Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Foam anti-slip mat

yurigiri

Cavy Slave
I am a new piggy mom. I have been using fleece for a month ever since I brought my piggies home.

Actually, fleece isn't that of a convenience to me. Especially the washing and drying part. I have to hand wash the fleece and hand dry it.

I am not allowed to use the washing machine for washing piggy blankets. My mum says so. I kinda agree to it. The idea of the pee, hay and fur residue stuck in the machine:sad:
The washing machine is for washing human clothes only.

This week, I'm giving the foam anti-slip mat a go.

They look like this

(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)

One of my pig did chew on it. I sprayed the entire mat with vinegar solution after, so it wouldn't be tasty to chew on.

It's quite amazing it keeps the pigs butt slightly dryer than on fleece and also leaves no pee stain on it. I would need to lift up the mat to see the stain on the pee pad below.

They did not bite the mat after that. However, is it safe for the piggies:?:
In terms of the material that it is made.

There are tiny holes in it. I do wonder if it might cause possible toe nail injury. They do seems to be able to run on it freely, for now.

Do you guys think the anti-slip mat would be okay? Or is it dangerous, I would need to change back to fleece.:confused:

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
It's not safe, nor hygenic & bacteria will build up quicky.
You could roll the fleece with a lint roller to remove all hair & hay, shake the fleece & blankets & brush them off before rolling them thuroghly with the lint roller. Any small amount of hair left will usually stick to the bottom of the lid of the washer so you could easily wipe it off. If your mother still disapproves, run an empty water cycle after washing the pigs items.

Washing dirty items in a washing machine does not make the washer dirty or the clothes being washed after. I'm sure most parents wash dirty or soiled baby clothes in a washer. Same logic. If your mother still has an issue with this, it's not about practicality, simply personal.

Also, use white vinegar when washing, it will remove any remaining piggy odor or bacteria as you can't wash the fleece in a hot enough temperature like the towels.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.