PDA

View Full Version : Help with Cage

Mazzy1893
05-02-05, 09:22 pm
Hey everyone,
I just joined Cavy Cages after stumbling on the website while looking for a new cage for my guinea pig Bella. I have been trying to locate some coroplast, but I have been pretty unsuccessful. I was wondering if this idea might work.
If I bought corrugated cardboard sheets, scored them and sized them to my cubes, then covered them in contact paper and reinforced the contact paper seams with heavy-duty tape, would I achieve the same affect as coroplast? I don't really know where I could find coroplast near me. I live in a small town, Lynnfield, and I have tried searching online for sign stores that sell it. The only places that I can find will sell it to me in bulk, and it is very expensive to buy it in bulk especially considering that I will not need a lot of coroplast to successfully create my cage. Also, I'm trying to think of a way to convince my parents to let me get a companion for my guinea pig. She originally had a companion named Piglet who passed away from Congestive Heart Failure. I know that Guineas are very social herd animals, but I am going away to college in a year and I doubt that my parents will want to take care of two guinea pigs until I can get my own apartment to keep them in. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.
Thanks a bunch!

Sabriel
05-03-05, 09:49 am
Did you try looking at art supply stores? Or home depot? Both sometimes sell coro. Of if you are really desperate you could buy some really big coro signs (you know the ones that say "Help Wanted", Private Property" etc) and tape them together. Put the printed side on the out side and decorate to your hearts content.

Mazzy1893
05-03-05, 03:05 pm
Good news, I found a place that will sell me whatever color coroplast I would like. Now, I am questioning size. I currently have one guinea pig, and I was thinking of making her either a 2 x 2.5 cage or a 2 x 3 cage. In your opinion, which size would be better? I am also planning on adding a 2 x 1 hay loft to the top. Would you reccomend one 4 x 8 sheet of coroplast? or larger? How much will I need for the hay loft? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

pennick
05-03-05, 05:51 pm
For one guinea pig a 2x3 is the smallest you should make. If you are planning on getting a 2nd piggy, go for a 2x4. A 4x8 is the largest sheet they sell if I am not mistaken.