Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

UTI issues - peeing blood

Ashley3468

Cavy Slave
hi
I have owned guinea pigs for a very long time and today when i was cleaning my two guineapigs cage I realized there was blood, i started freaking out. They are both boys and the one that is peeing blood is 3 and a half years old when i read your past experiences i felt better because i found out that it is possible to cure him. I am really worried and was wondering if your guinea pig survied or if she ended up passing away from the infection? i would really appreciate some advice i need some help i have never had this happen before :(

pinky

Cavy Slave
Re: intermittment blood despite antibiotics

The other thing I'd consider is your water source. My vet said that water with heavy mineral content can lead to stones. Bottled water often contains added minerals for taste so stay away from any that list added minerals on the label. We have a private well so my guinea pigs never drink tap water.

Ashley3468

Cavy Slave

ok thanks! my guinea pig does not drink bottled water i take the water straight from the tap. I made an appointment for him for saturday morning because everything is closed tomorrow :( do you think he will make it to saturday and do you know if it can be cured after he has started to pee blood? or how long the infection takes to kill them ?

Ashley3468

Cavy Slave

ok thanks! my guinea pig does not drink bottled water i take the water straight from the tap. I made an appointment for him for saturday morning because everything is closed tomorrow :( do you think he will make it to saturday and do you know if it can be cured after he has started to pee blood? or how long the infection takes to kill them ?

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Peeing blood is a possible stone, sludge, or UTI. He needs veterinary attention asap - if Saturday is the soonest you can get him in, do so. He needs a urinalysis, possibly a culture and xray, and possibly antibiotics.

Infections aren't fatal unless or until they are left untreated for an extensive period of time, and usually it isn't the infection that causes death but rather the accompanying pain and lack of appetite that comes when an infection has been allowed to go on for too long.

Just get the pig to the vet absolutely as soon as possible and please try to make sure your vet is cavy savvy.

Ashley3468

Cavy Slave
ok thank you so much! i will bring him to the vet asap. but he hasnt lost his appetite so thats a good thing, and he still drinks his water but he drinks a lot more often than before. i really hope everything works out ok! and do you know if the infection is contagious because i have two boys that share the same cage and i wouldnt want the other one to get the infection as well :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.