PDA

View Full Version : Breeder block hutches

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

Sawda
11-11-05, 01:31 am
Can't you see!

Because this person has less pigs she can take the dividers out then the cages will be bigger!

Matt & Guins
11-11-05, 02:46 am
Don't worry I'm not going to start anything!
Just wanted to say I heard that the person whos picture started this all off has reduced her numbers to around 15. Don't know if you wanted to know that.
Unfortunately, this thread is already off to a bad start, and this new information is not going to make the slightest difference at all in the minds of those people against breeding/showing cavies.

Too many people here (well majority) are very anti showing/breeding, and if the intention is still there they dont care whether there are high or low numbers owned.

Matt

C&K
11-11-05, 08:34 am
I remember something about her moving. I hope that she has reduced the herd to make each cage larger, I will bite my tounge on my other thoughts, but who is to say that the reduction is a permanent one, and not due to other reasons? She could be up to over 40 in a matter of a few litters.

I can't help but think something is up with such a drastic reduction in numbers, other then free will and a change of heart. Hopefully I am wrong.

Sabriel
11-11-05, 08:48 am
I checked her site, she is giving them to people due to personal reasons.

Maybe if her remaining pigs are lucky she will make the hutches bigger, now that so many are empty.

But I am forever an optamist (my husband would say to the point of absurdity)

Sawda
11-11-05, 10:13 am
To be honest. I'd like to stick to this site in a way. I'd like to post pictures of my piggies without them being criterzised.
I am frightened to post a picture of one of my sows because she came as a rescue and had a bad case of mites and she is getting vetanairy treatment but i am afraid some one will not read the warning with it and think i am abusing my pigs which i am not! I love my pigs and im sure everyone on here does.
I would also like to share pics of my 14 week old baby himalayans. Would some one kick up about that too?

NewGPMom
11-11-05, 10:14 am
cavies, I was thinking the same as you regarding the drastic reduction in numbers. Wasn't there something about an illness going on at one point where she lost like 25 in less than 6 months. That's what I was thinking was going on again.

Hopefully, she will put them in bigger cages now. Heck they may get lucky enough to get reduced even further and be allowed to come in the house instead of live in the shed. That would be nice too.

As for the ones who she has given away, lets hope they went to better homes and not some of the ones on this thread she claimed to be her friends who saw nothing wrong with her practice on keeping animals.

Sabriel--I am trying to be as optimistic as you but after following this thread for 50+ pages, its hard.

NewGPMom
11-11-05, 10:37 am
Sawda, I am sure you are more than welcomed to stick around this site as long as you follow the rules and remember what this site is about.

Posting about breeding, keeping your pigs in cages to small, etc will draw much criticism and I think by now you know that.

I don't think that anyone would think you were a bad owner if you adopted a pig with a severe case of mites if it is beign treated. Your doing all you can do there and you may even get sympathy. You seem to be taking care of the problem and that is all we ask and expect. That being said, it would be different if you thought there was a problem and left it go to a point that it got really bad. But I don't see that being the case at all. You are getting the piggie treated and that is what matters.

As far as the 14 week old Himi's, I think we would love to see a pigture. However, again be wise in what you say. Saying that you bought them from a breeder or worse yet, bred them yourself would not be in your best interest. Then you would likely take some heat.

We only want what is best for the piggies. If you can conform or at least not brag about things this site is against, you will be just fine.

Sawda
11-11-05, 10:39 am
I am suprised at the sow.. she was sooo bad. i was bathing her every 14 days and spraying her now her treatment is over and her fur is growing back

NewGPMom
11-11-05, 10:45 am
Spraying her?? With what? It has been my impression here and from GL that baths and sprays don't work. Only Ivermectin. Are you sure it was mites and not a fungal infection if they had you bathing and spraying her. I'm not a vet but from what I have read that type of treatment does not work for mites. There is one other thing that works sometimes on a light case of mites and I think that was revolution but am not 100% on that one. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will correct me if I am wrong about any of this.

C&K
11-11-05, 10:47 am
To be honest. I'd like to stick to this site in a way. I'd like to post pictures of my piggies without them being criterzised.
I am frightened to post a picture of one of my sows because she came as a rescue and had a bad case of mites and she is getting vetanairy treatment but i am afraid some one will not read the warning with it and think i am abusing my pigs which i am not! I love my pigs and im sure everyone on here does.
I would also like to share pics of my 14 week old baby himalayans. Would some one kick up about that too?

I think it really depends on you and your intentions as for actively participating on this site. Are you still actively breeding? Do you ever have intentions on breeding again? Basically, are you here to play an active role as a member that shares most, if not all of the CC philosophy? This is a forum dedicated to providing large, spacious, indoor cages to our little furry friends. We advocate the highest standards in diet and care to go along with the spacious indoor cages. Breeding is not a grey area in all but maybe a couple parts of the world where it seems that breeding is not out of control, however, even in these parts, (I am thinking New Zealand and Calgary Alberta) breeding still does leave a bad taste in most peoples mouths, because it isn't impossible to find homeless pigs, they may not have a problem right now, but it does not take much to create one.

As for posting pictures of a rescue in rough shape, I am sure with a disclaimer you should not take too much heat on it. We are not a witch hunting party. I think that it would be nice to see the active recovery of your pig through a photo diary. As for the 14 week old himalayans, I think that really depends on you. They will be recieved in the manner you present them. Where they a mistake that happened before you knew better, or are they your pride and joy for which you wish a repeat of? This is not a board on which breeders will be congraduated for there most recent projects. However, that being said, there are several breeders who have renounced the practice and are very good members here now.

C&K
11-11-05, 10:52 am
Spraying??

Most sprays are really not safe for guinea pigs, they are so small, and even if the active compound could treat mites in them, their is such a good chance of over dosing. I know of one member who a few months ago posted they where using a spray, and recently the pig passed on. I have a feeling the spray could have played a part in that.

Ivermectin or Revolution are the only two products that are reasonably safe for use with Guinea Pigs. However, even Revolution is up for debate with some members.

Guinea Lynx has great info on how to treat mites properly.

http://www.guinealynx.info/antiparasitics.html
http://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html

CavySpirit
11-11-05, 02:31 pm
This thread is closed. Over 50 pages, it's time to start fresh. If you want to continue a splintered discussion, please ask the mods to copy some posts to a new thread.