Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty 1 week old babies in trouble?

Iamintrouble

Cavy Slave
(((I have a vet appointment tomorrow at 1:20)))

My guinea pig had babies 6 days ago. A few days after they were born, 2 out of the 3 had eyes that were cloudy. Yesterday morning the one with the cloudiest eyes had one eye that was almost shut. I went online and researched, and took a syringe and washed it with boiled and cooled water. This morning (after doing this 2x yesterday and once this morning) they are remarkably better. 2 out of the 3 however still have a cloudy look to the eye but much improved.

I was reading that they can be irritated by hair, and these pigs are different looking! Short, very coarse, CURLY hair.

I am hoping this can be fixed, and maybe an antibiotic drop is all they need!

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Jodie

Cavy Slave
I sent you a message to your inbox.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Sounds like the babies need to see a veterinarian. Do you have a cavy knowledgeable vet?

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I'm curious to know how the vet visit went. It would have been ideal to have gotten them in as soon as you noticed a problem rather than trying a home remedy and waiting several days, but hopefully you were able to find an experienced vet who can provide you some sound advice and safe treatment. Please let us know when you can.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Sounds like they have entropion. They may need surgery to fix it, depending how bad it is.

Iamintrouble

Cavy Slave
They are fine - they had some irritation to their eyes at birth from the mother's hair and their own hair. They have tight, coarse, curly hair that kind of turns inward and irritates their eyes. I could see that before I went and had to keep wiping it out. He gave me an eye drop with an antibiotic to help but he did not see any abrasions to worry about. 2 out of the 3 are completely better, and the last it is almost all the way gone. I am putting a pic on my profile of one, they are 1 week old.
Thanks!

Last edited:

Jodie

Cavy Slave
Glad that the Vet gave you the same advice as I did in your inbox. It's always the best to take to a vet as I said in my inbox message, but am relieved that all is well and on the mend. All my piggies had the same problem and were treated the same as yours are being treated with the eye drops.

Iamintrouble

Cavy Slave
Glad that the Vet gave you the same advice as I did in your inbox. It's always the best to take to a vet as I said in my inbox message, but am relieved that all is well and on the mend. All my piggies had the same problem and were treated the same as yours are being treated with the eye drops.

Yes, it seems to be really common! Thanks for your help! He said that because they are born with eyes already open they are at risk for injury. They are on the mend.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
I am glad to hear they are better.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.