea pig neutering. There might be an exotic vet that you aren't even aware of.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave

How quickly did you separate them? Did they spend any time together at all?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.