Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Looking to make a C&C cage!

PiggyPalooza

Cavy Slave
Hi, so I'm interested in building a C&C cage. I have never made one before. I currently have 1 piggy and want to make him a great new home. Any tips or suggestions?

sewlittle

Cavy Slave
This is the absolute right site for you! Start your research!

PiggyPalooza

Cavy Slave
I know this site is awesome! I think I know the design I want to make, but any tips on tips on where to buy grids and coroplast, ideas on accessories, etc?

sewlittle

Cavy Slave
I bought grids at Kmart...6 cube grids for 19.99. I got my original grids at Target, but you have to watch that half arent bigger grids. Coroplast I got thru my rescue place. But I called around and there are a few sign shops that sell it. You can make the fleece accessories.
Have fun!

PiggyPalooza

Cavy Slave
Thanks! It'll be a new adventure for me as well as my piggy, Snickers. He'll have a grand old time in a new cage! And I'll check out Kmart for the grids. Thanks alot

krystalmoore86

Cavy Slave
Count how many squares long the grids are, I believe they need to be a minimum of 8 squares across to be safe. I also have a pig named snickers!

Cavyness

Cavy Slave
Actually the grids need to have 9 squares across. I made the mistake off buying the Target grids with 8 squares and my boy Roscoe was able to stick his head right through! But luckily I found the correct grids at Kmart for the same price. It may be a good idea to open the box and double check for the right size.

And I found a place to buy coroplast by looking through the yellow pages in the Sign shops section. Call on weekdays usually before 5pm, or visit their website. Check and see if there is a Sign A Rama near you, they can usually sell you some coroplast.
Good luck with your C&C!

Last edited:

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
You can also buy the grids at Bed Bath & Beyond. That's where I got mine last week. Or online.

Cavyness

Cavy Slave
Sorry double post.

Last edited:

krystalmoore86

Cavy Slave
Thanks I just recounted mine I could have swore they were 8 but they are 9! Sorry about that.

PiggyPalooza

Cavy Slave
Alright thanks a lot guys! I'm sure his cage will be great with all your advice! :)

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Grids are easy to find. Any place that sells organization supplies will usually have the grids. I've gotten coroplast at a local sign store. Surprisingly, when I asked them about it and told them what I was going to use it for, they said they had people getting it for that same purpose before. I was so glad to hear that. Maybe the word is getting out there.

PiggyPalooza

Cavy Slave
Alright everyone thank you sooo much. I'll look around a couple different places and hopefully it will b a great new experience!

krystalmoore86

Cavy Slave
Ya when I went to buy my coro the lady said, so you making a guinea pig cage? I asked how she knew she said people come in very frequently to buy coro for that purpose. I guess it's the cheapest place in my area.

PiggyPalooza

Cavy Slave
That's good to hear. Yea I have looked online at bed bath and beyond and they have grids that are 9 squares across. In all the reviews people used them for guinea pig or rabbit cages.

Caviekisses

Cavy Slave
I bought grids at Kmart...6 cube grids for 19.99. I got my original grids at Target, but you have to watch that half arent bigger grids. Coroplast I got thru my rescue place. But I called around and there are a few sign shops that sell it. You can make the fleece accessories.
Have fun!

Yes, I made the mistake of getting them at Target. I bought the Closetmaid brand. I didn't even pay attention until part of the cage was together, then I found out the other grids had a much larger spacing... It wasn't a huge deal though, because I could use them for the storage area underneath the cage (and floors inside the cage- it's for my ratties, the size won't matter because it will be covered anyway). I wish I had paid more attention so I could have gotten them all the same size. They're not good for the storage shelf area.

And, BB&B's are fine... I've gotten them there before. Except now, they only have black available. When I got mine there a few years ago they had a choice in colors. That's why I went to Target. They had them in white, which was what I wanted.

PiggyPalooza

Cavy Slave
Thanks Caviekisses. I looked at the wire storage cubes Target has online an they aren't the brand you bought. It was Whitmor I believe. and they were 9 across i think? They also come in different colors which is good. but I will keep looking.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
The Whitmore is a good breand. They are the 9 across.

AliKH

Cavy Slave
Not sure if you need more information or if this will help but try checking sign town USA for the coroplast & fred meyer for the grids if you cant find any. At lest in my home town (Bremerton) these are they only places that carry the coroplast & grids.

gatsbygirl

Cavy Slave
I got my grids at bed bath and beyond, if you sign up for their emails you get a 20% off coupon so you get a whole box for like $17 and then i watch my local ads and i got a $5 off coupon and bought another box and they are the right size and work well. For coroplast i called a sign shop i knew of. I should have called around but i was in a hurry to get it and just got it at the first place i could find. They sold me a whole white sheet for $2o which is a little pricey but not too bad. good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.