Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New to the forum AND new to cavies

Kaitee

Cavy Slave
Hello all,

My name is Kaitee and I am going to be taking home that was just born on Saturday this Sunday. My brother's friend's cavies had a litter and they are keeping all except for my Milton. No... I didn't name him Milton for any particular reason, but I do like Paradise Lost by John Milton.

So, just by happen-stance yesterday, I agreed to take on the baby. I held him for a while and seemed quite content and fell asleep in my hands before I had to leave him. :)

I'm someone who likes to take the best possible care of their pets (though, I only have a yellow lab at the moment named Bonny), so I'm doing a lot of research on cavies and I feel like I'm off to a good start. I have a 40 in. x 20 in. cage right now, but I hope to get a C&C cage once the little guy grows up a bit more. I'm also in the process of setting up his cage at the moment. I feel that I've done well picking out toys and such. I just need to construct a shelf thing with a ramp because the plastic shelf that came with the cage is bent. I also read somewhere that they like rocks. Should I go pick up a stone outside and put it in his cage?

Anyhow, I'm glad to be getting this little guy. I've been wanting a small animal to hold and pet. After all, us Aspergians (mild autistic disorder) are tactile and like to feel different textures (Milton's fur is vastly different from Bonny's). I will post a picture of the cage and of little Milton when he arrives on Sunday.

I'll be looking forward to conversing with and getting to know you all. :)

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
Welcome!! But, I'm a little confused. Will the baby only be a week old. I'm sure I read this wrong. I'm sorry I'm tired.

You'll need to but him alfalfa pellets. See if you can get Oxbow Cavy Performance. He'll need grass hay like timothy , orchard, bermuda also. Go easy on the veggies if he's not used to them.

Let us see a picture when you get him. Are you going to get him a friend ?

Cogni

Cavy Slave
That's what it sounds like to me too, that you are intending to take an 8-day-old piggie away from its mother. Such a young pig is not weaned yet! Can you please tell us, is that what you intend to actually do, and if so, why? At that age a piggie is too young to do without its mother and her milk.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
Wait until the baby is 3 weeks old and then you'll have a very healthy baby. He'll be weaned then. 21 days.

Kaitee

Cavy Slave
According to the family, the babies and parents have already been separated and Milton is on a full pellet diet. I thought that was a little premature too, but their kind of shoving him out of the nest. They are keeping the other three babies because they are replicas of their parents, and Milton is an oddball.

Cogni

Cavy Slave
Hm, are these babies really only 5 or 6 days old now? And they were taken away from their mother? This does not bode well for their socialization with other piggies. Babies learn a lot from interacting with their momma and siblings--they learn about piggie hierarchy which they will need to get along with others.

I'm sorry but if these piggies were really just born last Sunday I have to say I think this family is very wrong to do this. Would they do the same to puppies or kittens?

Cogni

Cavy Slave
Not to mention the emotional factor. Some piggies HAVE to do without a mother because she dies. The babies are probably distressed and grieving for the loss of their mother.

Kaitee

Cavy Slave
I'm afraid so (to all of the above). They have a guinea pig book that said that guinea pigs can be separated after a week.

Cogni

Cavy Slave
But it hasn't even been a week! Poor little motherless tykes!

A nutritionist told me that for all mammals mother's milk develops the immune system. I hope the babies do not get allergies or otherwise suffer from problems later in life due to this deprivation.

Kaitee

Cavy Slave
I know. :( That's why they suggest breast feeding for humans even rather than the generic formula.

I will definately be keeping my eye on Milton. From what I saw a couple of days ago, he seemed healthy: clean coat, clear eyes, etc. If I have to, I will take him to the vet for any treatment he may need. I also may see if he will warm up to fruits and veggies earlier than I had originally intended to get his nutrition balanced.

Overall (though I may be jumping the gun), I think I'll be more able to take better care of Milton than the care he is recieving at the moment. I just hope the other little guys will be okay. The family went on vacation yesterday and will be gone for a month. Someone will obviously be caring for all of the animals, but I don't know if they know what they are doing. :boggled:

Kaitee

Cavy Slave
Hello all: just wanted to update.

Milton came home today. I thought he transitioned fairly well with being separated and having his first car ride.

When we were home I let him look at his new home for a few minutes and then put him in. He looked around the place initially, and then went in his little hut where his fleece bed is and remained there for several hours while periodically poking his head out.

I just came up after my dinner with some chips and ate at my computer. After a few minutes, he came out and sat himself down in his food dish. It's a relief to see him eating and not being so skittish anymore. He also just had a drink of water from his bottle a few minutes ago. The water was what I worried about most because having birds in the past, it was more difficult to get them on the bottle.

Pictures will probably come tomorrow. I don't want to frighten him any further today.

P.S.: I have been mimicking his sounds every so often. Is this a good idea? It could be my imagination, but I think when I respond to him, he becomes more content and not as nervous.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.