Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How much coloplast?

Moxie

Cavy Slave
I currently have two rabbits at the moment a male and a female. I am probably going to get them spayed and neutered this summer. I have them both in 2x3 cages at the moment but I want to up grade. I want to make a 2x8 and split it up into 2 2x4's then when I get them spayed and neutered I can just take down the divider. So my question is how much coroplast do you think I will need? Would two 4x8 pieces of coroplast be ok?

pennick

Cavy Slave
Yes thats enough. 2x4 needs 27" x 56" coroplast. a 4 x 8 measures 48" x 96". So 2 is enough.

Moxie

Cavy Slave
Ok, thank you very much. :)

pennick

Cavy Slave
I forgot to add the 6 inches to each side to flip up. It doesnt matter though, its still enough,

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
A 2x4 is a little small for a rabbit unless they are tiny dwarfs. A regular rabbit needs at least a 3x4 with preferably more than one level. And he needs enough air space to stand on his tippy toes.

bromers

Cavy Slave
are your girl and boy rabbits in the same cage?

Moxie

Cavy Slave
No, they each have a 2x3 cage right now. I want to make their cages bigger because a 2x3 is kind of small for a rabbit. So I am thinking of making a 2x8 and putting a divider to make two 2x4 cages. I am hopefully going to get them both spayed and neutered this summer. When I do get them spayed and neutered I will take the divider down and they can live in a 2x8 together.

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
I think a 2 x 4 is fine if they get exercise time each day. Please be careful about a divided cage, I know this sounds weird but it may be possible for the rabbits to mate through the bars. You may want to put in a double divider to be on the safe side.

laura220

Cavy Slave
About the spaying and neutering. You only need to get the male neutered, it's a much simpler operation so it'd be best if you only neutered him. If in the future you get another male you can always neuter again.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
You should acctually spay and neuter all rabbits.

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
yes, I agree. Unspayed female rabbits have a very high risk of uterine and ovarian cancer. If you find a rabbit-savvy vet or a good exotic vet there is very little risk. Our SPCA spays female rabbits all the time with no problems. Spaying also cuts down on territorial and aggressive behavior, makes bonding easier, and can improve litter box habits.

slap_maxwell said:
You should acctually spay and neuter all rabbits.

Patch

Cavy Slave
bunnyluv17 said:
I think a 2 x 4 is fine if they get exercise time each day. Please be careful about a divided cage, I know this sounds weird but it may be possible for the rabbits to mate through the bars. You may want to put in a double divider to be on the safe side.

I am aware that they can mate through the bars. So I am making the side of the coloplast on each side of the cage go all the way up the side. Does that sound good?

Moxie

Cavy Slave
Woops sorry I didn’t know I was logged on as Patch...I am on a different computer and don’t usually go on cavy cages here. Sorry

laura220

Cavy Slave
Oh okay! Good to know ;)

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
As long as its at least 8", I think it will be fine

Patch said:
I am aware that they can mate through the bars. So I am making the side of the coloplast on each side of the cage go all the way up the side. Does that sound good?

dashtherabbit

Cavy Slave
yes, I agree. Unspayed female rabbits have a very high risk of uterine and ovarian cancer. If you find a rabbit-savvy vet or a good exotic vet there is very little risk. Our SPCA spays female rabbits all the time with no problems. Spaying also cuts down on territorial and aggressive behavior, makes bonding easier, and can improve litter box habits.

could I ask you a question, I know that spaying/neutering can be very expensive, do you know if the likes of the spca help you with costs of these? We have a pdsa clinic near us who do vet care at no cost to those on low income, but they dont do vacinations or spaying/neutering.

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
Our SPCA has a low cost clinic and does do spay/neuter surgery. You should call local shelters and maybe even animal rescue organizations and ask about low cost spay/neuter. I know what you mean, the price of fixing a rabbit has become ridiculously expensive in some clinics and many add on exotic fees.

That is odd that the clinic near you won't do spay/neuter or vaccinations as those are pretty common and easy to preform.

One of the added perks to adopting a rabbit is that many shelters and rescues alter the rabbit for you at little cost.
dashtherabbit said:
could I ask you a question, I know that spaying/neutering can be very expensive, do you know if the likes of the spca help you with costs of these? We have a pdsa clinic near us who do vet care at no cost to those on low income, but they dont do vacinations or spaying/neutering.

dashtherabbit

Cavy Slave
Thank you I will have a look on he internet and also do some ringing around, if nothing else I feel its worth trying!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.