Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Artical in magazine

Christys GPS

Cavy Slave
I was reading my weekly star magazine, yeah I am addicted to them. But I was reading in there, that PETA is mad at Kelly Osbourne because she dyed her 13 week old english bulldog puppy, pink, the picutre is sad to see cause the pooch looks miserable. With all the publicity around celebritys pooches, like Paris Hilton, Jessica Simpson and Britney Spears, is this going to far? From thousands of dollars spent in pooch clothing, and leashes and carring case. But dying a poochs hair, that to me is a Shame, written in the artical from PETAS rep. Micheal McGraw, he states " It is very irresponsible to subject a 13 week old puppy to chemicals that most people arent willing to put on their heads" I am not the one to join in on "KITCHEN FORUMS" I stay away from this. But reading this To me I think that this is Animal Cruelity, I was just courious what people think of this, do you believe she is ok for doing this to her pooch or should she be punished by law for cruelity, and do you think there should be a law protecting things of this nature. (like dying hair)?

I hope this is a ok post, I have seen worse on here

Zeander

Cavy Slave
I'd like to know what the dye is made from. I've seen poodles on TV that have been dyed blue and pink. It couldn't really be as bad as human hair dye, could it? It seems like those people love their pets so much, I don't see them being mean to them.

Matt & Guins

Cavy Slave
I also read about this in a magazine yesterday about how she coloured Piglet (the dog) pink. Kelly had said that she used food dye - "the stuff used in food and cooking".

I do know some dog groomers use human hair colourants - such as "fudge" (well thats one brand here in Australia).

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
I think it is absolutely unessesary to do these things to a dog- like cropping tails and cutting ears. The oils in the dog's coat is probably disturbed, and I know when I use hair dye, I can barely stand the smell, imagine a dog's smell of over ten times greater than ours!

emithebug

Cavy Slave
I know that animal-safe fur/hair dye is made... I guess a good way to tell if it's good or bad is to see what it does to the animal's skin.

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
There are a few hair dyes that aren't that strong for people too. A good friend of mine cannot stand amonia, so she gets a hair dye that is water based (with something else, but I can't remember what) and actaully smells kinda sweet. The only problem is that it is expensive and doesn't work as good. I am not sure what they use on dogs and either way it shouldn't be done, but these people probably don't know better and they do probably love their pets. That said, this type of thing should be illegal.

Sara'spets
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

laura220

Cavy Slave
I know! it's awful when people dye their pets. Do Poodles want to be pink?

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I don't mind the expensive clothes, bages and leashes. I can get a less trendy but pet friendly version for my own kitties. They still have a purpose for the pet. My kitties zebra and leapord print collars look good and hold thier ID in the event that they escape (they are indoor cats but they are clever indoor cats and have escaped once. We also got them tags when we moved in case anything happened)

Leashes are nessesary for dogs (and some cats that like walks. Ukyou enjoyed them when she was a kitten and I lived in a small town) and dog clothes are good for some dogs in some climates (my mother's dog has short short fur so he needs a sweater and a coat for the fall and winter.)

The bags are just fancy carry bags. I kind like the look of the pink one at the Ferret Store but it's impractical with 2 cats and 3 pigs. I could only use it to transport one cat or 2 pigs. I'd only be able to use it for vet visits.

But dying has no purpose. It's just another way to the wealthy to look calous and uncarring. My animals barley sit still to be brushed. How would you get a dog to sit through a fur dye session. I barely want to sit through my hair dye sessions. I feel that this is where the wealthy stop doing trendy forms of mundane things (many dogs have leashes) and start abusing thier animals.

The wealthy could fix a whole lot more problems then just the animal overpopulation problem by donating money. They could probably fix all of our social problems if they donated a part of thier money. But then again, greed seems to be one of our worst social problems.

tinkerbell

Cavy Slave
I completly agree with you Sabriel a 110% It's totally un-nessusary (SP)

Love_my_piggies

Cavy Slave
I think it is just plain stupid. Leave the dog's color alone, geez, what's next?

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Actually the newest trend according to Cosmo is doggie plastic surgery. Face lifts, tummy tucks and the strangest off all: testicle implants for fixed doggies.

Strange strange people. Who knows what's going through thier heads.

Marlania

Cavy Slave
I'm no fan of this either. I have known someone, however, who used koolaid to dye their white dog's tail. I have no idea how its done, but I remember when I was a kid, other kids did this to their hair with koolaid. It never stayed in long and looked ugly. Anyway, I doubt most of these dog-dyers are using koolaid. Can't they spend their money on slightly more important things?

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave

Marlania

Cavy Slave
From the neutiles site:

"Neuticles allowing your pet to retain his natural look, self esteem and aids in the trauma associated with neutering. "

OH COME ON! Neither of my dogs' self esteem has been crushed because they no longer have testicles. They're not sitting around the house pondering their loss!

Marlania

Cavy Slave
Re: neuticles (again)

I've heard of this being done to show dogs, but I couldn't imagine doing this to my dog. I mean, they were removed for multiple reasons.

kat_0521

Cavy Slave
voodoojoint said:
These already exist and have been in use for years. Here is the original product's website...You will LOVE the name...

...ready?....

Neuticles https://www.neuticles.com/index1.html

OMG
I can't believe there's a product for this. The site says it's been around since '95 and there have been over 100,000 procedures successfully performed.
They didn't have any for small animals, such as GP's, but then again I can't imagine someone getting Neuticles for their neutered boar...
Technology today....

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
Oh come on! A dog does feel yes but it's not your average american where losing your testicales is a manly put-down... Paaalleeeezz!

Matt & Guins

Cavy Slave
In regards to colouring dogs, I really dont see any need. It is soley for aesthetic purposed of the OWNER and in my eyes, this isn't a good enough reason for doing it.

But, in saying this, My Ex. had her poodles (two of them) coloured before a number of times in the past (one purple, one pink), and I have to say, after its done the poodles really seem to love the attention they get from the public. Even though they (the dogs) themselves dont "see" it as such, people are always wanting to come up and pat them, and the dogs love being around people so much. We would always walk around with them (so embarrasing! lol) and people would come up all the time to give them a pat and cuddle.

But hey, they can still look "cute" and get attention with a bow in their hair instead :) right.

Matt

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
OH COME ON! Neither of my dogs' self esteem has been crushed because they no longer have testicles. They're not sitting around the house pondering their loss!

I have to admit if it is safe and it's done during the neutering procedure and it gets people who would otherwise not neuter to neuter then it can't be all that bad.

I would rather see a dog with fake "manly parts" then a dog with his real "many parts" father a whole bunch of litters.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.