Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Made/designed cage for my new rats

gatsbygirl

Cavy Slave
I had a guinea pig cage that i made into my new rat cage for 2 baby boy rats im picking up sat. I added an extra yellow self that was a animal play pen piece, i made an old pair of jeans into a cuddle bed, a long tunnel, a climby rope toy,a hanging pocket, and used scrap pieces in a bed under the first shelf. I also used and old sock with a tennis ball, and added in other recyles as toys. And of course a food dish and water bottle. I hope they enjoy and you all approve as i have attached pics.

gatsbygirl

Cavy Slave
My cats even got excited about what i was making so i made them a jean rope as well!LOL

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
The bar spacing will be too large for babies; they will escape. Bars need to be 1/2" in. or smaller. My favorite rat cage (safe for any age rat, easy to clean, and plenty of space for two ratties) is a Martin's R-695: (second to last cage on this page) (broken link removed)

Are you adopting or buying these rats? I hope that it is not too late and you can check out a shelter or rescue near you instead of supporting breeding.

That cage is not really adequate space or height for two rats. Have you done much research? Please check out these links:

(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

As for diet, please know that most pet store foods do not provide the nutrition your rats need. Harlan Teklad lab blocks are an easy way to ensure your rat is receiving all it needs. Mainely Rat Rescue sells it: (broken link removed)

Good luck!

Last edited:

gatsbygirl

Cavy Slave
I did do the research i typed this in the cage calc and it said it was fine for 2 rats and this is a cage until they get bigger. I measured spacing between bars its only a little over 1/2 inch. Im adopting from a lady who had an accidental litter on craigslist.

gatsbygirl

Cavy Slave
So i brought my two little boys home tonight and boy were they a hand full let me tell you. Sdpiggy you were so right they slipped right through the cage bars and got out so after chasing the little stinkers around i finally got them and decided to put them in a 20 gal tank with screen top until they get bigger. Which i hope is soon. They are very cute though and i went and got them all the things for their diet. I made a Sue bees diet as well as Wellness dog food called healthy weight rarsrule recommended, and for their fresh veggies they got a few peices of yam tonight and a little brocoli. They seem happy and i'm excited to get to know them. It seems as if one is a dumbo rat with big ears all white and a little black on his head and one is normal hooded black with spots, seems as if i got the best of both worlds. Thanks all for the advice.

krystalmoore86

Cavy Slave
Even as an adult rats and other small animals like mice or hamsters can fit throughout any spacing that is wider than the width of their head. They will likely always be able to squeeze out of that cage and get potentially harmed by chewing something or getting lost, etc. Also, Glass tanks are only appropriate for fish and reptiles, and turtles. Small animals like rats and guinea pigs can get VERY sick from the ammonia in their urine. This is really not a very good long term situation as these rats are not going to be fully grown anytime soon. You got some good advice earlier BEFORE getting your rats and did not take it, I hope you will take this advice now, for the sake of your rats health. I'm sure you truly do care about them and want them to be healthy so I'd definitely get them out of the glass tank ASAP.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
I had a Superpet cage for baby rats and hardware clothed it and ziptied it. It's a little time consuming but then you could keep them in the cage until you could get a bigger cage.

A tank is not a good idea.

gatsbygirl

Cavy Slave
I actually researched all this on the suggested rat sites and they said glass tanks are perfectly fine as long as they are well cleaned which they will be and adult rats spacing needs to be 1 inch width as adults theirs is 1/2inch right now. They are very different than guinea pigs and i wouldnt not take care of them un properly ever. All my info was from ratsrule, goosemoose and the rat report.

gatsbygirl

Cavy Slave
Glass aquariums are acceptable, but do not offer the same ventilation as a wire cage, so must be cleaned more often to avoid harmful ammonia buildup. A cage should offer a bare minimum of 2 cubic feet for one to two rats -- about the equivalent of a 20-gallon long aquarium, but more room is always better. I prefer 2 cubic feet per rat. I always recommend that people purchase or construct the largest cage they can.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Wire cages (such as rabbit and ferret cages) are by far preferred. They offer superior ventilation, plenty of climbing opportunities, and better flexibility for modification and "decorating." Space between wires should be between 1/2" x 1/2" (for babies) and 1" x 2" for adults.[/FONT]

This is taken right from ratsrule.com

Cage—A rat cage should be at least 12" by 24" but buy the largest cage you can. You can choose from wire cages or aquariums, or a combination of the two, stacked or joined with tubes.

This is taken from rat fan club

Clearly i do my research and i find it unsettling people are accusing me otherwise. I'm not a bad pet owner or in experienced im going to college to be a vet right now at the moment so i am very well versed in the animal care. Not to mention my whole life i grew up on a petting zoo and we always had small pets as well as large.​

krystalmoore86

Cavy Slave
According to that site your cage is half the size of the "preferred" size for two rats. This means the fact that it's glass and won't ventilate well is even more of an issue. I can clearly see you care for your rats and the time you put into their cage and toys, I would never imply otherwise. You are not a bad pet owner, nobody has said that. Those spacing reccomendations of 1/2"X1/2 inch means a square grid half inch, no half inch with long spaces, maybe that's why they were able to get out. When you post pictures of your pets cage and are looking for feedback there is no guarantee that everyone is going to like your choices. Nobody was rude so please don't be upset. Maybe if you have more of that nice yellow wire shelf you can zip tie that around the cage to make a barrier to keep them out an take it off when they get bigger.

krystalmoore86

Cavy Slave
Clearly i do my research and i find it unsettling people are accusing me otherwise.

A question "Have you done much research yet? Here's some useful links." Is not people accusing you of anything. Were all here because we love and care about our animals. You were given useful and correct information. Have a nice day.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Oh gatsbygirl, honey-- I was thanking everyone for the great advice and information that they were giving you ! Please don't feel bad....I think it is obvious that you care about your rats and it shows by all the thought you put into making all those cute practical toys you made for their cage.

The other posters were just trying to give you some wise guidance, and I believe they did. I know it is hard to take constructive criticism, but it's well worth it to listen in the long run, you know ?

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry but I can't see goosemoose saying it's OK to use a glass tank. They are always telling people to NOT use glass tanks. Even with the toppers they have now.

No one is trying to hurt your feelings we just want your rats to be safe. Hardware cloth the cage. That way they will get enough air flow.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.