PDA

View Full Version : New piggy owner from California :D

Sarien
04-19-11, 11:08 pm
Hello everyone!
My name is Sarien and ever since I can remember, I've had animals in life. I've had a Golden Retriever, a Labrador, two cats, three hamsters, many fish and a frog.
Well, after a three years of being without any critters to love, I couldn't take it anymore.

Two weeks ago I became a new piggie owner. After five months of lurking on here and doing research and a few weeks of preparation, I decided I was ready for my first piggies. I drove with my sister to a nearby rescue shelter, set on adopting a mother and daughter pair.

Well, when I got there and asked, they'd already been adopted. I decided to look at their other guinea pigs and fell in love with a trio. They were the only ones who ran up to us in their cages.

Since I'd sent in an adoption form the week before, I didn't have to worry about that. After a short interview and some playtime with the piggies, I was able to adopt my new girls.

After some debate, we decided on naming them Butters, Coco, and Pia. They are about 3 years old and a joy to have around. Pia is still shy and hides in her pigloo, but the other two are very curious and always wander over when I stop by to say hi.

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb416/SarienAlexander/DSCN1603-1-1.jpg

lissie
04-19-11, 11:22 pm
Welcome to the site! Your piggies are adorable! And I love your fleece.

Deb's4Pigs
04-20-11, 03:48 am
Welcome!! Your piggies are very cute. I have a Butters too.

Deb's4Pigs
04-20-11, 03:48 am
Welcome!! Your piggies are very cute. I have a Butters too.

Where did you get them from?

kathlaaron
04-20-11, 05:23 am
Welcome to the forum ! :)

Your piggies are beautiful ! This is a wonderful site to explore and learn all about the ins and outs of how to properly care for your piggie. I love your fleece too, and if you look on my personal albums page, you will see a pattern very similar to yours in the photo you presented ! Kudo's to you for researching beforehand, and adopting your girls, and giving them a lovely forever home !

Have you had a chance to check out the diet/nutrition section ? Here is an awesome link that Ly&pigs made for us below. The first link is her nutrition chart, the second link is her daily sample diet menu, which I have printed out and is up on my fridge !

http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/diet-nutrition/22156-read-me-guinea-pig-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html

http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/diet-nutrition/24770-sample-veggie-menus.html

Good luck and again WELCOME !! :D

gatsbygirl
04-20-11, 07:32 am
Welcome! Great job on adopting i always love to hear stories about that. I adopted all three of mine as well and its funny 2 of mine look just like your bottom 2 pictured. :)

gatsbygirl
04-20-11, 07:38 am
Welcome! Great job on adopting i always love to hear stories about that. I adopted all three of mine as well and its funny 2 of mine look just like your bottom 2 pictured. :)

Kimberly713
04-20-11, 07:46 am
Welcome to the forum! :) Awh they are so precious! I love seeing happy trios, probably only because I wasn't able to get three to bond myself. :P Your fleece looks super cute too!

GotPigs?
04-20-11, 07:50 am
Congrats on your new piggies, they are so cute!

MeggiePeggyMom
04-20-11, 09:00 am
Your piggies are so sweet! And your fleece looks so cheerful, I really like it!

Sarien
04-20-11, 11:26 am
Thank you everyone!

I adopted them from the Bunny Bunch S.P.C.R. in Montclaire. I'll be taking them back this weekend to get their nails clipped and to pick up some supplies. It's a great place.

They seem to love their fleece very much. I had a plain purple one when they first came, but I switched it out to wash when I was cleaning their cage. When I put them in with the new fleece, I was pleasantly surprised to see them popcorn. I think a combination of a bigger cage, fresh veggies and new fleece made them happy. :tearsofjo

Thank you kathlaaron. I stopped by your albums page and my fleece is very similar to yours. I loved the pattern on this one, so I went for it.
I have the nutrition chart printed and up hanging on my fridge. I appreciate the second link. It will help me vary their veggies at feeding time. :silly:

rabbitsncavyluv
04-21-11, 10:50 am
How cute. Thanks for adopting.