PDA

View Full Version : Teeth Possible Overgrowth

Tmmgrl96
04-04-11, 06:50 pm
I'm a little worried about my guinea pig Cocoapuff. I've been noticing that his food pellets seem to be slowly turning to mash, his chin is often wet, and he's grinding his teeth a bit. At first I thought that his chin being wet was from him drinking water from his bottle, and the teeth grinding I thought was normal since our other two piggies have grinded their teeth as well. Also when he eats carrots I see little bits dropping out. (He loves carrots, so I thought it could've been due to him eating it so fast.) His pellets recently becoming mash-like is what's getting me worried. We give him things to chew on, so I'm not sure if his teeth ARE overgrown. If they are, then I don't know what I'm going to do since currently my family doesn't have the money to pay for a vet visit. Does anybody have any advice?

Deb's4Pigs
04-04-11, 10:45 pm
There's really not much else you can do. A vet is the only one that can trim his teeth. They also need to check his back ones as well.

kathlaaron
04-05-11, 12:11 am
http://www.guinealynx.info/malocclusion.html

It honestly sounds like malocclusion to me ! Check out the link above, and from what you have described, that's immediately what came to mind. However, hope this helps !

lissie
04-05-11, 01:59 am
Is he losing weight? You will need to handfeed him if he cannot eat on his own. Are you feeding hay? Chew toys don't help trim down their teeth. Unlimited amount of hay is what he needs.

Tmmgrl96
04-05-11, 08:25 pm
Yes he has hay. I'll see if I can get my mom to schedule an appointment with the vet.

foggycreekcavy
04-06-11, 10:25 am
Yes, take him to a vet asap. They will need to anesthetize him to do it. It can be expensive, unfortunately, and then he most likely will need to be handfed Critical Care (or you can make a mash of his pellets) for a few days.

Unfortunately, sometimes it takes more than one trimming.

How old is your pig? If you can't afford the vet care, you may have to consider finding him a home with someone who can. Some vets will even let you surrender pets to them. The alternative would be to have him humanely euthanized. I realize it sounds harsh, but it's better than slowly starving to death, which is what will happen if he doesn't get his dental issue fixed.

Good luck with whatever you decide.