Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Won't stop digging under fleece!

ILoveMillie

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig, Millie, has a real problem with digging under the fleece. I have tried to clothespin the edges of the fleece to the sides of the coroplast but this doesn't look very neat and tidy. I folded the fleece under the towels and was going to add bricks to put around the edges. I was wondering if there are any other solutions to this problem that might work and look better?

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Do you have things in the cage that they CAN dig and burry themselves under? It may not look the greatest to have bricks or tiles in the cage but its a better solution than the mess they can make under the fleece...

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
I had the same issue with my boys.
I ended up making grids to put in the bottom of the coroplast base.

I use it to secure the towels.

Once I have the towels secured to the grids, I tuck my fleece under the grids.
I cut my fleece large enough to cover the 6 inch sides of the base, but I don't actually cover the base.

I know it probably sounds really complicated but it has worked well for me.
Maybe it would do the trick for you as well.

thebeachdreamer

Cavy Slave
My babies found a way under my fleece no matter what I did. I tried tiles because I hated the look of bricks, they just moved the tiles! I tried putting their beds and litter boxes in the corners, they just moved them as well.

I finally went with the bricks. One in each corner and one on each side in the middle. My cage is a 2x8 and they no longer go under. It also helps to put things like cereal boxes and other empty boxes (I use every box that comes from my cupboard as a hidey, ie., pop tart boxes, cereal, instant oatmeal boxes, stove top, etc.) It keeps them busy and happy!

My hubby actually came up with an idea to help with the look of the bricks. He used spray paint and painted the bricks to match my two different sets of fleece. Black and red for my Georgia Bulldog set and pinks and purple to match my other set. They do the job and look great!

I let them dry outside for a week before I put them in the cage so there was no left over smell.

ILoveMillie

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! So far she hasn't dug under, but its only been a few hours! I am going to try all the different methods! :) I am hopefully going to be expanding my cage soon so I will try the grid on top of coroplast method!

amandacv86

Cavy Slave
You could also make the coroplast tray go on the outside of the grids so the whole cage would be sitting on top of the fleece to hold it down. I hope you find a solution. That must be frustrating!❤️

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Hello ILoveMillie ! I have one more suggestion for you if you would like. I buy my anti-pill fleece a little extra big so that I can make it go up and over the coroplast walls. This has also kept me from having to use clips along the edges. On one side of my cage I bought the 12 inch sides, and on the other it is the normal 6 inches.(coroplast) In the beginning I read a lot about burrowing under fleece and so that is why right away, I decided to cover up and over on all sides to hopefully avoid a problem that others have had so much frustration over.

I also suspected that I might have problems with one of my girls Buttercup, who is very very curious and loves to burrow, push items around, ect. I do not have to use clips or anything because I make sure to order fleece that is wide enough to do this. It has worked extremely well for me ! If you would like to check my cage out, just go to my personal albums page and take a look and see what you think !

I also have a 2 x 2 hayloft where I keep big piles of hay on one side (where they can burrow to their heart's content) and a cozy on the other, and my girls just love it ! I also use tunnels and such to keep them occupied, with items that keep them from getting bored, and I switch things around from time to time to keep their home interesting for them. Hope I helped a little bit ! I loved all the ideas everyone else gave you too !:)

Last edited:

ILoveMillie

Cavy Slave
So far she has only tried to dig when I took everything out of her cage to spot clean. I put a huge pile of hay in one corner, and I usually find her burrowed in there so that is keeping her occupied! I never thought about the fleece going all the way around the coroplast, thats a good idea! Thanks! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.