Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Infection Squirmy Piggy

Boudicca_Olympe

Cavy Slave
I recently took my baby to the Vet and apparently she has an ear infection. He has given me some special drops to give her every day for 10 days.

My problem is, she is a very squirmy piggy. She despises having her ears touched and moves around a lot, making it so difficult for me to give her the drops.

Do you have any tips for making this easier?

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
I found it helpful to swaddle the piggy in a hand towel.
It really seemed to calm him and kept him from squirming while I gave him his meds.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
What if you relaxed your piggie a bit first, by rubbing/petting ? ( whatever is your piggies favorite type of touching)

How old is your baby ?

If that doesn't help, then firmly ( like in a cocoon, or sausage) around the middle with a small hand towel. Snug enough, that he/she is contained, but not so tight that it cuts off any circulation !

Good luck !

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Sometimes ear drops are not enough to take care of an ear infection, and oral antibiotics are needed. Keep a close watch on your pig, and if it appears she is not recovering (losing weight, developing a head tilt) then call your vet asap.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
That is such a good point foggy, for when my Buttercup had her ear infection ( she was like 7 or 8 weeks old) we were given the antibiotic, Enrofloxacin (10mg/ml) to give her orally, 0.2ml twice daily, (every 12 hours) until gone. Within a day or two she showed a remarkable improvement.

Last edited:

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
When I've had to do ear drops or eye drops, I hold the pig under the belly and back them into my stomach, hold them tight, and then with the hand that's holding the pig under the belly, grip their head with my finger and thumb (firmly, but not too tight) and back the head into my chest/stomach and then when I have a firm hold, drop the solution in. For ears it also helps if you can warm the solution - either in your hands or by holding the bottle in warm water for a few minutes. Cold solution is painful and there's no wonder that they hate it. If you can make it a little more comfortable, they won't squirm so much, hopefully. Wrapping in a towel is a good idea too.

Also, do consider oral antibiotics too. Perhaps ask your vet.

Boudicca_Olympe

Cavy Slave
Thanks Everyone.

It's been day three on anti-biotics and she seems to be improving and less cranky.
The vet said if it hasn't cleared up in 10 days I should call him.

I should've asked him about the oral anti-biotics...argh..

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Oh, I am so glad that she is getting better, poor tweety !

I hadn't had Buttercup that long yet, when she came down with an ear infection. I was so very new at all this, and from the way she was acting ( I believe that this was before I learned about this awesome site) I thought she had broken her neck !

She was extra cuddly, ( for being so new to me, I thought that was very strange) and her head was tilted so badly, that when she laid on me like that, I thought for sure she had broken her neck somehow. I was a MESS. I was crying so hard that my husband, even consoled me !

Well within short order we took her to the 24 hour Animal ER Milwaukee Emergency Center for Animals And Speciality Services. So, as you can imagine, I was so relieved that it was just an ear infection !

I am sure that unfortunate experience, strongly motivated me to read as much information about their care, as I possibly could ! I had already begun my research about my new fur balls, but for awhile I became obsessed with reading and learning more.

I still have a lot to learn, and still will I am sure, for years to come, with my lovely two girls. But I do feel much more confident now, than I once did, and a little more relaxed. Largely do to all of you ! This site is just the best, thanks guys !

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.