Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Carefresh or Aspen - Bedding changes

sandcv

Cavy Slave
For those of you who have a large cage with carefresh or aspen bedding: Have any of you tried using a shopvac to remove soiled bedding? (Obviously not with pigs inside the cage!) We are planning on building a large C&C cage this weekend, and as I was changing the carefresh tonight in our current smaller cage I started thinking about how tedious bedding changes might become in a larger cage. I'm just trying to think of ways to speed up the cleaning process. Thanks for your thoughts!

(I've noticed that many here use fleece. I tried fleece years ago when I had pet rats, and I was not satisfied with it. I felt that odor control was unsatisfactory unless I changed it daily, and I don't plan on doing that.)

KatieT

Cavy Slave
I have never tried a shop vac, I'm thinking dumping it out would not be fun! Haha. I just use a huge dustpan and scoop it all into a big black garbage bag, then use a small vacuum with a nozzle to get the rest of the dust and stuff out. Only takes maybe 5 minutes to scoop and vacuum, then I'm ready to scrub with vinegar! (I have a 2x5 with Aspen shavings.) It's always worth a try though!

sandcv

Cavy Slave
We tried it tonight, and it worked really well! We had our new 2x6 cage emptied of Carefresh in no time flat. We made sure to use a shopvac with a pretty wide hose so it wouldn't get clogged up.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
I used a dust pan when I had bedding in the cage. I hated aspen and carefresh in that large an area was expensive.

Caviekisses

Cavy Slave
I was thinking about doing this, do you need a special filter... Like a HEPA filter?

sandcv

Cavy Slave
I honestly don't know about the filter - I know there is a filter in there, but my husband is the owner of the shopvac so I don't know if he put a special one in there or not! I just know it seemed to work well. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.