Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New from Germany

Applefarmer

Cavy Slave
Hi all.

I recently purchased 2 male Cavies after weeks of research in the web. Part of my reasoning is to help teach my 2 children responsibility. The other part of the reason was that I wanted to relive part of my childhood through my own children. Since I am an information man i decided to join this forum.

Our Cavies live outside in a fair sized Hutch about 3 square meters with a second more portable yet larger cage that can be moved and reshaped around our yard or in to the house since winters here can get rather savage i thought it a good idea that the piggies be able to spend time indoors with us.... as well as outdoors in the fresh air in the summer.

I have found myself coming home from work and watching them play quite often its a good way to wind down after a days work.... however i do have a few questions. and hope that someone here might be able to answer them.

Q #1: Since our piggies live outside 24/7 is there a kind of flee, Tick, repellent that i should look into or are they generally safe from them...

Q #2: What about immunizations from the vet against things like parasites, bacteria, and viruses that they might encounter during there lives. (They get a well balanced diet with a variety of veggies 1x per day fruits 2 x per week or as a treat; and of course they have all the hay they can eat or play with daily " We have horses as well :D"

Q #3: Toys, Houses, and tunnels. Are there any special woods that they are not allowed to chew on? since i am a do it your self kind of guy i prefer to build my own accessories. mostly i will probably work with sandstone for the homes, but i understand they must have something to chew on as well. I also want to establish a feeling of security but also give them lots of reason to play and exercise so the tunnels i plan to use will be made from 5" diameter acrylic piping in small 10"-15" sections.

Q #4: The Hutch..... during the winter i plan to insulate and cover the Hutch since they will sleep outside. (the hutch will be secured out the wind, rain, and snow.) but it still gets very cold about -20 grad occasionally. So I'm wondering about regulating the terrace with a warming lamp...I have noticed that the petting zoo here in our town has done pretty much the same thing for there piggies only on a larger scale.

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Please keep them indoors! There are hundreds of reasons why, but the temperatures you mention are much too cold for them ! This forum promotes keeping guinea pigs indoors and you will enjoy them so much more if they are inside and part of the family!

Cogni

Cavy Slave
Welcome, Apple Farmer! (Apfelbauer?) Piggies can chew on apple wood so you can make their accessories out of that. My cousin has an organic apple orchard in Germany and I brought back a bundle of sticks pruned from his trees. (verboten, I know). My piggies love them. Piggies can also chew on willow (Weide).
My suggestion is to take them outside in spring summer when it is between 18 and 25C and someone is outside in the garden with them, and bring them in at night. Look at all the great cage designs on this site. I'm sure you can build a nice set-up for them in a family room that your spouse will like. Piggies don't smell when they are kept hygienically.

Henrysmommy

Cavy Slave
Willkommen!! Haben sie fotos von den Mereschwein? Sorry my Germans very rusty.- I agree with the other posters, keeping them inside is the way to go. Just yesterday there was a news story about a dog getting a hold of a pig in a hutch, very bad stuff. If you want them to have fresh air they can always go out for a few hours at a time, under a watchful eye.

Applefarmer

Cavy Slave
thanks for all the posts i will take them into consideration. No seriously nice photo's at the moment. but they will be coming shortly.

My wife plan to renovate our terrace into a winter garden (indoor garden) where we can enjoy breakfast and coffee in the winter mornings and evenings if we complete it early enough it might be an option for the piggies this winter... however we have friends that have kept their piggies out side for the last 8 years. if all else fails they will get there own pen in the barn during the winter.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
Welcome!! Sorry I can't remember any of my German. My grandmother could speak only mostly German and I had the language through most of my younger life.

But, when I was a kid 45 years ago my guinea pig had the run of the backyard and he only lived around 5 years. 20 years ago I started having rabbits again, spent a lot of money on a nice big hutch, put her outside and then a few hours later brought her in. A raccoon was trying to get her. My rabbits have never been outside again. It's just too dangerous out there for them. They are food.

DustDevil

Cavy Slave
It sounds like you have put good consideration into their care, and if they are playing every day one must imagine they are generally happy with their lives. Those temps do sound extreme, but Im sure an adequate degree of insulation, and places for them to shelter themselves from chill and bundle together, would allow them to manage their temps as they would were they not someone's pets. Still, I imagine it might be good to have a heat source or an indoor option just in case it gets too frosty.
As long as your piggies are happy and healthy it sounds like a good life.

Supermissdeedee

Cavy Slave
This is directly from this website.
"It's impossible to truly appreciate life with a guinea pig unless you keep him inside your home. Just like a cat or a dog, guinea pigs are companion animals with personalities all their own. If you don't actually live with a guinea pig day in and day out, you'll never get to know him as well as you could. Likewise, the guinea pig won't get to know you.
If your guinea pig is outside most of the time, the two of you will lead separate lives. You will miss out on the chance to have your pet sleep on your lap while you watch TV and gaze up at you from the floor while you eat dinner. People who live with indoor guinea pigs enjoy these antics and more from their pets.
There are also many other practical reasons for keeping a guinea pig indoors. Guinea pigs who live inside tend to live longer than outdoor guinea pigs. Bad weather and predators are responsible for the demise of many outdoor guinea pigs. These are consequences of outdoor living that even conscientious owners cannot always control.
Illness is a major cause of death among outdoor guinea pigs, mostly because outdoor pets are more difficult to monitor. Signs of sickness can be subtle at first, and because outdoor guinea pigs spend less time with their owners, it can be a day or so before the owner recognizes the illness. In the case of rapidly progressive illnesses, a delay of even one day can cost a guinea pig his life.
The decision to keep your guinea pig indoors is a wise one. Even guinea pigs who have been living outside for years can acclimate to a life indoors."

Just putting that in there. Anyway, hello and welcome to this amazing forum! I hope you and your pigs have long healthy years together!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.