Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Setting up Cage for 1st time?

TripleB

Cavy Slave
I'm setting up my cage for my family's first pair of Guinea Pigs. I've got a divider I'm going to put in it to seperate the 'feeding' area from the 'play' area. I'm doing this in hopes that where they eat they will take care of 'their business' (is this a realistic hope?) in order to save on bedding costs.

In the cage I plan on having a couple Pigloos, a wooden 'Hide-Out' of some type, and maybe a play tube.

Should I put all of the hiding places in the 'play' area of the cage or do I need to have at least one in the 'feeding area'?

Thanks for your input.

TripleB

guineapiggirl1

Cavy Slave
You probably shouldn't divide up your cage for the simple reason that guinea pigs like to run laps round their cage, and dividing isn't at all necessary.
In a way, having divisions in their cage takes away space, if you see what I mean.
Your guinea pigs will 'go' most where their food is anyway, so it shouldn't make much difference having an extra grid to separate the cage.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Many people have a kitchen/feeding area for their cage. If the cage is large enough, it's okay to divide it. I don't use any hidey in my cage as they take up too much space. I drape towel on the grids to cover the kitchen. And I use fleece tent or tunnels in other parts of the cage.

guineapiggirl1

Cavy Slave
If the cage is large enough, it's okay to divide it.
If the cage is 2x4, I wouldn't recommend dividing, but if it is more or less equal on both sides like a square (e.g. 3x4) then it would be ok.

lissie

Cavy Slave
You're right. If the cage is only 2x4, it shouldn't be divided.

lissie

Cavy Slave
That's even smaller than a 2x4 C&C. Try not to section it off. Guinea pigs need room to run laps.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
Can you make the cage bigger? That's a little small for two pigs.

TripleB

Cavy Slave
Can you make the cage bigger? That's a little small for two pigs.

Yep...I'll take care of that tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone's input.

TripleB

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
Wait until you see how happy they are with more room. Can't wait to see the cage.

TripleB

Cavy Slave
Wait until you see how happy they are with more room. Can't wait to see the cage.

Right now I think they are in the scared phase. They seldom come out of their Pigloo, only to get some food/water/hay, but I'm hoping that will improve in the days to come.

Thanks for the help.

TripleB

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.