Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Infection Swollen eye lids and sneezing

yurigiri

Cavy Slave
I bought 2 gpigs last monday from a pet store, Babayo and Bunny.

They are fine. I do notice Babayo sneeze a little. I've read up some say it could be how us humans would sneeze once in a while.

Last saturday. I noticed that he right eye is cloudy and has crust on it. And he sneezes too. I begin to worry.
I took both of them to the vet the next day.

The vet says Bunny is fine and she prescribe 3 medicine for Babayo.
One for the swollen lids, anti-biotics for the infection and eye drops. She also told me to separate the two gpigs.

I know it has been 3 days after the vet visit. Babayo don't seems to be getting better. He is still drinking, eating, pooping lots. But he still sneezes and his eye is still the same.

Am i panicking? I heard most gpigs couldn't survive respiratory infections.
I hope the anti-biotic is working though :(

jayceestar27

Cavy Slave
There is always a possibility the meds won't work but when my pigs had URI it took them a while to recover, they didn't look much better within a few days. It took about a week to start looking better. I'd say don't worry but as a mommy to my pigs I know its kind of impossible not to. They should get better in a while, They are just fragile little creature and it will take some time. Best of luck and Spoil those piggys to help them feel better.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Is your vet an exotics cavvy savvy one ? When you took your piggie in, did your vet flush out the eyes at all ? Check out this link for medical accurate information below:

https://www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html#discharge

Even really good exotics vets can mis-diagnose a piggie, so it's important that we as owners, take some responsibility and educate "ourselves" on all things medically related as best we can, you know ?

partygirlha

Cavy Slave
I say call the vet and ask how long it will be before you notice a difference... both my personal human doc and my vet generally tell me "you/he should startt o feel better in X#of days, if not call me"

My hamster had an eye infection and my vet said it would take a full 10 days for her to look better. in fact at day 10 she looked "better" than before, but not 100 better. I let her go another 2 days and she was looking like her old self.... other times 2 days on meds and my pets look and act better. Like pople each illness is different only the doc knows what you should expect.

yurigiri

Cavy Slave
I noticed that his sneezing is slightly better. He sneezes are softer than before. I'm so happy for his improvement.
Haha, thank you. I will wait for his full recovery then. (yes it's difficult not to worry)

yurigiri

Cavy Slave
Is your vet an exotics cavvy savvy one ? When you took your piggie in, did your vet flush out the eyes at all ? Check out this link for medical accurate information below:

https://www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html#discharge

Even really good exotics vets can mis-diagnose a piggie, so it's important that we as owners, take some responsibility and educate "ourselves" on all things medically related as best we can, you know ?

The vet isn't a vet who major in exotic animals. But all the other cavy mommy in my country recommend going there.
Yes, the vet did flush the dirt on the eyes.
Thank you for your advice, it's my 1st time having a guinea pig. I will have to learn more about these cute little creatures then :)

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Well yurigiri, I wish your piggie Babayo a speedy recovery, warm wishes and prayers !

Like the others said, it is most likely that the medicine hasn't had a chance to "kick in" yet, and his little body just needs more time to fight his URI. However, if he doesn't seem to be steadily improving, be sure to call your vet for he may need to switch antibiotics. Hope he starts to feel better soon !

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Actually, after three days the pig should be showing visible improvement. It's possible the antibiotic isn't the right one of this bacteria. What were the meds prescribed?

yurigiri

Cavy Slave
Actually, after three days the pig should be showing visible improvement. It's possible the antibiotic isn't the right one of this bacteria. What were the meds prescribed?

Baytril 0.2ml for 10 days, twice a day.
Anti-inflammatory medicine 0.1ml a day for 4 days (medication completed).
Getamicine eye oilment. Twice a day for 7 days.

He still does wipe his nose with his paws.
I think his sneezing is getting slightly better. Lesser and softer in sound.

His right eye is still kinda swollen. Maybe that's because it's related to the infection? Until the infection is cured, then only the swell goes down...?
D:
So right now, i have given so far 3-4 days worth of anti-biotic.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Is his right eye swollen underneath, or is the eye itself protruding, or "swollen"? because protruding eyes can mean something else. Let me get a direct quote from guinea lynx about that for you ! Here it is below:

Protruding eyes can indicate an abscess, elongated roots, or other problem. An x-ray can often help diagnose these conditions. Conjunctivitis, foreign items stuck behind the eye, dry eye, ulcers, and tumors can be the cause of a swollen eye. Often eye infections or damage will result in a general cloudiness of the entire eye. Watery eyes may be the result of a plugged tear duct.

So, I might ask your vet about that, if this quoted paragraph above, sounds like what your piggie might be suffering from.

Good luck to you !

Last edited:

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
How old are they? Is the eye still cloudy?

yurigiri

Cavy Slave
How old are they? Is the eye still cloudy?

They are 3 months old.

The eye isn't cloudy. It has a clear pink color, the usual color.
Though the sclera part is white. I'm not sure if it's normal. I only got him for a week plus. I can't remember if the sclera part is supposed to be white.
But I do know Bunny's sclera is natural blue :)

Babayo's right eye is still protruding. But I can see a slight improvement.

I hope his health will continue to improve day by day, even if it's just a little bit.

yurigiri

Cavy Slave
Is his right eye swollen underneath, or is the eye itself protruding, or "swollen"? because protruding eyes can mean something else. Let me get a direct quote from guinea lynx about that for you ! Here it is below:

Protruding eyes can indicate an abscess, elongated roots, or other problem. An x-ray can often help diagnose these conditions. Conjunctivitis, foreign items stuck behind the eye, dry eye, ulcers, and tumors can be the cause of a swollen eye. Often eye infections or damage will result in a general cloudiness of the entire eye. Watery eyes may be the result of a plugged tear duct.

So, I might ask your vet about that, if this quoted paragraph above, sounds like what your piggie might be suffering from.

Good luck to you !

His eye lid that surrounds his right eye is swollen and it's also protruding outwards.
I think his eye is getting better, very slightly. I hope it will daily, bit by bit.

Oh, in where I live, the vets don't pick up calls. If you want to ask something, you need to go there personally and pay the consultation fee.

Thank you a lot for your advices. I feel less worried about Babayo. (Still a little though, can't help it XD)

yurigiri

Cavy Slave
Babayo is on a road to recovery, from his respiratory infection hurrayy

However Babayo has a bald spot on both his face and on his arm. He scratched it till it bleeds.
Bunny also has a bald spot with similar symptoms (just to be flaky, then fur comes out easily) on his hip.

I brought them to the vet today. The vet say she couldn't detect any mites.
I ask if it's some sort of fungus. The vet say it doesn't look like fungus.

It looked more like mites infection, but there aren't any mites the vet could spot yet.

As my gpigs are 3 month old, the vet gave a mild dose of revolution for the mites.
And gave me this solution which looked like diluted-soapy water. To apply onto the affect area with cotton wool.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Yikes! This is why we advocate adopting piggies rather than buying from pet stores. They can have so many issues and most people who usually buy guinea pigs (or other animals) would have let them go without vet care, so good for you on doing your research and getting them vet care. Sorry you are having so many issues. I hope they pull through it...

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I am glad the vet gave you Revolution. I'm not surprised the vet couldn't actually find any mites, because they are very hard to find. They can be easily missed with skin scrapings and even skin biopsies, and of course are microscopic so you can't see them.

I wouldn't bother with the solution. You don't want anything to interfere with the action of the Revolution.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.