Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast

G

garlicbred

Coroplast

I spent last evening building a cage to house 4 piggies, 2 girls and 2 boys. I used 3x6 grids and then split this in half (one of the males is a baby and is not neutered yet) to create 2 3x3 grid cages. Then I made an upper level on each cage with the dimensions being 1x3. It took a while and my daughter and I were both very happy with the result. My plan was to pick up the coroplast today and finish the cage. The problem is this: The dimensions of the bottom floor of the 2 cages are 42" x 42" each. When I add the extra 12 inches for the sides, it brings me to 54" x 54". I can only get the coroplast in sheets of 4' x 8' which translastes in inches to 48" x 96".

Has anyone else run into this problem? I really don't want to make the cages smaller and I am limited in space to make it longer. Any suggestions?

C

CryptoBrian

Re: Coroplast

The place where I purchased by coroplast (harborsales) does sell 5x10 sheets, which would be large enough for you. So, you might want to check your local sources to see if they might be able to get this size for you.

That said, I have succesfully used a glue gun to adhere side pieces to a floor piece for filling an upper level on my cage. I simply cut the side piece about 7 inches wide, scored it 1 inch in, and then glued the resulting 1 inch flap to the underside of the floor. This works reasonably well.

Good luck!

Brian

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave

Personally, I don't recommend going with cages wider than 2 grids (2 and 1/2 grids, tops). You won't be able to catch the pigs and it's a much harder reach to clean.

C

CryptoBrian

I find that the upper deck also makes cleaning a little more of a stretch. I have a 2x4 with a 2x2 upper and reaching to the rear corners under the deck can be difficult.

However, provided the cage is positioned where all sides can be reached, I wouldn't find a 3x difficult at all.

Attachments

IMG_1071.jpg IMG_0259.jpg

2steps

my cage is 4x5 cubes and the whole front opens like a door. I clean it during the pigs floor time using an old hoover, then empty it into the bin. I do the same for the second and third levels (2x4 cubes)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.