Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits A new cage for my lionheads

LionHeadDad

Cavy Slave
So I have two lionhead rabbits Monty(as in Monty Python) and Jessica(as in Jessica rabbit(duh)). Currently they live in a regular cage I got at the petstore(wire with a plastic bin bottom) and an hexagonal exercise pen with a mat designed for it as the bottom which they have access to at all times so they can go between the two. They seem pretty happy with this the only problem is they tend to eat the mat exposing my (new) carpet which since they don't do a great job getting to the litter pans(one in the pen one in the cage) all the time I don't want them ruining. That's when I discovered guineapigcages.com and the idea of C&C cages. I have now designed what I would like to do and it looks like this in concept

WWWW WWWW WWWW
W S S W
W S S W
W S S W
WSSSSSSSSSSSS W
W S S W
W S S W
W S S W
WWWWWWWWW W
W W
W W
W W
W W
W W
W W
W W
WWWW WWWW WWWW

basicly a 3W X 4L X 2H with a 2X2 ledge\small room in one corner so they can hide if they like(Jessica does she's a scardy cat). There will also be a ceiling in the ledge area so they can't hop out. Now my questions.

1) the ledge should i change it to just go along the back wall?

2) connecting the panels do you advise using the connectors that come with the cubes or using the zip ties? I know I need my ledge to be sturdy since rabbits are a little heavier than guinea pigs. Mine are about 5 pounds Jessica is actually bigger. They also tend to run around a lot(they are rabbits) especially when Monty chases Jessica to do what rabbits do best(not hopping ;)) and will often hit the walls.

LionHeadDad

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure what happened to the spacing in my design but hopefully you guys(and gals) can tell what I'm talking about.

LionHeadDad

Cavy Slave
More or less like the cage in the second link only the ledge is in a square 2X2 in the corner not along the whole back wall(I'm not even sure I can manage that yet!). I want it to be bigger since I can't let them out to "roam free" since I don't have a room a could rabbit proof. Unfortunetly I may have to get two pieces of coloplast since i wanted to build the walls up higher to prevent litter from being kicked out.

LionHeadDad

Cavy Slave
I've seen the wood beam in a few photos on here and I think that will work out. Though wires in\near my rabbit cage would make me nervous Monty got a a wire near the cage once and chewed it pretty good. I make a point never to have any within their reach anymore.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
My buns have an x pen and I attached two solid grids with zipties to the wires. Works great for my lionhead lop, Mufasa.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.