Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Getting ready to build - Do our plans look okay so far?

sandcv

Cavy Slave
We are planning on building a cage this weekend for our 3 female pigs. It will be at least 2x5, hopefully 2x6 if we can make enough space. I ordered 2 sets of these grids: Amazon.com: Whitmor 6071-1723 4 Storage Cubes, White: Home & Garden

I also ordered some extra connectors. I bought an 8'x4' sheet of Coroplast today, and we will pick up some zip ties. Anything I am forgetting?? I am so excited to give our piggies some running around room!

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
Make sure you have some pliers.
Those zip ties can do a number on your fingers.

Good luck!

sandcv

Cavy Slave
Almost done! Thanks for the tip about the pliers. They definitely came in handy! We just need to get a lid tomorrow for kitty-proofing and the cage will be finished and ready for the guinea pigs to move in! Here's what it looks like so far:

Cage-1.jpg

mickey1007

Cavy Slave
Your cage looks wonderful! Nice and big!!

PooTrishy

Cavy Slave
That looks great! Your pigs are going to LOVE it!

GPigsRSweet

Cavy Slave
Fantastic! It looks great!

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
Nice size and I love the red coroplast!

lissie

Cavy Slave
Wow. I love it! Can't wait to see more pics.

sandcv

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all your nice replies! We are getting ready to finish it up. I will post pics of the finished product later tonight. :)

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
WOW, that looks wonderful ! I too, can't wait to see it's completion !

sandcv

Cavy Slave
Okay, construction is complete! We made a lid from wire shelving. We bought two 8 foot sections at Home Depot and asked them to trim it to the length we needed (87"). The section of lid in the back is immobile; the front section flips up. I also found some little hanging racks at Home Depot that I thought might work well for hay racks - in the pic below, you can see one hanging on each end of the cage. Now, I'm going to start prepping the cage for the guinea pigs' big move!

Cage2.jpg

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
That looks FANTASTIC ! On the other thread that you posted about "burrowing under fleece" I left a couple pics and suggestions, so if you plan on ordering more fleece, before you do, check out it out, and see if that would work for you.

I look forward to seeing your fully completed cage with the fleece and tunnels and hideys and such !

sandcv

Cavy Slave
I added bedding and their hidey houses, plus hay and a water bottle. Then I put the girls in, and they went NUTS! All three of them were running crazy laps around the cage and "popcorning"! This is the first time I've ever seen them do that, so that was very exciting! I think they love it! Now I am just trying to figure out where to put food dishes so they won't be sent flying. See pics below.

Cage3.jpg

Lid closed

Cage4.jpg

Lid open. I need to get at least one more water bottle, and start thinking about what toys I can get for them. In their old cage they didn't have room for anything more, but now we can get creative!

Sparkles.jpg

Sparkles peeking at me.

sandcv

Cavy Slave
That looks FANTASTIC ! On the other thread that you posted about "burrowing under fleece" I left a couple pics and suggestions, so if you plan on ordering more fleece, before you do, check out it out, and see if that would work for you.

I look forward to seeing your fully completed cage with the fleece and tunnels and hideys and such !

Thank you for the compliment! You must be thinking of someone else in another thread - I have no plans to use fleece at this time. I definitely can't wait to start adding some new hideys, tunnels, toys, etc though!

krystalmoore86

Cavy Slave
Looks great congrats on the new home for your piggies!

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the compliment! You must be thinking of someone else in another thread - I have no plans to use fleece at this time. I definitely can't wait to start adding some new hideys, tunnels, toys, etc though!

OOops ! Yes, that was someone else asking about fleece burrowing, I am so sorry ! Ugh. However, your cage looks really awesome !!

P.S. May I let you know something though? That edible log you have in their cage...it is really not good for them, because it is made mostly of high sugars.

P.S.S For tunnels, there are tons of ideas on this site ! I make a lot of their tunnels and such out of poster board or cardboard which is safe for them to chew on. PVC pipes, flexible wood sticks ( bend to make an arc shape, like a bridge) bent grids covered in fleece are some of them !

C. Cole-Chakotay

Cavy Slave
Your cage looks very nice and roomy. I just know your girls will enjoy it.

sandcv

Cavy Slave
The girls seem to be loving their new cage. They are so active in there! I never realized how much running around and playing they would do if they had more room. It is quite amusing to watch them.

We were pretty disappointed today though at how stinky the cage seemed to get just overnight. The new cage is in a spare bedroom, and when we opened the door and went in this morning the odor was quite strong. Even leaving the window open all day didn't help much. Tonight we removed all the Carefresh and filled it with aspen bedding instead, to see if that makes a difference. We also pushed the two plastic houses a little closer to the ends to try to create two kitchen areas; if I have to I could replace the bedding on the ends several times per week, if that will control the odor. Does anyone have any other suggestions for me on odor control?

lissie

Cavy Slave
What bedding were you using before?
Try leaving the window open or invest in an air purifier.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
That cage looks great!! Love the color.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.