Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits Planning a C&C Cage for a rescued rabbit.

PSBunny

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone! I'm new around here, so I figured I'd share the story on how I came to acquire my new bunny.

Let me start by saying I work for PetSmart. Two days ago while the store was in full swing in the middle of the day, one of the stockers found a black bunny in receiving. PetSmart doesn't carry rabbits, so our only guess as to how she came to be there was that whoever had owned her decided they didn't want her anymore... must have brought her into our store and let her go without letting anyone know. We're not exactly sure how old she is, since I will definitely admit that I am not a rabbit expert, and definitely don't know what kind of rabbit she is either. Either way, she has a good home now with people who love her.

Unfortunately, she is currently being housed in a small cage that my store had in the back. They're letting me borrow it until I can get a cage of my own. Found this website, and have enjoyed looking at all the cages on here. Definitely want to make one for her.

Just wondering what your suggestions are for a rabbit cage? (i.e. how many levels, how tall, how long, how wide)

Thanks in advance everyone!

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Hello there. Welcome and thank you for taking home your new bunny. There is a very good website for bunny care. It is House Rabbit Society.
I have a rabbit. I have dogs and found the c&c cage I made for one of them was not sturdy enough with the dogs. My female stuck her head out between the grids and a dog was right there. He took her ear off. Lucky she hid and I was able to get her to a vet. My rabbits are now in stainless steel cages that the dogs can't penetrate.
If you do not have dogs you can build a c&c cage. For a while I had mine loose in a second bathroom. It needs to be higher than a GP cage, as rabbits like to stand up on their hind legs. It also needs shelves has rabbits like to hop up on things. Big enough too for some toys and running around. Rabbits do well with litter training and are very clean. (except for little round poops) You can buy corner trays for their bathroom.
For food they eat veggies, fruits, a good pellet, and some hay. They make their own vit c but still like veggies and fruit.
Ask for help anytime and keep us posted on how it all goes.
How big is your bunny? Any chance of a picture?

PSBunny

Cavy Slave
Planning a C&C Cage for a rescued rabbit.

She's pretty small. Haven't taken any actual measurements, but she's maybe 4lbs right now. Uploaded one for you guys since it was requested. This was right after we found her in the back room, so she looks pretty frightened in it. She calmed down dramatically within 20 minutes.

As for dogs, I personally don't own any dogs right now, but I do have friends that visit and bring their dogs with them, so I will make sure to either put her in a room I can close off whenever dogs come to visit our home, or to take the necessary precautions when constructing a home for her. I was already planning on potty training her. Can definitely get that process in full swing when the new cage gets set up. Currently, I offer her Mazuri brand rabbit food, a lot of timothy hay, and have tried her on kale lettuce and carrots, which she happily accepts. Need to take a trip to the grocery store to try out some other fresh fruits and veggies on her. And of course, I always have fresh water available to her at all times.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Slave
She looks like a dwarf or a polish from what I can see. If that is true she won't get much bigger. She is adorable. You sure do sound like a good bunny mommy. She is going to be so happy you took her in. Thank you again for giving her a home.

Last edited:

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Slave
My rabbit eats all veggies. Loves all fruit too. You can give melon with the rind on. M rabbit is a fuzzy lop. He is twice the size of her. He is very tame. I have 4 dogs so I must be very careful. It was his mate (spayed) that lost her ear. Their names were Jamie and Jackie fuzzywuzzy. she passed and he and I were very upset. Good luck and thanks so much for the picture.

PSBunny

Cavy Slave
She is absolutely adorable! And very sweet! She is actually really curious of stuff. One of my close friends/coworkers brought one of her dogs over earlier, and she went to the side of the cage the dog was at and they nosed each other. Of course, both me and my friend we making sure to keep a close eye on them both.

And I am trying to make sure she has a great life from now on. :) Still upset someone could just dump such a sweetheart. My friend is volunteering to help me set up the cage as well. So hopefully I can have all my materials gathered and put it together before the weekend.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Slave
Have you named her? Pictures when you are all finished. Please!

PSBunny

Cavy Slave
Haven't completely decided on a name yet. Will let you know when I do, though!

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
She is gorgeous!

Once she's all settled, you might want to consider getting her a friend. Bunnies are sociable critters, and like guinea pigs, do enjoy the company of a same species animal. Often male/female combos work best (so long as both are neutered and spayed) but female/female works okay too.

Cage wise, it is recommended that you provide a minimum of 36sq ft for 2 small-medium bunnies. 2 grids is just over 2ft. So your looking at a fairly big cage! The cage also has to be at least 2 grids high.The easiest thing to do is to bunny proof a room. If you do this, I would suggest just a small cage (even the petstore one she is currently in or perhaps a 2x3 grid C&C) which would be her home base. In it, have things like her litter tray, food bowl, hay and maybe a bed (so long as she isn't one to destroy it!).

Personally, I have a little nethie (small breed) and her mate who's a bit of a cross. Charlee (nethie) weighs about 1.3kg and Noah weighs about 2.3kg. They have the bottom level of the guinea pig cage (2x5 grids - provides about 14sq ft) and a pen out the front which is 6ftx6ft. So overall they have roughly 50sq ft. They did use to have a little level in the cage, which they loved - I just haven't got around to putting it back in!! We are hoping to buy our own house in the next 6-12 months though, and when this happens they will have their own room.

If you would like some pictures of our set up, let me know. :)

PSBunny

Cavy Slave
Thanks pigsforlife! Me and her other "mommy" decided to give her a name from an anime. (Yeah, yeah. I know.) So her name is now Sango. Also, today we got started on her cage, and we're doing a cage that has a total of four levels in the tall portion of the cage, and then we have an extended "run" for her. She still cannot be in it yet, since we ran out of cable ties, and I don't trust it's sturdiness. And on top of that, we have to still create the floor and pad the levels. We also plan on making her a hammock to see whether she'd like one or not.

Also, right now we're holding off on getting her a buddy, since we're not sure what her previous housing situation was. For all we know, she could have been with an intact male. We want to make sure she isn't pregnant first. If she is, then we'll find the new ones loving homes as well, and keep one for her to have as a buddy.

Also, we're thinking that she may be a Havana. So far, it seems to be the best match for her size and looks.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Slave
Boy, that is one lucky bun who found you for a momma! Her cage sounds awesome!

GPigsRSweet

Cavy Slave
Wow! You should certainly post pictures once you're finished with the cage. It sounds great!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.