PDA

View Full Version : Hair Loss Could This be fungus infection on nose?

edevildude
03-23-11, 07:16 pm
Hey, Sorry about bringing this up again. I was going to comment on the other post but it got locked :-/

So i figured better safe then sorry and ask. Well I noticed today when I was looking at Rufus (The one who doesn't have the URI) That he has a small bald spot on his nose and the skin is a little "Flaky?". I was wondering if this could be a Fungus infection. He also has a slight blad spot on the top of his head, but that one looks like healthy skin under no Dandruff or flaky stuff, and has always been there.

I read on http://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html And i think it kinda looks the same?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/edevildude/IMG_6384.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/edevildude/IMG_6379.jpg

What do you guys think. He is acting/eating/drinking Perfectly normal He is about 6mth or less and 400g atm

Onetwo
03-23-11, 07:37 pm
Yes definately looks like ringworm/fungus. Seek treatment from a local vet and use the advice on GL ringworm/fungus links...

edevildude
03-23-11, 07:49 pm
What about using "Nizoral Anti-Dandruff Shampoo" & "Lotrimin AF Antifungal Clotrimazole Cream for Ringworm" Like GL states. I only ask because I have brought my guys to the vet twice in the last 2 weeks ($230 later) so I'm really trying to avoid having to go AGAIN if theres a possibility for over-the-counter treatment. But I mean if there really is NO other option I'm fine with it. Just kinda seeing my options if you catch my drift.

Also the GL site about it kinda confused me a bit. does it start as ringworm? or progress into it? And what exactly is the NON-medical things to do for this?

kathlaaron
03-23-11, 07:57 pm
I agree with Onetwo, it looks like a fungal infection to me too. I would take him as soon as you can to your vet. Make sure you separate your piggie, and wear protective clothing and gloves when handling Rufus. After you remove Rufus, make sure that you clean and disinfect the whole cage and everything in it. Be sure to follow the great instructions given on guinea lynx web site concerning fungus infections.

foggycreekcavy
03-23-11, 10:23 pm
You can attempt to treat it yourself using an over the counter fungal creme, like Monistat or Lotrimin. Apply to the affected area a few times a day. If it doesn't appear to be improving then take the pig to the vet.

edevildude
03-23-11, 11:17 pm
alright, I think I will call my Vet tomorrow and see what they say. I would like to try the over the counter first seeing as it doesn't appear to be too bad atm.

Unfortunately I wont be needing to separate them anymore as peanut, My other piggy sadly passed away in my arms tonight a little while after posting this...He had what was thought to be a URI, he had been on anti-biotic for 4 days, But after 15 min of seizures in my hands before finally passing, I believe it might have been something more.

Rufus is kind of down now, I am just hoping he doesn't catch whatever peanut had, or come down with something because he's sad (if they even do that)

kathlaaron
03-24-11, 12:54 am
OH NO ! I am so very very sorry ! My deepest condolences for your loss of Peanut, warm hugs and loving thoughts to you.

pinky
03-24-11, 06:13 am
I'm so sorry about Peanut. You sure have a lot on your plate now... :-( I hope Rufus is better soon.

edevildude
03-24-11, 10:27 am
Thanks guys, And Yeah It's rough because rufus usually runs around and makes noises every morning...But not this morning...He is just sitting inside his hut all morning it's so depressing!

And i am brining Him to the vet this afternoon just so the doctor can completed look him over and tell me what I need to do. I know I need to wait until I'm 100% sure rufus is better before I get him another buddy, It's gonna kill me watching him sad though :(

Duffinvt
03-24-11, 12:37 pm
Please post after the vet visit so we will know what the vet said!

Onetwo
03-24-11, 12:41 pm
Hmmm Mites can cause seizures and death in guinea pigs if left untreated for a long time. But you would have noticed because there would have been EXCESSIVE scratching, tons of hair loss and lots of scabs/sores from the mites and scratching to get to that point. But the dry white flakey scales definately look like ringworm. Ringworm is the same as fungus there is no differece just a name. It is also called athletes foot, Jock itch, and even yeast infections. They are all fungi and all can be treated fairly easy with an antifungal. Your vet will probably tell you the same thing an antifungal soap and an antifungal cream that you would usually purchase at the store for yourself. They do have RX creams and shampoos but since it is a minor case you can just treat it yourself but treat it really well because otherwise it can become resistant to the antifungal. When I had this issue with my piggy Lynx told me to give said piggy bath with the Nizoral every 3-5 days for a month and treat twice daily with the cream. Bathes normally shouldnt be given so excessively with GPs but my piggy had been batteling it for 4+ months and had become resistant. I wish I had done it more aggressively and had it done and over with. I ended have to shave my Texel weekly until the fungus was gone to administer the RX cream...

I say bathe the piggy with the shampoo every 5-7 days and after the bathe when the piggy is still wet slather the cream on the affected parts and then some. Dry with towel very well and brush the fur so the cream doesnt dry in clumps...