PDA

View Full Version : Confusion Tunnel fluff...?

Gabbels
06-27-11, 02:59 am
Hi, went down to the pet shop to look around and I saw a product called something like 'Tunnel fluff' It was just a coloured card board tube with yellow cotton wool type filling inside? IS THIS PRODUCT SAFE? :confused:

:heart:Gabbels:heart:

Supermissdeedee
06-27-11, 03:17 am
For guinea pigs? Maybe but pigs aren't nesters and won't be intrested in it I think. Maybe get a chube tube (is that what it's called? I Havent found one in the us) and fill it with hay? They will be much more intrested in that I bet

Gabbels
06-27-11, 05:11 am
I googled the chube and its pretty much what it is. but it is just filled with a yellowish cotton wool. I know it is harmful for hamsters as it can get stuck in their cheek pouches but i'm just worried if a guinea pig ate it, would it pass through ok?

Thank you for your help!

Toadies
06-27-11, 07:41 am
It's a synthetic fiber and undigestible. Not a good idea.

Gabbels
06-27-11, 04:27 pm
Thank you all for your help!

Travelingirl916
06-27-11, 05:14 pm
The actual tunnel is safe, but the fluff is not.

Buttercupsmom
07-24-11, 08:46 pm
I saw those at the pet store, they are pricey for a cardboard tube! I just made one out of an old fashioned oatmeal canister. I just took off the label and the lid, and cut out the bottom. My piggies love it!

Onetwo
07-24-11, 09:19 pm
Agreed. Fluff bad and its very expensive for a cardboard tube. At best (if your piggies don't pee and poop all over the inside) it will last you a month before it gets too yucky. There are tons of cute fleece tunnles and tents and beds you can get for your piggies and they are reusable. Try Jen's custom crafts online. I don't have the link but maybe someone else can post it. She has so many CUTE piggy things!

PrincessAngel
07-24-11, 09:58 pm
Agreed. Fluff bad and its very expensive for a cardboard tube. At best (if your piggies don't pee and poop all over the inside) it will last you a month before it gets too yucky. There are tons of cute fleece tunnles and tents and beds you can get for your piggies and they are reusable. Try Jen's custom crafts online. I don't have the link but maybe someone else can post it. She has so many CUTE piggy things!

I've actually had the Chubes last years even with poop and pee (pigs still chew on it). I just got rid of my orginal one bought in 2008. The one I bought last year is still going strong and I recommend cardboard tubes for piggies who like to chew (mine do!) But I do second fleece tunnels! You can make your own pretty simply even without a sewing machine or a whole lot of sewing experience.

Also I just throw away the yellow fluff

Cinpepmeg
07-25-11, 01:09 am
Here's the link to Jen's Custom Crafts. Jens Custom Crafts LLC - Home (http://www.jenscustomcrafts.com/)
My girls LOVE fleece and they popcorn around whenever I add something new and "fleecy" to their cage. I've bought several things from here and my girls adore the toys!

foggycreekcavy
09-22-11, 12:16 pm
The fleece tunnels are wonderful for when you are using fleece bedding. When used with shavings they tend to get hard to clean. My pigs on fleece love their fleece tunnels from Jen.

I buy the cardboard tunnels from Drs. Foster & Smith online. They often have sales where the price is less if you buy a certain amount. They often have free shipping, too. I usually give my new adopters one (or a washed, used pigloo, or both!). I just throw the yellow fluff away, or use it as batting in pillows.

I love the cardboard tubes (also called Chubes, or Chewbular tubes). The pigs don't get trapped inside by other pigs, and they don't get all hot and sweaty (pigloos can be little ovens). Some pigs will chew them up pretty fast, while others don't even chew them at all! Some pigs get them pretty messy with poop and pee, so you may have to throw it out if it gets too gunky.

(I apologize for bringing up an older thread--but I was just discussing this topic with an adopter the other day!)