Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Devastating Diagnosis

mandi_k

Cavy Slave
After saving Mr. Beets from the horrible conditions at my work. I thought with meds and love he would be fine. I took him to a well respected vet in my area and the vet diagnosed Mr. Beets with heart disease and/or lung disease. He is only 5-6 months and I don't understand how he can be so sick. Please help I love him very much and I'm willing to try anything to help him.

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
What are Mr. Beet's symptoms? Heart disease is a tough diagnosis... you do NOT make that on a whim. And lung disease, I've never heard of in guinea pigs.

mandi_k

Cavy Slave
He has heavy abnormal breathing. The vet took one film of him. The vet said it didn't look good, but the vet gave him SMZ/TMP Suspension. The vet said if the medicine doesn't work than there is nothing else to be done. Mr. Beets is my first guinea pig, so I'm just learning. I don't know what is normal.

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
Sorry for the double post, see below please!

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
When you say abnormal breathing, can you describe it? Is it shallow breaths? A hooting noise or other noise? Is he wheezing? Is there anything else about him that you've noticed seems off? Please read this and check him: https://www.guinealynx.info/normal.html Also did he give you more of the SMZ to give him? SMZ is an antibiotic that needs to be given twice daily for 14 days.

mandi_k

Cavy Slave
He is wheezing and every breath he take is visible. He is not as peppy and breathes different than my other pig. He is now getting the SMZ twice a day and there is enough for 14 days. I just don't know how to tell if the SMZ is helping or if I should take him back to the vet.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Is this an exotics vet, or just a regular dog and cat vet? Exotics vets can be hard to find, but most vets don't really know anything about guinea pigs. They're not taught about small animals in veterinary school, except for an introduction, so you need to find an exotics vet to see him.

If you'll post your location, someone may be able to help you. You might also post your pig's symptoms over on Guinea Lynx, and see if someone there is able to help you.

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
He most likely has an Upper Respiratory Infection, if he is wheezing. Your vet does not sound like a cavy savvy vet. May I ask, what country/state you are from?
The SMZ should help him, but it will also help to increase his vitamin C intake. Feed him good, fresh veggies like lettuce, bell pepper and herbs. There are feeding and nutrition charts right here on the forum you can check out.

mandi_k

Cavy Slave
The vet is an exotics vet, but I think he see mostly rabbits and reptiles. I will try Guinea Lynx thank you. I live in San Luis Obispo, California. I'm will to drive, but I worry about taking him to far (he doesn't like car rides). I have been feeding the recommended vegs for the list. Twice a day I give him red and green butter head lettuce, romaine, bell peppers and zucchini. I know bell peppers have vitamin C, should I be giving him anything else?

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
If he has heart issues that can be easily diagnosed by xray which you said you had. 6 months is very young as guinea pigs live about 7-9 years now with better care. That would be like a 12 year old human being diagnosed. There are TONS of heart stories on Guinealynx and they might be able to look at the xrays if you can get a digital copy. Heart pigs have specific symptoms and it doesnt sound like he has those symptoms. Hooting, frequent URIs, tired etc... The symptoms you are talking about sound like a URI which is very common. Be sure to give the antibiotics even if he is feeling better. You also want to start him on extra vit C (you can split a human vit c tab or get Oxbow vit C tabs...) also probiotic acidopholus tabs should be given to help prevent antibiotic diareah. Cut the tab into 1/2 or 1/3rd (since he is so small) crush it and mix it with a tiny few drops of apple juice and suck it up with a syringe and feed it to him inbetween the antibiotics (If you give the ABs every 12 hours then do the probiotic tabs 6 hours before and after.) Because the ABs are going to kill all the bacteria and we all need bacteria in our stomaches for digestion and when those die off from the ABs we get stomach issues and diareah...

Definately check out guinealynx for more health info...

mandi_k

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the additional help. The vet also said he was very young but the vet felt poor breeding and bad living condition maybe have attributed to the problem. If he is not better by the time he is done with the medication I'm looking for a new vet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.