Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Thinking about adopting

gatsbygirl

Cavy Slave
I have 3 guinea pigs and 2 cats at the moment that i spoil ohhh sooo muchlol They are deffinatly enough to hold my attention, i have just been thinking about adopting rats. I had a pair when i was younger and have been doing lots of research on them. I have an appropriate cage already and have almost all the essentials i would need i even found a few babies on craigslist that were an accidental litter i may adopt. Really my main question is the diet. Ive read all different things to feed them. I was thinking of doing the senoir dog food and somewhat of a Sue Bees diet. As well as a small amount of veggies everyday. So my question is i will be most likely be getting a set of baby males. What is the best diet for their gender and age. Also i would love to know how other people feel as having rats as pets.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
As babies they should have more protein and calcium. You can do the Suebee's diet along with some chicken, tuna or egg with the shell. I also gave mine some vanilla Ensure and baby cereal. Or you can try canned baby food. Just make sure you have the same sex.lol Oh, they also like chicken with the bones. They love that.

Rats make wonderful pet, especially babies.

gatsbygirl

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much for your input. Now that i'm thinking about it I also read about their many health conditions. I was wondering the best way to prevent all the issues they seem to get and prolong their life span. I have heard how they don't always live long. Which is so sad:sad: I will also deffinatly make sure they are both male as i do not want to be responsible for any more rat babies.

gatsbygirl

Cavy Slave
Does anyone else have any info that would help me in the care of my new rats? I believe ill be getting them later this week and i want to make sure i do everything right. I have yet another question what are all the things they need in their cage?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.