Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Feedback on my new cage?

Roses

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone... I am brand new here. We are going to foster a guinea pig or two for a local rescue starting in July, and I've been building a C&C cage based on the research I've done. I've attached some pictures for you to see. I would appreciate any feedback or ideas from you all as I am a guinea pig newbie!

It is a closed 2x4 C&C cage connected with zip ties. For bedding I am using 2 layers of UHaul's furniture pad and topped with a layer of fleece. I have a small cat litter pan that I plan to put a layer of newspaper in and then top it with fresh hay each day. It is right near the water bottle. I have two ceramic food bowls... one for pellets and one for fresh veggies and fruits. I have a crinkle tunnel, a cuddle cup, a pigloo, and a wooden bird toy hanging from the top. I will get another hidey hole should we end up fostering 2 guinea pigs. I am also still looking for a hay rack to put over the litter pan. So far, I have struck out. I am also thinking I want to elevate the cage and not have it on the floor.

I've attached pictures of the top closed and open, all the toys and accessories, and a close-up of the furniture pad under the fleece.

What do you think so far? Any feedback for improvement or changes?

One specific question I have is do you think the guinea pig(s) will be able to get into the litter pan or will the sides be too tall?

Thank you so much! :)

sarah_atx

Cavy Slave
It looks really nice! You might consider covering one corner with a towel for more hiding options? Just over the top of the cage cover even I think would be okay.

I have my fleece tucked over the top rim of the coroplast. The other day one of the corners of the fleece fell down and my younger guinea pig burrowed under it. I wonder if they would be able to pull up those corners and make a mess under there?

I hope you really like fostering!

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Looks nice !! Lucky foster pig(s) ! I'd move the hay away from the water bottle or you will likely have a soggy mess. Water bottles tend to drip. I keep a washcloth under mine and replace a couple of times a day. I have an even higher plastic bin that my pigs use at floortime and all four jump in it with no problem. Depends on the pig, you might have to use something else if you get small ones.

Henrysmommy

Cavy Slave
Wow!!! May i live there? That's a beautiful cage and any Pig you foster is sure to be a lucky one. Having a second water bottle (Even if it's just a wee one) helps- at least that's what I find with my Henry.

GPigsRSweet

Cavy Slave
Wow!! I love it!
I do agree you should move the water bottle over a little so the hay doesn't get wet. My only other suggestion would be to have another layer besides newspaper in the kitchen as that is a big "potty area" (at least for my pigs). They don't mind eating, peeing, and pooping all in the same place I guess! :)

One specific question I have is do you think the guinea pig(s) will be able to get into the litter pan or will the sides be too tall?
I think you will be fine just leaving the pan the way it is. The sides don't seem very high, and unless you are fostering a pig with a disability or a senior pig, they should be fine jumping over it. I had a pan about that size, and my pigs were fine jumping into it. In fact, when I had an entrance, they sometimes ignored it and continued jumping! Also, that way you won't get hay all over from having short sides.

Like you mentioned, it may be a good idea to raise the cage up. I like my cage up a bit higher to be able to interact easier with the pig(s). It's also easier to clean the cage when it's higher up. Better on the back. ;)

I think your foster pig(s) will be very happy in their new home! You did a terrific job, and I am impressed by how much you've researched before getting pigs. Good luck and have fun!

Roses

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Sarah_atx, I'm not far from you... and the guinea pig rescue we're fostering with is the one near Austin! :) I am thinking the piggies might get under the fleece as well. I have some plain, wood blocks that my dad made for my boys... just the old fashioned building blocks. They are untreated. I was thinking I could put some in the corners? I also read someone uses little ceramic kitchen tiles to help hold down the fleece. Might have to think of something.

Duffinvt, I was thinking that too... I like your idea of the washcloth. I want to get a hack rack and I might just slide the litter pan under the hay rack.

Henrysmommy, thanks for the tip about the water bottle! Good idea! I'm not real crazy about the one I got. The bottle itself is fine, but the spring fastener that goes around it has really stiff clips that are tough to get on over the wire grids!

