Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi, New from Hawaii! Play dates?

Kookookchoo

Cavy Slave
Hi I'm Kels and I have a guinea pig named Makkurokurosuke (Makkuro for short). I'm actually a college student away in Chicago right now, but I'm from Honolulu, HI and that's where my piggie is.

Makkuro's about 3 now, and I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me sooner, but I thought it'd be nice if she could have a play date with someone since she's all alone. So if anyone else is from Hawaii and you're interested, please leave a message here or PM me! It wouldn't be right away since I don't return home until mid May.

Thanks!
:)

Kookookchoo

Cavy Slave
DSC05709copy.jpg

Here's a pic of Makkuro lounging in the yard on a nice day! (Although, this was back when the grass was super long. XD )

I think she's the sweetest guinea I've had. :) She loves getting her chinny-chin-chin scratched. Haha!

(Sorry, would have added this to the initial post, but I don't know how to edit it. D: )

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
She is very pretty. Welcome to the site.

Keekers

Cavy Slave
If you're not going to keep them together forever, I wouldn't do it. Every time you do a play date they would just try to find out who's dominant, and it wouldn't be fun for them, just a bunch of squabbling.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
It's probably not a good idea. You don't know what illnesses another pig is carrying. The first bit of time would be establishing dominance anyway. I would suggest adopting another female pig to keep your pig company rather than presenting and taking away another pig. It can be confusing and stressful for the pig.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Ran past the 10 minute edit limit but I had another thought - the reasons a play date isn't a good idea are the same reasons quarantine is done. If it was okay to expose pigs to potential illnesses from another pig, we wouldn't bother with quarantine. Of course, we know that quarantine is an important step before introducing our pigs.

Kookookchoo

Cavy Slave
Ohh ok, that's true. Yeah, before this I had a group (Mom and 2 sisters), so I've never dealt with a play date before. I'd heard of them and thought it might be nice, but thanks for bringing up these issues!

Thanks very much, Deb's4pigs! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.