Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Neat Hayrack Idea

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
I was looking for things to use as hay racks because I am starting to hate bent grids, so I tried Walmart. I looked in the bathroom section- and I came across this for $6.88:
Neat Hayrack Idea

I decided to give it a try, so I pulled off the suction cups (haha! there is cilantro stuck on my finger!)-

Neat Hayrack Idea

With all pulled off (It was quite easy)-

Neat Hayrack Idea

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Zipped tied to the cage-

Neat Hayrack Idea

Stuffed with hay-

Neat Hayrack Idea

Hay guard (can also go on the indside if you are smart)-

Neat Hayrack Idea

pennick

Cavy Slave
Nice. I think I have changed my hay rack idea every week. No matter what I do it still ends up all over the floor area which I hate. Only because so much of it gets wasted since it gets thrown out. I don't like the idea of piggies urinating and pooping on their hay. Let me know how yours works out.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
Couldn't you suction cup it to the coroplast? Just an Idea, good find though!!

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
No, I tried it, it wouldn't stick.

Christys GPS

Cavy Slave
Thats a great idea, slap.

Michelle

Cavy Slave
Nice idea let me know how it works out. I tried the hay racks, flowerpots and now I'm trying a baby wipe bin. I cut three squares out of the side took the lid off and zip tyied to the inside of the cage.

mom to cujo

Cavy Slave
My boys love burrowing and lounging in the hay too much for me to use a hay rack. I wish I could. I do throw a large amount away daily when cleaning out the cage but I would hate to take away their enjoyment. That really is a great idea, Slap. Very creative.

A4PigHome

Cavy Slave
Awesome idea, Slap! I think I may use that for one of my cages. I have been looking for something new (and cheap). :)

Piglet

Cavy Slave
ha! I love the stray cilantro (or whatever it is) on your finger =)

I think that's a great idea - but bent grids work well too. Why were they causing you problems?

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
#1 I had a hard time bending them without breaking them. #2 I tried all different styles, normal, suspended, you name it, but Nova would always find a way to jump in it. I did not want to make it a vertical hayrack because I have this thing about hay used for eating/shavings touching. I wanted a suspended and smaller one.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I found the rectangular version of this same shower tray to use for mine, and it's working great also. Percy pulls a bit of hay out to play with, but mostly, he pulls his washcloth over to sit on (tablecloth) and munches through the bars!

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
OH! I nearly forgot about another idea I had! When I was at Bed Bath and Beyond for other stuff (I'm addicted to that store), and I was buying a pack of cube grids to make a pen for the yard out of, they also had packs of small grids that looked to be about 4" square or so and come with the same kind of connectors that the bigger ones come with. When I build the bigger cage, I'm thinking about checking out a pack of those for a different hay rack or veggie bin to cable tie to the side of the cage.

A4PigHome

Cavy Slave
My one cavy loved Slap's idea of a hayrack so much that I replaced another hayrack with this great idea as well. They were really cheap at Walmart (almost twice as expensive at Menard's). I still have one hayrack made of a bent grid, and I am going to keep that one because I have one gp that loves to run through it when it is full of fresh hay.

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
I was thinking the same thing when I saw those at a store the other day! (I need to get out of guinea pig mode when I go shopping.) I didn't get it though because I didn't think the suction cups could come off. But I may give them a try. My current problem is guinea pigs peeing in the hayrack.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
This is continuing to work quite well still.

Daisy Duke
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

lilipution1013

Cavy Slave
Wow, that is a neat idea. My piggies just love jumping into their hay rack (bent grid suspended). I would take it down, but they just look so cute snuggled up in there together. Since I'm re-adding the upper deck soon, I was thinking of putting a second, smaller hay rack up there, and this would work really nicely.

crittermom

Cavy Slave
I put this in my boys' new cage today. Thanks for the great idea!!

RyanR

Cavy Slave
I did that exact same things to today. The boys love it. I don't know why I never thought of it ealier.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.