While picking up some supplies at the pet store, I couldn't help but peek at the guinea pigs they have there. They were adorable of course, but it was so sad to see a pair of them holed up in this glass aquarium that was no bigger than a foot deep and 2 feet long. They had a pigloo in there but just no room at all to live! So sad. :(

We plan on absolutely spoiling our foster piggies! We are so excited! Thank you all, again, for the great suggestions!

Roses

Cavy Slave
GPigsRSweet, just saw your reply! Thanks for the feedback! Do you have any ideas for what else to layer the litter pan with? I'm glad to hear that the little litter pan should work. I almost purchased a litter pan made for small animals that had a high back and low entrance, but it was way more in price than the cute little pink kitty litter pan so I went with that! :D I am brainstorming ideas of how to raise the cage up. Just putting down the padding and fleece was hurting my back! Oh and thanks for the compliment on my research! lol So thankful for this forum which has been an absolute treasure trove of information!

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
Welcome!! A lot of people use grids to put their cages on or tables.

You could put Yesterday's News or wood stove pellets in. A 40 or 50 # bag is very cheap I hear. I use Carefresh. The newspapers will be a soggy mess if you use just that with the hay.

I use puppy litter boxes for my pigs and buns and love them. Their expensive but I like that they last a long time.

Roses

Cavy Slave
Deb's4Pigs, thanks for the ideas! If I use a bedding like that in the litter pan, do you think a lot of it will end up all over the fleece? And if it does, will it be too difficult to clean? What if I folded up a small towel? Thanks for the idea about the grids... I think that's what I'm going to attempt! :)

Shivra

Cavy Slave
Wow, what a little piggy palace! I love the p

Shivra

Cavy Slave
Wow, what a little piggy palace! I love the pink but I guess I'm a little biased. To solve my water bottle drip issues I've put a brick under each one, it helps keep front claws filed and the water usually dries quick and keeps my fleece dry.

I think it looks great! Congrats on your fostering, I'm sure you'll do a great job.

Roses

Cavy Slave
Thanks Shivra! I have only one daughter and then 3 sons so any excuse to buy girly stuff I jump at it! lol It has been fun setting up a cute girly cage... and if we foster boars I'm sure they won't mind! :D I love the idea of a brick... I was just reading about that idea this morning. Thanks!

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
I use bricks as well and they do keep their front nails trimmed. Keep checking the nails but you'll see they won't need to be trimmed as much.

You can try the towel but I don't think you'll like it. You'll have to change it all the time. You have sides on the litter pan so I don't think the litter will get all over.

C. Cole-Chakotay

Cavy Slave
Very nice cage!

GPigsRSweet

Cavy Slave
GPigsRSweet... Do you have any ideas for what else to layer the litter pan with?
I second the woodstove pellets or Yesterday's News. I understand the worry about getting the pellets on the fleece, but I have Yesterday's News and it stays pretty well in the pan. The hay actually is more messy!

There are many different options for what to put in a kitchen area, it really depends on your set-up and your pigs.

Here are a couple links to give you ideas if you haven't already looked at these:
https://www.guinealynx.info/bedding.html
Bedding
https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=156

pinky

Cavy Slave
I think your cage is really pretty. I love the pink!

Cogni

Cavy Slave
How cute! It looks like pink camouflage!

krystalmoore86

Cavy Slave
I use a grid bent into a half circle and zip tied up as a hayrack, you van put a lot in and one of my pigs lives on it like a perch she sleeps up there all the time. It's hanging over a litter plan to catch the loose bits

krystalmoore86

Cavy Slave
I use a grid bent into a half circle and zip tied up as a hayrack, you van put a lot in and one of my pigs lives on it like a perch she sleeps up there all the time. It's hanging over a litter plan to catch the loose bits

Roses

Cavy Slave
Debs4pigs - thanks! I'm glad to hear the bedding should mostly stay in the litter pan - that will help!

C. Cole-Chakotay, Pinky, and Cogni - thank you! :)

GPigsRSweet - thank you for the links! I spent the afternoon pouring through them all!

Krystalmoore86, I think I'm going to give the grid-turned-hay rack a go!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.