Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Help With Expanding

tiggertoo

Cavy Slave
As I have seen repeatedly on this forum, once you build a C & C cage, you want to build a bigger one!

I would like to add a 2 x 1 hay box, or kitchen area, and make the cage 2 x 5, but will I need to scrap out all the fleece bedding I made for the 2 x 4 cage? Can they be layered?

Do I need to cut a whole new sheet of coroplast or is there a better (read cheaper) way? I have leftovers.

How do you guys do it? How do you expand your cages? I really need help. Thanks!

KateandOscar

Cavy Slave
Well you could make a seperate coroplast box thats one by two then add that on to the end, keeping the rest of the cage as is, with the same fleece on that side and you can just use shavings for the hay/litter box.

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
You could tape the new coroplast to the old-that's how mine came (I bought the C&C cage used) and it's held together just fine.

You could also sew the old fleece to a new piece to fit the new cage. I suppose you could layer 2 separate fleeces together but I'd worry about them burrowing under the one layer.

The one thing I decided I didn't like about the loft area was that the ramp has to be able to be washed easily and I didn't have a good solution for that. They kept peeing/pooping on it so wood was not an option because it soaked up the pee.

I just took my hay loft down and I'm using my old litter box I had used in another cage. I'm liking it better because it's easier to clean and the hay doesn't get tossed on the floor as easily like with the loft-despite the coroplast sides going up 9 inches!

Good luck!

CavyCrazyLady

Cavy Slave
I would build a seperate box of coro and just cut a small opening for them to get through. I used a fiddle stick bridge on mine and it keeps the hay and bedding from getting kicked out onto my fleece very well.

tiggertoo

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for the great suggestions!

CrazyCavyLady, can you post a bigger picture of your setup?

RubyRain, I gave myself a forehead smack when I read your post! Of course!

KateandOscar, yes, I think adding a box is the way to go.

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
Mine is a loft set up for their kitchen with like a sky walk type upper deck leading to it. And the other cage is one floor and has the box set in the cage. I put two pics so you can see what I mean. And the way I did my ramp it doesn't really take up any running space from them either.

(Oh by the way, I know the 2x3 cage is basically a 2x2, but Ginger is being rehomed hopefully this weekend and will be in a new 2x5. It was a loft setup before but the ramp was in the way of everything. Just clearing that up in case anyone wondered.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.