Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Neutering/Spaying My hearts breaking.

Camerafreak

Cavy Slave
This morning I took my Archie to the vet to be neutered. I feel horrible for putting my little Archie through so much pain just so He can be with another pig. I mean I could have split the cage and had them be right beside each other. The vet just called and told me that he did great. They said that I can come get him tonight after five. So right now I'm working on making his cage a 2x1 so that he doesn't get too rough with his incision. I think she said that he doesn't have stitches so I'm guessing they used glue. I will keep you guys updated about how he's doing and everything tonight. I was told that she is giving me pain meds that have inflammatory stuff in it. She is also providing me with critical care incase he stops eating. I’m so glad that this Dr. ended up being so great. I think that was my biggest worry.

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Wow, I thought you were going to say it was bad news. Whew! I am glad he did well. I am sure it will be great that they can really be together in the same cage. My local rescue neuters all the boars. Seems to make sense so they cannot accidentally impregnate females, there or in their new homes.

MyLittlePiggy07

Cavy Slave
I thought you were going to have bad news too! You should be happy that the vet says he is doing great! That's awesome news. I'm sure you are still worried since you don't want your lil' guy to be in pain. Just imagine how happy he will be with a cage mate when he recovers. I wish him a speedy recovery! =]

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
I'm so glad he's doing well. I tried to get Rudy done and he almost died.

Camerafreak

Cavy Slave
I'm soo sorry too hear that Deb! My biggest fear is his recovery. I have heard a lot of horrible storries when it comes to guinea pigs healing.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Did you vet prescribe an antibiotic and probiotic? I know there are different views on that but my male ended up with double abscesses so I would highly recommend it. I was meticulous keeping the incisions clean and it still got infected.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
I'm sure he'll do fine since he made it through the surgery. Just keep checking his incisions.

Since I couldn't put Rudy in with the girls like I had planned and I loved him too much to give him back, it got me my other boys.

Last edited:

Camerafreak

Cavy Slave
They didn't perscribe a probiotic or an antibiotic.... Should I call and ask for one just in case? How is Rudy now of days Deb?

stephaniedrew

Cavy Slave
i love you babe! im glad hes fine!

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Last edited:

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
According to what I read on cavy spirit, they strongly advise the use of antibiotic's after surgery because it is easier to prevent an infection after surgery, then it is to deal with one later. It is really hard to keep the area clean, under the best of circumstances, or how good a job you do with keeping the incision clean. There are obviously pros and cons to this, but they explain it much better here about it: Guinea Pig Neutering, How to Neuter your Guinea Pigs
Read the bottom half of this cavy spirit site, which explains their reasons for promoting the use of antibiotics, o.k. ? Hope I helped some !

So, again warm wishes and good luck with your sweetie ! :)

Last edited:

pinky

Cavy Slave
I've only had one guinea pig neutered so I am in no way an expert on it but I was one of the unlucky ones with a pig that developed an abscess. I used (and still use) fleece bedding during his recovery. I changed it three times a day. My vet did not prescribe an antibiotic. I checked the incision frequently and I thought it was all healed up when I noticed it looked swollen and saw some leakage on one side nearly three weeks after the surgery. To make a long story short, the other side was starting up, too. The abscesses were cleaned out and he was put on an antibiotic and a probiotic. I took him back multiple times to be rechecked. My vet did not charge me for the follow up visits. In hindsight, I think all the extra could have been avoided had he been prescribed the antibiotic and probiotic at the time of surgery. I think the fear is that they will have a rough time with the antibiotic but as long as you use an probiotic with it, that shouldn't be a problem. If I ever did it again, I would insist on an antibiotic and probiotic.

Camerafreak

Cavy Slave
I think I will go ahead and call the vet tomorrow and talk to them about getting an antibiotic for my little guy. He hates beeing in such a small cage. He's completely destroyed his cage and he keeps running laps in it. I'm sure he misses being in a 2x4 but I don't want to risk him having any problems. How long should I keep him in such a small cage? The lady that gave him to us after his surgery wasn't his doctor and she knew nothing about guinea pigs. She said to keep him in a smaller cage and away from the other pigs for at least a week. From what I read he should be away from other pigs for 4 weeks...

GotPigs?

Cavy Slave
I'm glad he's doing well! Other than being stir crazy in his temporary digs.

Just my own personal experience with a boar neuter- Big Red got neutered last August and I too had read that he should be put on an antibiotic and a probiotic. When I asked my vet about it she said she'd rather not because it really upsets their GI flora, even with a probiotic on board. I took him home to his temporary pet store cage, lined with several layers of newspaper laid flat. I changed the newspaper 3 times a day for two weeks and checked his incision daily. Big Red did really great, no infection or inflammation, and he now gets to live with his girlfriend Eddie.

I'm sure you've researched this but remember to wait about 3-4 weeks before putting him back in with any females, and don't be surprised when he doesn't give up trying to romance them :p

Camerafreak

Cavy Slave
As for today, Archie has been constipated and having to pull out his poops. He also walks oddly, almost hopping like a rabbit. I plan on calling the vet tomorrow after I get off work so that they can get in to see him. I have a few questions for her anyways. I'd also like to talk to the actual doctor that did the procedure. I am pretty worried about him. His poops have been a lot shorter than usual but not misshapen or discolored. His incisions aren't red or swollen any bit either so I don't think they're infected.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
I hope it's not serious.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Neutering changes a male's poop--it goes from long and banana shaped to short and straight.

By constipated, do you mean unable to push the poops out of his anal sac? That's somewhat common after a male is neutered--it usually resolves itself.

Camerafreak

Cavy Slave
Ok thank god! He had me worried and his vet told me to give them a call if he seemed constipated. When we called them today they said to give him baby food to provide fiber for him.... is that even safe? Also how long should he be restricted to a smaller cage? I know that they have to be away from the females for 3-4 weeks but I'd like to extend him from a 2x1 back to a 2x4 ASAP.

Camerafreak

Cavy Slave
After getting out of the shower this morning I went to check on Archie and he was digging at his incisions!! I picked him up and saw that he was swollen and slightly bleeding. I am worried crapless about leaving him alone today. I plan on calling the vet now and leaving them a message.... I feel bad for the poor guy.
This is how swollen he is:

The damage he did while digging at himself:

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
Bad pig. Is it more swollen? How long ago was he neutered?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.