Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Velcro on the Coroplast & vacuuming?

KatieT

Cavy Slave
Hello all!!
Well, I am going to switch back to fleece again. I honestly think I am just getting bored with the bedding and feel the need to switch between the two. (Tired of sweeping poos everyday & doing pig laundry, so I switch back to Aspen and grow tired of vacuuming the floor, back to fleece again! There are drawbacks to every option!)

Anyway, to my question...I am curious if anyone has tried putting velcro on the coroplast (little strips on the bottom along the walls, if you know what I mean. Or even on the sides close to the bottom.) I am thinking the fleece would stick to it, even if it is not a strong hold, I just need it to hold enough so the pigs don't want to get under it. They will be fine as long as there isn't an opportunity to burrow. lol

My concern is the velcro getting too dirty to clean. I guess if I'm switching between fleece and Aspen it won't matter because the wood will get in it anyway. I don't know...any suggestions are appreciated!

Also, I am wondering how some of you vacuum when you spot clean instead of using a broom and dustpan. Every time I try to vacuum the fleece, usually with a dustbuster, I get none of the poo/hay and all of the fleece. :grumpy: What do yall use? Dustbuster? Nozzle from a large vacuum? Let me know!

Thank you in advance for your always helpful responses, and I'm doing a total cage re-design tomorrow, so wish me luck!! :crazy:

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Hello KatieT !

I have used velcro on my hayloft, just a bit, and it didn't work for me. I didn't try it on my bottom level though. I looked at your two different cage set ups, and noticed on the fleece cage that you tucked a good amount up and over your coroplast sides ( that is what I do too) and was wondering, why would you want to use velcro ? I am not suggesting that you not try using it but...I really don't think it would work well enough, to keep them from burrowing under to the coroplast. And it would take an awful lot of velcro to do it, too.

I use velcro on the bottom inside of the homemade cardboard tunnels I make my girls, to keep the strip of fleece I put in there stable, and they frequently bunch it up somehow, anyways. Although, if I make a triangular cardboard tunnel, where it is flat on the bottom, and use velcro to make the fleece adhere to the bottom, it does stay put decently enough.

No matter what kind of bedding one chooses for their cage, it is a lot of work. I find using one layer of anti-pill fleece with 2 layers of u-haul furniture pads is the best combination yet. The u-haul furniture pads are cheap ( $7.95 per 68"x85" blanket) thin, and have excellent absorbency with little to no smell. I only need to change my cage every 7-9 days ! I also use scraps of each, to put in high potty areas, like underneath hideys and in corners.

I use "whatever means" to clean up the poops ! I have not found out which is the better easiest method to use yet though. I do it all. Sometimes I sweep them up, sometimes I use the dirtdevil hand vac, sometimes the hose from our regular vacuum, sometimes paper towel tubes, and honestly sometimes I use my hands !

KatieT

Cavy Slave
Thanks for such a great response! Yes, I used to tuck the fleece over the coro sides, but now I am going to raise the height of the coroplast sides so that when/if I do switch back to aspen, it won't be kicked out as easily. That would make it too high for me to tuck the fleece over. I have heard of people using bricks to keep the fleece down, but I really don't think that will look good. I can just see my girls underneath the fleece on day 1. lol.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
My 6x2 cage has 6 inch sides on one length and 12 inch sides on the back length, ( along the wall) and I buy 3 yards of fleece to cover the sides. If you would like to see what I mean you could check out my albums page !

I know that onetwo uses flat tiles ( which would be nice and cool in the summer for them to lay on) to hold the fleece down..

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.