PDA

View Full Version : Idea's for a Bird cage...

DrowningxInxAir
05-02-05, 10:06 pm
I am currently in the process of making myself a cavy cage... and i got the great idea that maybe you could make a bird cage using the same idea!! so maybe you guys can help me... i would need....

A stronger cage, possibly thicker bars - The bars used in cavy cages are 1/16th inch, probally something in the 1/8th-1/4 inch range...

Smaller spacings - Birds heads can easily get stuck in 1 1/2 inch gaps for guineas... need under 1"

Stronger clips - a larger bird could easily break plastic or wire ties....

A large bird cage... say 4ftw, by 5fth, by 3ftd would cost around 300-400 dollars... so even if expenses are alittle less then that.. things would work..

Let me know if u have any ideas!!!

thanks
Mickey

bunnyluv17
05-03-05, 05:01 am
It would depend on the size of the bird. If you got the white or black regular grids (with 1" square openings) you could double grid to make smaller openings.

Sabriel
05-03-05, 09:46 am
You could get the mesh grids floating around here somewhere.

Moxie
05-03-05, 12:42 pm
I have never seen the mesh grids in person so I can’t really say if this is true or not but if the wholes in the mesh grids are as small as they look I would not suggest it because 1. They could not climb very easily and 2. There toes could get stuck depending on the size of the bird. I think the cubes with smaller wholes would be better than the mesh ones.

Sabriel
05-03-05, 01:11 pm
I wouldn't know. I never had a bird. I was just throwing around ideas. But wouldn't the grids lith smaller holes have weaker wire? DrowningxInxAir wanted strong wire.

Moxie
05-03-05, 01:43 pm
I was thinking the grids like this http://www.cavycages.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=537&password=&sort=1&cat=531&page=2
I don't know what kind of bird she has so it is kind of hard to tell if these girds would work. I have a cockatiel; I don’t have a c&c cage for him though. The mesh would make it very hard for larger birds to climb and the smaller birds could get their feet stuck :(

DrowningxInxAir
05-04-05, 07:07 am
First... she is not a she... it's a he... thank you...

The smaller bars look like they would work very well... and the seem alittle thicker then what i have for my c&c... mine are 1/16th inch.. those look like 1/8th inch, or something inbetween...

I'm not sure what kind of bird i'm going to be getting.... possibly a sun conure, or possibly an eclectus... it depends how much i want to spend... if i get an eclectus, i may not build my own cage... all i need is to kill a 1,500$ bird b/c my cage malfunctions.... -.-;;

Mickey(MICHAEL)