Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mouth slimy mouth sores on bottom lip?

brittney

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone.
I walked by my cage last night before i went to bed and I looked at my one guinea pig. He is a short haired guinea pig and is black and white.
He has a pink mouth.
The weird thing is, is that when i walked by, I saw he had this big white looking thing on his bottom left on his right side. I saw him this morning and afternoon and there was nothing like this so i am rather confused because at first i thought it was him drooling on his fleece blanket and it dried on his lip. however i tried to get it off with one of his sticks and it wouldn't come off. he didn't seem to be in pain. he just chewed on it like he normally does :p
I was just trying to get an idea because I have an exam tomorrow and cannot take the poor guy to the vet if it is something serious. I can't exactly get a photo now because my camera is dead.
It is rather huge. it literally takes up his whole mouth and is a whitish yellow.
although i looked on the guinealynx site and it doesn't look like that. and is only on the bottom lip, not the top. it looks crusty, but it is slimy.
lately he has been very fiesty. he has been chewing up his wood cabin, wood sticks he usually never chews, and just nipped me (he usually never bites. this was just a nibble that meant put me down, which is not normal).

if anyone could give me an idea just so i know what i might be looking at and see if i should really not be studying for my exam and seeing some medical help immediately.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Hello ! I know you said your camera is dead ( do you mean it just needs to be charged or is it broken ?) but without a picture, it is hard to hazard a guess or give any thoughtful advice, you know ?

Have you been feeding him too many fruits lately, like oranges, grapes, tomatoes that are very acidic and can give piggie mouth sores ?

Did you research possible chelitis on guinea lynx ? Here is the link below for you.
https://www.guinealynx.info/cheilitis.html

Or do you think it could be an abscess from a poke of stem from coarse hay ?

I don't know you, but I just spent a lot of time looking and researching on guinea lynx, to try to educate myself on this for you. There are a lot of possibilities, and I know you are really busy with exams and so on with school, but unless you can post up a clear close up picture of his lip, it is nearly impossible for any of us to guide you in the right direction or even give you an educated guess, you know ?

brittney

Cavy Slave
yeah i do have a photo, but it's on my phone. I'm going to get the cable for it and put it up tonight
and yeah he has been eating a lot of fruits lately. my mom loves to feed them the food that she cuts up and my brothers wont eat it :p
as soon as i get the cable, i will put it up.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
If you won't take him to the vet you should stop the fruit and read up on the link you were given. I hope he gets better.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Ok...well fruits should only be given once at the most twice a week and in small portions. Fruits should be thought only as "treats" o.k. ? The reason for that is because they are high in sugars and really aren't that good for them, plus if you give highly acidic ones like oranges they can cause mouth sores. I am not saying that is what is on your piggie's lip though, for like I said above, it could be any number of things.

Here is Ly&pigs daily sample menu chart here below that you can just "click" on !
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/diet-nutrition/24770-sample-veggie-menus.html

And make sure that your piggie has unlimited amounts of quality fresh hay and quality plain pellets. There are many threads and posts on here, on which brands are the best that you can check out ! Good luck !

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
That's what happens when you post half asleep. I meant until you know whether the fruit is causing it or not, stop the fruit. Or anything acidic.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Let me summarize--it's a whitish yellow color, stuck to his lower lip, covering it. Looks crusty but is actually slimy (but is that because of his saliva, since it's on his lip?). Appeared rather quickly, since it wasn't there in the morning or afternoon.

Could it be "boar glue" (ejaculate)? It dries somewhat hard and is tough to get off of hair or skin.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
sorry about that, this double post. Darnit !

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
I had thought of that too, like foggycreekcavy mentioned...that it could be boar glue ! Sure would help if we had a close up picture of the dear lad ! However, does boar glue get crusty though ?

brittney

Cavy Slave
Yeah i just couldn't go to the vet today. i was planning on going tomorrow.
although, i came to see him this morning, and whatever it was was gone.
When i get my usb cable tomorrow i will post it to show whatever it is.
I will be monitoring him closely and cut down for sure on his fruits :)

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
I'm glad it's gone. Maybe it was just boar glue.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.